Karekar is one of the common surnames of the Daivajna community,predominantly residing in Goa,some parts of Karnataka and Maharashtra. They originally hail from Caraim village on Chorao island in coastal Indian state of Goa.They belong to various brahminical Gotras and use different surnames and titles and worship Gajantalakshmi Ravalanatha in the village of Mashel,in Goa as their Tutelary deity. Historically many of them were wealthy merchants who formed themselves into guilds or Shreni,and also functioned as Mahajans(money lenders,patrons of the temples etc.) and Ganvkars of the Ganvkari system.
- Ravala Sethi,15th century merchant and a guild head,the first Goan Merchant to visit Portugal whom the King of Portugal gifted honorific mount of a horse 
- Virupa Sethi,who protested against the Portuguese in 16th century
- V.R.Karekar,Bollywood Art Director & Costume Designer.
- Anand Karekar,Marathi,Hindi Comedy Actor.
- Gauri Karekar-Sarwate,Marathi Film Director.
- Himali karekar,Marathi actress.
- Śiroḍakara,Mandal, Anthropological Survey of India, Pra. Pā , H. K. (1993). People of India: Goa. Anthropological Survey of India. p. 65. ISBN 8171547605.
- Gomes Pereira, Rui. Goa: Hindu temples and deities. Pereira, 1978. p. 45.
- "The Portuguese empire, 1415-1808" By A. J. R. Russell-Wood, Page 105
- Xavier, Ângela Barreto (September 2007), Disquiet on the island: Conversion, conflicts and conformity in sixteenth-century Goa, Indian Economic & Social History Review, vol. 44, pp. 269–295
- Satoskar, B. D., गोमंतक प्रकृति आणि संस्कृति;Gomantak Prakruti ani Sanskruti;Part I;Part II
- Singh, Kumar Suresh; Prakashchandra, Shirodkar, People of India: Goa