Karachi City railway station
|This article needs additional citations for verification. (January 2015) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
|Location||1622 I. I. Chundrigar Road
Karachi, Sindh 74000
|Owned by||Pakistan Railways|
|Line(s)||Karachi–Peshawar Railway Line
Karachi Circular Railway
|Opened||May 3rd, 1864|
|Previous names||McLeod Station|
Karachi City Station (Urdu: کراچی شہر اسٹیشن ) (formerly McLeod Station) is one of two main Karachi railway terminals. The station is located on I. I. Chundrigar Road, adjacent to Habib Bank Plaza, in Karachi, Sindh, Pakistan. This station is headquarters of the Pakistan Railways Karachi Division. Due to the lack of space, most passenger trains have been moved to Karachi Cantonment Station.
Karachi City station was originally known as McLeod Station, and is the oldest railway station in Pakistan. It served as the southern terminus point of the Scinde Railway, which was established in March 1855. A railway line was to be constructed between Karachi and Kotri and work on the Karachi terminus commenced in April 1858. By 13 May 1861, the station opened to the public. This was the first railway line for public traffic between Karachi and Kotri, a distance of 108 miles (174 km).
Karachi City Station is equipped with all basic facilities. The station has current and advance reservation offices for Pakistan Railways as well as cargo and parcel facilities. Retail shops are found on platform 1.
Trains that originate from Karachi City Station are as follow:
|Preceding station||Pakistan Railways||Following station|
|Terminus||Bahauddin Zakaria Express||
toward Multan Cantonment
toward Lahore Junction
|Terminus||Khushhal Khan Khattak Express||
toward Peshawar Cantonment
toward Jacobabad Junction
- Official Web Site of Pakistan Railways Archived May 14, 2010, at the Wayback Machine.
- Salman, Peerzada (2010-05-09). "Keeping track of history". Dawn.com. Retrieved 2010-06-13.
- Grace’s Guide “Scinde Railway” Retrieved on 2 January 2016
- H.M. Government “Statute Law Repeals: Nineteenth Report : Draft Statute Law (Repeals) Bill; April 2012"; pages 134-135, paragraphs 3.78-3.83 Retrieved on 2 January 2016
- "Money Market and City Intelligence", "The Times", Wednesday, 15 June 1859, #23333, 7a.
- "Trains from Karachi". Pakrail.com. Archived from the original on June 7, 2010. Retrieved 2010-06-13.
|This article about a railroad station in Pakistan is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|