Kappel am Albis
|Kappel am Albis|
|• Mayor||Kurt Bär|
|• Total||7.91 km2 (3.05 sq mi)|
|Elevation||573 m (1,880 ft)|
|Population (Dec 2017)|
|• Density||140/km2 (370/sq mi)|
|Surrounded by||Baar (ZG), Hausen am Albis, Knonau, Mettmenstetten, Rifferswil, Steinhausen (ZG)|
Kappel am Albis is first mentioned in 1185 as de Capella.
It was the location of the Wars of Kappel in 1529 and 1531, during the turmoils that accompanied the Reformation of Huldrych Zwingli. A monument to Zwingli is located nearby at the hamlet of Näfenhäuser.
Kappel am Albis has an area of 7.8 km2 (3.0 sq mi). Of this area, 70.6% is used for agricultural purposes, while 21% is forested. Of the rest of the land, 7.4% is settled (buildings or roads) and the remainder (1%) is non-productive (rivers, glaciers or mountains).
Kappel am Albis has a population (as of 31 December 2017) of 1,125. As of 2007[update], 8.9% of the population was made up of foreign nationals. Over the last 10 years the population has decreased at a rate of -0.7%. Most of the population (as of 2000[update]) speaks German (96.1%), with English being second most common ( 1.3%) and French being third ( 0.7%).
The age distribution of the population (as of 2000[update]) is children and teenagers (0–19 years old) make up 28.1% of the population, while adults (20–64 years old) make up 60.8% and seniors (over 64 years old) make up 11.1%. The entire Swiss population is generally well educated. In Kappel am Albis about 83.6% of the population (between age 25-64) have completed either non-mandatory upper secondary education or additional higher education (either university or a Fachhochschule).
Kappel am Albis has an unemployment rate of 1.09%. As of 2005[update], there were 75 people employed in the primary economic sector and about 29 businesses involved in this sector. 65 people are employed in the secondary sector and there are 18 businesses in this sector. 124 people are employed in the tertiary sector, with 25 businesses in this sector. The historical population is given in the following table:
- Arealstatistik Standard - Gemeindedaten nach 4 Hauptbereichen
- Swiss Federal Statistical Office - STAT-TAB, online database – Ständige und nichtständige Wohnbevölkerung nach institutionellen Gliederungen, Geburtsort und Staatsangehörigkeit (in German) accessed 17 September 2018
- Kappel am Albis in German, French and Italian in the online Historical Dictionary of Switzerland.
- "Haus der Stille und Besinnung" Archived 2007-08-08 at the Wayback Machine. (House for Peace and Recoupment)
- Swiss Federal Statistical Office Archived 2016-01-05 at the Wayback Machine. accessed 22-Jul-2009
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Kappel am Albis.|