Karara State School
|Population||278 (2011 census)|
|LGA(s)||Southern Downs Region|
|State electorate(s)||Southern Downs|
Karara is a town and locality in the Darling Downs region within the Queensland, Australia. It is in the Southern Downs Region local government area. In the 2011 census, Karara had a population of 278 people.
The town is on the Cunningham Highway, 208 kilometres (129 mi) south west of the state capital, Brisbane. The highway passes through the locality from the east to the south-west. The Toowoomba-Karara Road connects the highway through to the north of the locality to Leyburn and ultimately through to Toowoomba. The South Western railway line passes through the locality roughly parallel and to the north of the highway. Both the line and Karara railway station are no longer in active use.
The Durakai State Forest occupies the southern and eastern areas within the locality; otherwise it is freehold land predominately used for farming apart from a small urban centre. There are a number of creeks running south to north through the locality which is in the drainage basin of the Condamine River.
The name Karara is believed to be an Aboriginal name for Canal Creek.
- Australian Bureau of Statistics (31 October 2012). "Karara". 2011 Census QuickStats. Retrieved 12 July 2015.
- "Karara (entry 17738)". Queensland Place Names. Queensland Government. Retrieved 12 July 2015.
- "Karara (entry 45942)". Queensland Place Names. Queensland Government. Retrieved 12 July 2015.
- "Queensland Globe". State of Queensland. Retrieved 12 July 2015.
- "Southern Downs Region". Queensland Places. Centre for the Government of Queensland, University of Queensland. Retrieved 12 July 2015.
- "Opening and closing dates of Queensland Schools". Queensland Government. Retrieved 12 July 2015.
- "Karara SS". Retrieved 30 January 2017.
- Premier Postal History. "Post Office List". Premier Postal Auctions. Retrieved 10 May 2014.
- Australian Bureau of Statistics (25 October 2007). "Karara (Warwick Shire) (State Suburb)". 2006 Census QuickStats. Retrieved 2009-01-19.
- "Library Details". Southern Downs Regional Council. Archived from the original on 31 January 2018. Retrieved 31 January 2018.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Karara, Queensland.|
|This Queensland location article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|