The lagoon seen from the space.
|Location||Western Lowland of Albania|
Karavasta Lagoon (Albanian: Laguna e Karavastasë) is the largest lagoon in Albania and one of the largest in the Adriatic Sea. It is separated from the Adriatic Sea by a large strip of sand. The lagoon is part of the Divjaka-Karavasta National Park. It was chosen as an area of international importance, protected by the Ramsar Convention of 29 November 1995.
The lagoon is situated in the west of Albania and near the city of Divjaka. The lagoon is cut off from the Adriatic Sea by a long sandy bar. The Karavasta lagoon has a lot of pine trees and small sandy islands. The lagoon is famous for the rare Dalmatian pelican which nests there: In fact 6.4% of the Europe's population of this type of pelican is found in this lagoon. They build the nests in the only island of Pelican in this lagoon.
The Karavasta Lagoon is within the List of Ramsar wetlands of international importance and is part of the Divjake-Karavasta National Park. Inside the park's boundary are found a number of restaurants with the most famous Divjaka Fish a restaurant in forest, well known for variety of fish, vegetable cooked .
Since disinfection campaigns have long been halted, the area is known to have a very active mosquito season. However, in 2014, disinfection campaigns have started and a park rehabilitation project has been initiated by the national authorities. It included a hunting moratorium which revived bird-watching activities.
- Divjaka-Karavasta National Park
- Biodiversity of Albania
- Environment of Albania
- List of national parks in Albania
- Narta Lagoon
- Tourism in Albania
- "Bashkia Fier » Karavasta Lagoon". Bashkia Fier. Retrieved 2010-06-29.
- Ramsar (September 11, 2014). "The list of wetlands of international importance" (PDF) (in English and Spanish). Ramsar. p. 5. Retrieved 14 August 2010.
- Karavasta Guest House Tourism Portal
- Divjake-Karavasta NP Official Facebook Page
- "Bashkia Fier » Divjake Beach". Bashkia Fier. Retrieved 2010-06-29.
|This article about a specific location in Fier County, Albania, is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|