||This biography of a living person needs additional citations for verification. (November 2010) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
5 November 1955 |
Srinagar, Jammu & Kashmir, India
|Education||The Doon School
Pembroke College, Cambridge
St Antony's College, Oxford
|Occupation||News Anchor of CNN-IBN & CNBC-TV18, India Today (since April 2014)|
|Years active||1985 – 2016|
|Notable credit(s)||Devil's Advocate
The Last Word
Face to Face (BBC)
Hardtalk India (BBC)
To the Point
Karan Thapar is an Indian journalist and a television commentator and interviewer. He was associated with CNN-IBN and hosted The Devil's Advocate and The Last Word. He is currently associated with India Today and hosts the shows To the Point and Nothing But The Truth.
Early life and Education
He is an alumnus of The Doon School and the Stowe School. While at Doon, Thapar was the Editor-in-chief of The Doon School Weekly. He graduated with a degree in Economics and Political Philosophy from Pembroke College, Cambridge in 1977. In the same year, he was also President of the Cambridge Union. He subsequently obtained a doctorate in International Relations from St Antony's College, Oxford.
He began his career in journalism with The Times in Lagos, Nigeria and later worked as their Lead Writer on the Indian subcontinent till 1981. In 1982 he joined London Weekend Television where he worked for the next 11 years. He then moved to India where he worked with The Hindustan Times Television Group, Home TV and United Television before setting up his own production house in August 2001, Infotainment Television, which makes programmes for amongst others BBC, Doordarshan and Channel News Asia.
Currently the President of Infotainment Television, Thapar is noted for his aggressive interviews with leading politicians and celebrities. His interviews with the current Indian Prime Minister Narendra Modi, George Fernandes, J. Jayalalithaa, Manmohan Singh, Kapil Dev, General Pervez Musharraf, Benazir Bhutto, Arun Jaitley, Ram Jethmalani, former U.S Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice and The Dalai Lama are particularly well remembered.
A few of his shows which have been much watched are Eyewitness, Tonight at 10, In Focus with Karan, Line of Fire and War of Words. The shows with which he has been making headlines lately are, Devil's Advocate and The Last Word on CNN-IBN and India Tonight on CNBC TV 18.
In April 2014, Thapar quit CNN-IBN to join India Today. He hosts the new show of the Channel titled To the Point whose pilot episode ran on April 1, 2014.
Awards and accolades
- In 1995 Thapar won the Onida Pinnacle Award for Best Current Affairs Presenter for the programme, The Chat Show.
- In December 2003, Thapar became the first person to win both awards in the current affairs category of the Asian Television Awards.
- The Best Current Affairs Program for interview with Pakistan's Foreign Minister, Khurshid Kasuri tilted Court Martial
- Second award for 'The Best Current Affairs Presenter' for his popular long-running BBC series Face to Face.
- In 2005 he won the 'Best Current Affairs Presenter' for the third time since 1999 for his interview with the former Indian Law Minister and Bharatiya Janata Party General Secretary Arun Jaitley on Hardtalk India
- 'Best Current Affairs Presenter' award for his interview with Ram Jethmalani on Devil's Advocate
- In 2008 his show Devil's Advocate was conferred 'Best News/Current Affairs Show' by News Television Awards & Karan Thapar was presented the award for 'News Interviewer of the Year' at Indian News Broadcasting Awards.
- In April 2009, Thapar was conferred with the Ramnath Goenka Excellence in Journalism Award and was chosen the 'Journalist of the Year(Broadcast)'.
- In August 2009 he was adjudged the "News Show Host of the Year" by Indian News Broadcasting Awards.
- In March 2010 Devil's Advocate was accorded an award for being the "Best News Talk Show" by News Television Awards.
- In December 2010 he was adjudged the 'Best Current Affairs Presenter' by Asian TV Awards.
- In March 2011 Devil's Advocate was adjudged the "Best Current Affairs Programme" and Karan Thapar was declared the "TV News Anchor of the Year-English" by National Television Awards.In October 2013,Karan Thapar won journalism award.
- In December 2013, Karan Thapar received the International Press Institute-India Award for excellence in the field of journalism.
- Face To Face India - Conversations With Karan Thapar, Penguin, ISBN 0-14-303344-1
- Sunday Sentiments, Wisdom Tree, ISBN 81-8328-023-4
- More Salt Than Pepper - Dropping Anchor With Karan Thapar, Harper Collins, ISBN 978-81-7223-776-9
- "When the Devil's Advocate has the Last Word". Retrieved 25 January 2016.
- History of the Weekly, The Doon School publications (2009) p.41
- "Karan Thapar - Infotainment Television". Infotainment Television. Retrieved 25 April 2014.
- "Karan Thapar to host 'To the Point' on Headlines Today". Indian Television. 2 April 2014. Retrieved 25 April 2014.
- "Karan Thapar wins journalism award". The Hindu. 7 October 2013. Retrieved 25 April 2014.