Karalyn Patterson in 2014, portrait via the Royal Society
|Born||28 October 1943|
|Alma mater||University of California, San Diego (PhD)|
|Institutions||University of Cambridge|
|Thesis||Limitations on retrieval from long-term memory (1971)|
Karalyn Eve Patterson, FRS, FBA, FMedSci (née Friedman; born 28 October 1943) is a British psychologist in Department of Clinical Neurosciences, University of Cambridge and MRC Cognition and Brain Sciences Unit, Cambridge. She is a specialist in cognitive neuropsychology.
Patterson attended South Shore High School, Chicago, from which she graduated in 1961. She completed her Doctor of Philosophy (PhD) at the University of California, San Diego, in 1971. In 1975, Patterson moved to England with her husband, Roy, to take a position at the Applied Psychology Unit of the Medical Research Council in Cambridge.
Awards and honours
Patterson is one of a select group of academics that are fellows of both the Royal Society, the UK's national academy for science, and the British Academy, the UK's national academy for humanities and social sciences. Her nomination for the Royal Society reads:
|“||Karalyn Patterson was one of the prime initiators of the field of cognitive neuropsychology. The different approaches she has developed to study brain based disorders of language and memory have brought great rigour to the field, and have allowed stringent tests of different theories. She is one of the very few people in the world able to adopt a truly multi-disciplinary approach including computational modelling, behavioural observation, neuropsychological testing and functional neuroimaging. Consequently, her work has led to a better understanding of how language and memory are organised in the brain, and how they unravel in Alzheimer's disease and other types of dementia.||”|
- PATTERSON, Dr Karalyn Eve. ukwhoswho.com. Who's Who. 2015 (online Oxford University Press ed.). A & C Black, an imprint of Bloomsbury Publishing plc. (subscription or UK public library membership required) (subscription required)
- "Dr Karalyn Patterson FMedSci FRS". The Royal Society. Retrieved 7 May 2014.
- "PATTERSON, Dr Karalyn, FRS, FMedSci". British Academy Fellows. British Academy. Retrieved 7 May 2014.
- Karalyn Patterson's publications indexed by the Scopus bibliographic database. (subscription required)
- Plaut, D. C.; McClelland, J. L.; Seidenberg, M. S.; Patterson, K (1996). "Understanding normal and impaired word reading: Computational principles in quasi-regular domains". Psychological Review. 103 (1): 56–115. CiteSeerX 10.1.1.57.2570. doi:10.1037/0033-295x.103.1.56. PMID 8650300.
- Patterson, K; Nestor, P. J.; Rogers, T. T. (2007). "Where do you know what you know? The representation of semantic knowledge in the human brain". Nature Reviews. Neuroscience. 8 (12): 976–87. doi:10.1038/nrn2277. PMID 18026167.
- Hodges, J. R.; Patterson, K; Oxbury, S; Funnell, E (1992). "Semantic dementia. Progressive fluent aphasia with temporal lobe atrophy". Brain. 115 (6): 1783–806. doi:10.1093/brain/115.6.1783. PMID 1486461.
- Mummery, C. J.; Patterson, K; Price, C. J.; Ashburner, J; Frackowiak, R. S.; Hodges, J. R. (2000). "A voxel-based morphometry study of semantic dementia: Relationship between temporal lobe atrophy and semantic memory". Annals of Neurology. 47 (1): 36–45. doi:10.1002/1531-8249(200001)47:1<36::aid-ana8>3.3.co;2-c. PMID 10632099.
- Gorno-Tempini, M. L.; Hillis, A. E.; Weintraub, S; Kertesz, A; Mendez, M; Cappa, S. F.; Ogar, J. M.; Rohrer, J. D.; Black, S; Boeve, B. F.; Manes, F; Dronkers, N. F.; Vandenberghe, R; Rascovsky, K; Patterson, K; Miller, B. L.; Knopman, D. S.; Hodges, J. R.; Mesulam, M. M.; Grossman, M (2011). "Classification of primary progressive aphasia and its variants". Neurology. 76 (11): 1006–14. doi:10.1212/WNL.0b013e31821103e6. PMC 3059138. PMID 21325651.
- "South Shore High School". sshs61.com. Retrieved 3 June 2018.
- Patterson, Karalyn Eve (1971). Limitations on retrieval from long-term memory (PhD thesis). University of California, San Diego.
- Yost, William A.; Leek, Marjorie R.; Meddis, Raymond (September 2015). "Acoustical Society of America Silver Medal in Psychological and Physiological Acoustics: Roy D. Patterson". The Journal of the Acoustical Society of America. 138 (3): 1865–1868. doi:10.1121/1.4934193.
- "Wine List October 2016" (PDF). Darwin College. Retrieved 3 June 2018.
- "Dorothy Bishop, Karalyn Patterson and Lord Stern elected Fellows of the Royal Society". News. British Academy. 1 May 2014. Retrieved 7 May 2014.