|Current region||Mumbai, India|
|Place of origin||Samundri, Punjab, British India|
|Connected families||Bachchan family|
|Heirlooms||R. K. Studio|
|Estate||Krishna Raj Bungalow|
|Active since 1929; Prithviraj Kapoor acted in Alam Ara (1931), the first talkie film of India|
The Kapoor family is of Punjabi Hindu origin. Prithviraj Kapoor was the first from the family to pursue acting. He was born in the town of Samundri in Punjab, British India in 1906. His father, Basheshwarnath Kapoor, served as a police officer in the Indian Imperial Police in the city of Peshawar; while his grandfather, Keshavmal Kapoor, was a Tehsildar in Samundri, Punjab, British India. Prithviraj's first lead role was in Cinema Girl in 1929.
All three of Prithviraj Kapoor's sons, Raj Kapoor, Shammi Kapoor, and Shashi Kapoor, became actors. Raj Kapoor's sons, Randhir Kapoor and Rishi Kapoor, went on to become well-known actors; his youngest son, Rajiv Kapoor, was not as successful as his brothers. Shashi Kapoor's daughter Sanjana Kapoor also became a film actress, although she had a short career.
The daughters of Randhir Kapoor and Babita, Karisma Kapoor and Kareena Kapoor, have found success in the film industry. Rishi Kapoor's son, Ranbir Kapoor, has established himself as a leading Bollywood actor.
Notable members of the Kapoor family
- Prithviraj Kapoor – first member of the family to enter the Hindi film industry, "Bollywood"
- Trilok Kapoor – second son of Basheshwarnath Kapoor
- Raj Kapoor – eldest son of Prithviraj; married to Krishna Malhotra, sister of actor Prem Nath
- Shammi Kapoor – second son of Prithviraj; married to Geeta Bali (first wife) and Neila Devi (second wife)
- Shashi Kapoor – youngest son of Prithviraj; married to Jennifer Kendal
- Randhir Kapoor – eldest son of Raj Kapoor; married to Babita Kapoor
- Ritu Nanda – elder daughter of Raj Kapoor; married to Rajan Nanda
- Rima Kapoor - daughter of Raj Kapoor
- Rishi Kapoor – second son of Raj Kapoor; married to Neetu Singh Kapoor
- Rajiv Kapoor – youngest son of Raj Kapoor
- Aditya Raj Kapoor – son of Shammi Kapoor; married to Priti
- Kunal Kapoor – younger son of Shashi Kapoor and Jennifer Kendal; married to Sheena Sippy, daughter of film director Ramesh Sippy
- Karan Kapoor – elder son of Shashi Kapoor and Jennifer Kendal
- Sanjana Kapoor – daughter of Shashi Kapoor and Jennifer Kendal; married to Valmik Thapar
- Karisma Kapoor — elder daughter of Randhir Kapoor and Babita; was married to Sanjay Kapur, a businessman.
- Kareena Kapoor Khan — younger daughter of Randhir Kapoor and Babita; married to actor Saif Ali Khan
- Ranbir Kapoor — son of Rishi Kapoor and Neetu Singh Kapoor
- Riddhima Kapoor Sahani - daughter of Rishi Kapoor and Neetu Singh Kapoor
- Sasha Agha — daughter of Rehmat Khan and Salma Agha; related to the family through her grand father Jugul Kishore Mehra, who was the cousin of Raj, Shammi and Sashi
- Nikhil Nanda — son of Ritu Nanda and Rajan Nanda; married to Shweta Bachchan, daughter of actors Amitabh Bachchan and Jaya Bachchan
- Armaan Jain — elder son of Rima Jain and Manoj Jain
- Shivani Kapoor - cousin of Karisma and Kareena Kapoor
R.K. Film and R. K. Studio entrance, Mumbai.
- Showman Raj Kapoor’s house to be converted into museum By Hidayat KhanPublished: September 23, 2012 http://tribune.com.pk/story/441304/showman-raj-kapoors-house-to-be-converted-into-museum/
- "Nikhil Nanda & Shweta Bachchan - Take a peek at the business & political landscape of marriages | The Economic Times". Economictimes.indiatimes.com. 2013-03-22. Retrieved 2014-07-13.
- Nirpal Dhaliwal. "Nirpal Dhaliwal: My Bollywood bit part | Film". The Guardian. Retrieved 2014-07-13.
- Sharmistha Gooptu
- Bengali Cinema: 'An Other Nation' by Sharmistha Gooptu
- Fashion Cultures: Theories, Explorations, and Analysis edited by Stella Bruzzi, Pamela Church
- "Prithviraj Kapoor (Indian actor) - Encyclopedia Britannica". Britannica.com. 2013-02-04. Retrieved 2014-07-13.
- Untitled Document
- rediff.com: Bollywood's First Family
- "Nikhil Nanda: The business of life - The Times of India". Timesofindia.indiatimes.com. Retrieved 2014-07-13.
- "Kareena Kapoor, Ranbir Kapoor to root for cousin Sasha Agha's Aurangzeb". daily.bhaskar.com.
- "Indian cinema@100: 35 fun facts about the Kapoors of Bollywood". NDTV. April 29, 2013. Retrieved May 3, 2013.