Karachi Safari Park
Safari Park as viewed from the chair lift
|Location||Karachi, Sindh, Pakistan|
|Land area||148 acres (0.60 km2)|
Karachi Safari Park (Urdu: کراچی سفاری پارک), opened in 1970, is a public funded 'family-only' safari park covering an area of 148 acres (0.60 km2), located in Gulshan-e-Iqbal, Karachi, Sindh, Pakistan. It has a zoo, geared with viewing facilities like a chairlift and safari tracks, as well as two natural lakes. A privately funded amusement park, Go Aish, is located in the Safari Park's vicinity.
Karachi Safari Park was inaugurated in 1970 by Lieutenant General Atiq-ur-Rehman. It was an independent project of the then Karachi Municipal Corporation. The creation of an independent zoo, safari and aquarium department followed in 1995. Karachi Safari Park is now an independent wing of the Community Development Department of City District Government of Karachi and has been designated as a 'family park'.
- Swan lake: A natural lake is located inside the safari park featuring a pagoda style sitting place.
- Chairlift: The 10 minutes long chairlift ride was set up at a cost of US$ 2 million and was inaugurated by the Karachi City Nazim Syed Mustafa Kamal on March 8, 2006.
- Go Aish: A private theme park featuring ropes course, paintball, quad biking, indoor climbing and a mini golf course.
- Elephant enclave: An enclave of about 65,000 square including a bathing space and resting area for the elephants has been constructed in the park for the joy of visitors and the elephants.
- Aviary: In June 2012, administrator of KMC, Muhammad Hussain Syed, told The Nation that the country's biggest aviary was being constructed speedily inside the safari park.
- Boating: In September 2012, it was announced that pedalo boating would be introduced in the lake.
- Camping site: A 300 acres of scouting land and camping area was also reported to be under development in October 2012.
- Museum: A 3,000 yards expanse will be used by KMC to develop a unique museum for the endangered birds in Safari Park in accordance with the International Standards. This move will help raise awareness about the ongoing extinction alert for rare bird species.
- Lahore Zoo Safari
- List of parks and gardens in Pakistan
- List of parks and gardens in Lahore
- List of parks and gardens in Karachi
- "Lake at Safari Park in bad shape". Karachi: Dawn News. April 4, 2006. Retrieved December 10, 2012.
- Tanweer, Bilal (March 11, 2007). "Karachi gets an adventure park!". Karachi: Daily Jang. Retrieved December 10, 2012.
- "New enclosures: Safari Park makes room for elephants". Karachi: The Express Tribune. May 9, 2014. Retrieved March 26, 2015.
- "Pakistan's biggest aviary to be completed soon". Karachi: The Nation. June 15, 2012. Archived from the original on November 27, 2012. Retrieved December 10, 2012. Cite uses deprecated parameter
- "Safari park uplift work inspected". Karachi: Dawn News. September 28, 2012. Retrieved December 10, 2012.
- "Need stressed to renovate Safari Park". Karachi: Daily Times. October 15, 2012. Retrieved December 10, 2012.
- "Trade of endangered birds may land Empress Market traders in jail". Karachi: The Express Tribune. March 10, 2015. Retrieved March 26, 2015.