Karcham Wangtoo Hydroelectric Plant
|Karcham Wangtoo Dam|
Location of Karcham Wangtoo Dam in India
|Official name||Karcham Wangtoo Hydroelectric Plant|
|Construction cost||Rs. 7,150 crore ($687 million USD 2011)|
|Dam and spillways|
|Type of dam||Gravity dam|
|Height||98 m (322 ft)|
|Length||177.8 m (583 ft)|
|Elevation at crest||1,813 m (5,948 ft)|
|Surface area||588 m2 (0 acres)|
|Normal elevation||1,810 m (5,938 ft)|
|Hydraulic head||298 m (978 ft) (gross)|
|Turbines||4 x 250 MW Francis-type|
|Installed capacity||1,000 MW|
|Annual generation||4,560 GWh est.|
The Karcham Wangtoo Hydroelectric Plant is a 1,000 megawatts (1,300,000 hp) run-of-the-river hydroelectric power station on the Sutlej River in Kinnaur district of Himachal Pradesh, India. The dam and power station are located between the villages of Karcham and Wangtoo where the plant also gains its name. Jaypee Karcham Hydro Corporation Limited of Jaypee Group signed a memorandum of understanding to develop the dam in 1993 and after years of delays, construction on the power station began on 18 November 2005. In 2015 Jaypee Group sold out Karcham Wangtoo Project to JSW Group.The first generator was commissioned in May 2011, the second in June and the final two in September. The 98 m (322 ft) tall dam at Karcham ( ) diverts a substantial portion of the Sutlej into a 10.48 m (34.4 ft) diameter and 17.2 km (10.7 mi) long headrace tunnel to the underground power station downstream at Wangtoo. At the station, the water powers four 250 MW Francis turbine-generators before it is sent back into the Sutlej via a 1.2 km (0.75 mi) long tailrace tunnel. The difference in elevation between the dam and the power station affords a gross hydraulic head of 298 m (978 ft). Water not diverted by the dam is sent over the spillway and down the normal course of the river. The main spillway is along the crest of the dam and is controlled by six radial gates. Just upstream of the dam is the 300 MW Baspa II Hydroelectric Plant and downstream of the Karcham Wangtoo is the 1,500 MW Nathpa Jhakri Dam.
- Nathpa Jhakri Dam – situated downstream
- "Hydroelectric Power Plants in India - Himachal Pradesh". IndustCards. Retrieved 14 June 2013.
- Jai, Shreya. "CEA restricts capacity of JP hydro plant sold to JSW". Retrieved 2016-05-28.
- "Hydroelectric Project in Kinnaur District in Himachal Pradesh" (PDF). UN Clean Development Mechanism. Retrieved 14 June 2013.
- "JSW Energy buys JP Power's 2 hydro projects for Rs 9,700 crore - Times of India". The Times of India. Retrieved 2016-05-28.
- "Karcham Wangtoo Hydroelectric Project". Global Energy Observatory. Retrieved 14 June 2013.
- "Jaypee Karcham Hydro Corporation Limited". Jalindia. Retrieved 14 June 2013.