Karaikudi Junction railway station
|Express train and Passenger train Station|
|Location||Ariyakudi Road, Karaikkudi, Tamil Nadu|
|Owned by||Indian Railways|
|Operated by||Southern Railway zone|
|Line(s)||Thiruvarur-Karaikudi Main Line Tiruchirappalli–Manamadurai|
|Connections||Taxi, Auto rickshaw|
|Zone(s)||Southern Railway Zone|
|Fare zone||Indian Railways|
|Opened||1 july 1930 ;88 years ago|
The station was constructed as a part of Pudukkottai–Manamadurai Junction railway line during the 1930s. Being a junction station, three rail lines emerge from the station, one towards Tiruchirappalli Junction, another to Thiruthuraipoondi junction and the third and final one Manamadurai Junction.
It falls under the operational limits of Madurai railway division of the Southern Railway Zone and it is a major as well as an important passing station present on the Tiruchirappalli- Manamadurai railway line.
Karaikudi is well connected with the capital city Chennai. Most of the trains bound to Chennai, Manamadurai, Rameswaram and Kanyakumari from Tiruchirappalli passes through this station, with every trains have a stoppage here for a minimum of 5–10 minutes.
- BG single line towards Mayiladuthurai Junction - Main Line Via. Pattukkottai, Thiruvarur Junction
- BG single line towards Tiruchirappalli Junction Via. Pudukkottai
- BG single line towards Manamadurai Junction Via. Sivaganga
New Rail line Proposal
Madurai-Melur-Tirupattur-Karaikudi New BG Line: As sanctioned by Railway Board in the year 2007-08, Survey was taken & the report has been submitted to Railway Board on 29/07/2008. Then updating survey was sanctioned in the year 2013-14 and the survey report was submitted to Railway board on 27/11/2014. Railway Board has shelved the proposal at present. Decision of Railway Board is awaited.
- "Madurai Division System Map" (PDF). Southern Railway. Retrieved 14 May 2017.
- "Broad gauge line inauguration today". The Hindu. 19 May 2007. Retrieved 27 May 2014.
- R. Rajaram (14 July 2011). "Karaikudi–Tiruvarur section inspected". The Hindu. Retrieved 27 May 2014.
- "Nod for rail traffic between Karaikudi and Manamadurai". The Hindu. Chennai. 26 June 2008. Retrieved 27 May 2014.
- "Virudhunagar-Manamadurai BG track to be ready by April". The Hindu. 17 February 2013. Retrieved 27 May 2014.
- S. Chidambaram (7 September 2013). "Virudhunagar-Karaikudi passenger service to begin today". The Hindu. Retrieved 27 May 2014.
- "Karaikudi and Manaparai stations to get ATMs soon". The Hindu. 3 January 2008. Retrieved 27 May 2014.
|This article about a railway station in the Indian state of Tamil Nadu is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|