Epoch J2000 Equinox J2000
|Right ascension||15h 40m 21.33360s|
|Declination||–73° 26′ 48.0648″|
|Apparent magnitude (V)||5.65|
|Spectral type||B7 III-IV + K0 V|
|U−B color index||–0.38|
|B−V color index||–0.04|
|Radial velocity (Rv)||–19.0 km/s|
|Proper motion (μ)||RA: –12.36 mas/yr
Dec.: –20.56 mas/yr
|Parallax (π)||4.18 ± 0.28 mas|
|Distance||780 ± 50 ly
(240 ± 20 pc)
Kappa2 Apodis (κ2 Apodis) is the Bayer designation for a double star in the southern circumpolar constellation of Apus. It is located at a distance of roughly 780 light-years (240 parsecs) from Earth, based upon parallax measurements with a 7% margin of error. The pair have a combined apparent visual magnitude of +5.65, which makes the system faintly visible to the naked eye.
The brighter star has a stellar classification of B7 III-IV, with the luminosity class of III-IV suggesting that it may lie in an intermediate stage between a subgiant and a giant star. The faint companion is a K-type main sequence star with a classification of K0 V. It has a visual magnitude of 12.5 and an angular separation of 15 arcseconds from the brighter member.
- van Leeuwen, F. (November 2007), "Validation of the new Hipparcos reduction", Astronomy and Astrophysics, 474 (2): 653–664, arXiv: , Bibcode:2007A&A...474..653V, doi:10.1051/0004-6361:20078357.
- Johnson, H. L.; et al. (1966), "UBVRIJKL photometry of the bright stars", Communications of the Lunar and Planetary Laboratory, 4 (99), Bibcode:1966CoLPL...4...99J.
- Eggleton, P. P.; Tokovinin, A. A. (September 2008), "A catalogue of multiplicity among bright stellar systems", Monthly Notices of the Royal Astronomical Society, 389 (2): 869–879, arXiv: , Bibcode:2008MNRAS.389..869E, doi:10.1111/j.1365-2966.2008.13596.x.
- Wilson, Ralph Elmer (1953), General Catalogue of Stellar Radial Velocities, Washington: Carnegie Institution of Washington, Bibcode:1953GCRV..C......0W.
- "HR 5782 -- Star in double system", SIMBAD Astronomical Object Database, Centre de Données astronomiques de Strasbourg, retrieved 2012-07-10.
- Houk, Nancy (1978), Michigan catalogue of two-dimensional spectral types for the HD stars, 1, Ann Arbor: Dept. of Astronomy, University of Michigan, Bibcode:1975mcts.book.....H.