Kardinya, Western Australia
Perth, Western Australia
|Population||8,874 (2006 census)|
|Location||12 km (7 mi) from Perth|
|LGA(s)||City of Melville|
|Federal Division(s)||Fremantle, Tangney|
Kardinya is a suburb of Perth, Western Australia, located within the City of Melville. The suburb is home to under 10,000 people, including many international students due to its proximity to Murdoch University.
Much of the area was originally farmland, dating back to the early 1900s. Welby Vineyard, established in 1922 by George Welby, which was the City of Melville's solitary winery, was built on what is now Kardinya. The winery was closed in 1964 and subdivided into housing lots.
Part of the suburb was originally a Forest Departments and University of Western Australia pine plantation and reservation. Many streets in the suburb are now named after University of Western Australia personnel, as well as different varieties of pine as a result of the pine plantation.
Kardinya is one of Perth's top 10 tightly-held suburbs (July 2013).
Kardinya has its own local shopping Centre called Kardinya Park. It has a Coles Supermarket, Kmart, Bakers Delight, Australia Post and numerous other retail outlets. There is a local pub just outside Kardinya Park called "The Kardy" tavern.
The locals are suitably called the "Kardy Kids".
Kardinya is also home to Australian gymnastics World Champion, Lauren Mitchell.
There are regular bus services to Fremantle, the Perth CBD or Murdoch railway station, all of them only a short journey away. The 998/999 CircleRoute bus travels along South Street and links up with the Murdoch Station on Mandurah railway line.
Kardinya has a state primary school located on Ochiltree Way, which was established in 1977. Nearby private schools include Winthrop Baptist College, St George's Anglican Grammar School and Corpus Christi College. Murdoch University's main campus adjoins the eastern part of the suburb.
- Australian Bureau of Statistics (25 October 2007). "Kardinya (State Suburb)". 2006 Census QuickStats. Retrieved 2008-10-05.
- "City of Melville - Kardinya" (PDF). 30 January 2010.
- Western Australian Land Information Authority. "History of metropolitan suburb names – K". Retrieved 28 June 2009.
- Dallmeyer, James (11 June 2008). "Sunrise by name". Perth Now. Retrieved 28 June 2009.
- http://www.perthnow.com.au/realestate/news/perths-most-tighly-held-suburbs/story-fnhlgriw-1226742561605 Source RP Data