|Current region||Mumbai, Maharashtra, India|
|Place of origin||Samundri, Punjab, British India
(Prithviraj Kapoor in 1906 CE)
|Connected families||Bachchan family
Surinder Kapoor family
|Heirlooms||R. K. Studio, Prithvi Theatre|
|Estate||Krishna Raj Bungalow, Mumbai, India|
|Active since 1929; Prithviraj Kapoor acted in Alam Ara (1931), the first talkie film of India|
The Kapoor family is of Punjabi Hindu origin. Prithviraj Kapoor was the first from the family to pursue a career in films. He was born in 1906 in the town of Samundri in Punjab Province, British India. His father, Basheshwarnath Kapoor, served as a police officer in the Indian Imperial Police in the city of Peshawar; while his grandfather, Keshavmal Kapoor, was a Tehsildar in Samundri, Punjab, British India. Prithviraj's first lead role was in Cinema Girl in 1929 CE.
All three of Prithviraj Kapoor's sons, Raj Kapoor, Shammi Kapoor, and Shashi Kapoor, made careers in the Hindi film industry. Raj Kapoor also known as "the greatest showman of Indian cinema", became a noted Indian film actor, producer and director of Hindi cinema.
Raj Kapoor's sons, Randhir Kapoor and Rishi Kapoor, went on to become well-known actors; his youngest son, Rajiv Kapoor, was not as successful as his brothers. Shashi Kapoor's daughter Sanjana Kapoor also became a film actress, although she had a short career.
Randhir Kapoor is married to Babita. They have two daughters Karisma Kapoor and Kareena Kapoor, both of whom have found success in the film industry. Rishi Kapoor is married to actress Neetu Singh, their son, Ranbir Kapoor, has established himself as a leading Bollywood actor.
Notable members of the Kapoor family
- Prithviraj Kapoor – first member of family to enter the Hindi film industry, commonly known as "Bollywood".
- Trilok Kapoor – second son of Basheshwarnath Kapoor
- Raj Kapoor – eldest son of Prithviraj; married to Krishna Malhotra, sister of actor Prem Nath
- Shammi Kapoor – second son of Prithviraj; married to Geeta Bali (first wife) and Neila Devi (second wife)
- Shashi Kapoor – youngest son of Prithviraj; married to Jennifer Kendal
- Randhir Kapoor – eldest son of Raj Kapoor; married to Babita
- Ritu Nanda née Kapoor – elder daughter of Raj Kapoor; married to Rajan Nanda
- Rima Kapoor Jain – second daughter of Raj Kapoor; married to Manoj Jain
- Rishi Kapoor – second son of Raj Kapoor; married to Neetu Singh Kapoor
- Rajiv Kapoor – youngest son of Raj Kapoor
- Aditya Raj Kapoor – son of Shammi Kapoor and Geeta Bali
- Karan Kapoor – elder son of Shashi Kapoor and Jennifer Kendal
- Kunal Kapoor – younger son of Shashi Kapoor and Jennifer Kendal
- Sanjana Kapoor – daughter of Shashi Kapoor and Jennifer Kendal; married to Valmik Thapar
- Karisma Kapoor — elder daughter of Randhir Kapoor and Babita; was married to Sanjay Kapur, a businessman.
- Kareena Kapoor — younger daughter of Randhir Kapoor and Babita; married to actor Saif Ali Khan.
- Riddhima Kapoor Sahani - daughter of Rishi Kapoor and Neetu Singh Kapoor.
- Ranbir Kapoor — son of Rishi Kapoor and Neetu Singh Kapoor
- Nikhil Nanda — son of Ritu Nanda and Rajan Nanda; married to Shweta Bachchan, daughter of actors Amitabh Bachchan and Jaya Bachchan
- Armaan Jain — elder son of Rima Jain and Manoj Jain, debuted as actor in Lekar Hum Deewana Dil
- Shivani Kapoor - cousin of Karisma and Kareena Kapoor.
R.K. Film and R. K. Studio entrance, Mumbai.
- Nirpal Dhaliwal. "Nirpal Dhaliwal: My Bollywood bit part | Film". The Guardian. Retrieved 2014-07-13.
- Sharmistha Gooptu
- Fashion Cultures: Theories, Explorations, and Analysis edited by Stella Bruzzi, Pamela Church
- Showman Raj Kapoor’s house to be converted into museum By Hidayat KhanPublished: September 23, 2012 http://tribune.com.pk/story/441304/showman-raj-kapoors-house-to-be-converted-into-museum/
- "Nikhil Nanda & Shweta Bachchan - Take a peek at the business & political landscape of marriages | The Economic Times". Economictimes.indiatimes.com. 2013-03-22. Retrieved 2014-07-13.
- Bina Rai: The good old days Screen.
- Talk Back: Eye On India (Interview with Anil Kapoor) Ep33 Pt1. Dawn News. Retrieved 2012-08-23.
I'm a Pathan's son... my father, my grandfather they were all Pathans from Peshawar...
- Sen, Shomini (13 October 2012). "What Sharmila couldn't do in her time, Kareena manages easily". Zee News. Retrieved 15 August 2013.
- Bengali Cinema: 'An Other Nation' by Sharmistha Gooptu
- "Prithviraj Kapoor (Indian actor) - Encyclopedia Britannica". Britannica.com. 2013-02-04. Retrieved 2014-07-13.
- Untitled Document
- rediff.com: Bollywood's First Family
- "14th December 1924: Raj Kapoor, Indian actors and directors, was born". mapsofindia.com. 18 February 2016.
- "Raj Kapoor: The Greatest Showman". sulekha.com. 18 February 2016.
- "Raj Kapoor and the Golden Age of Indian Cinema". hcl.harvard.edu. 19 February 2015.
- "Nikhil Nanda: The business of life - The Times of India". Timesofindia.indiatimes.com. Retrieved 2014-07-13.
- Ranbir Kapoor helps Armaan Jain to debut in Saif's Lekar Hum Deewana Dil
- Chatterjee, Ashok (17 May 2006). "'I want to be a master of talent'". The Times of India. Retrieved 25 August 2007.
- "Indian cinema@100: 35 fun facts about the Kapoors of Bollywood". NDTV. April 29, 2013. Retrieved May 3, 2013.