||This article includes a list of references, but its sources remain unclear because it has insufficient inline citations. (March 2013)|
17 January 1962 |
|Relatives||Sanjana Kapoor (Sister)
Kunal Kapoor (Brother)
See Kapoor Family
Karan Kapoor (born 17 January 1962) is a former Indian film actor and model of British and Indian descent. He is the son of Shashi Kapoor and late Jennifer Kendal. His paternal grandfather was Prithviraj Kapoor and his paternal uncles are Raj Kapoor and Shammi Kapoor. His elder brother Kunal Kapoor and sister Sanjana Kapoor have also acted in some films but like him they were not very successful. His maternal grandparents, Geoffrey Kendal and Laura Kendal, were actors who toured India and Asia with their theatre group, Shakespeareana, performing Shakespeare and Shaw. The Merchant Ivory film, Shakespeare Wallah, was loosely based on the family, which starred his father and his aunt, actress Felicity Kendal. Karan later moved towards photography and decided to be a part of this profession though he worked as an actor too.
He made his debut in Shyam Benegal's critically acclaimed 1978 film Junoon which also featured his parents and both siblings. He had a minor part in his father's production 36 Chowringhee Lane (1981). He appeared in the British television series The Jewel in the Crown in 1984.
He made his debut in mainstream Bollywood films with Sultanat (1986) alongside Dharmendra, Sunny Deol and Juhi Chawla. He later acted in Loha (1987) and Afsar in 1988 but did not have many offers as an actor. He also modeled major Indian brands including Bombay Dyeing.
|1981||36 Chowringhee Lane||Davie|
- The Jewel in the Crown (1984 British TV Series on ITV) as Colin Lindsey
- South of the Border (1990 British TV Series) as Max Wilding
- The Tooting Lions (1993 British TV movie) as Kool
- Vijeta (1982)
His photograph "Old Couple" won the International Photography Awards 2009 in the People/Lifestyle category. It was one of five nominations he received that year.
- "Meet Ranbir Kapoor's 52-year-old half British uncle who can still give the actor a run for his money". daily.bhaskar.com.
- "klikhierniet.net". paklinks.com.
- "The Telegraph - Calcutta (Kolkata) - 7days - Eye on England". telegraphindia.com.
- "'Dream Lover' Karan Kapoor blessed with a baby girl : EYECATCHERS - India Today". intoday.in.
- "LPA - Karan Kapoor Awarded At The International Photography Awards". london-photographic-association.com.
- Official website
- Karan Kapoor at the Internet Movie Database
- Karan Kapoor
- http://www.photographybangbang.com/50karankapoor/ - Karan Kapoor interview
- http://www.mumbaimirror.com/others/sunday-read/Small-talk-He-makes-a-pretty-picture/articleshow/50515670.cms - Karan Kapoor Interview