Br. Karekin Madteos Yarian (k.m. yarian) is a transgender author and social activist from San Francisco. They are a member of the Episcopal religious community known as the Brotherhood of Saint Gregory. Yarian is the author of In Love and Service Bound: The First Forty Years of the Brotherhood of Saint Gregory; The Skillfulness of Shepherds: Gregorian Reflections on the Spiritual Life and co-author of Equipping the Saints – two volumes currently used in the Brotherhood’s formation program; and For the Balance of My Natural Life – a reflection on Life Vows in the Gregorian Way. They are also the subject of the award winning documentary "Changing Habits" by Sara Needham, and have appeared in the nationally released via media series produced by Every Voice Network, an advocacy organization in the Episcopal Church for progressive causes.
As an advocate of the Progressive Christian movement, Yarian has been involved with such organizations as Social Redemption, a technology working group dedicated to reassertion of progressive Christian values in the public sphere, and Every Voice Network which co-hosted a major conference in Washington DC in October 2005.
Yarian's work in San Francisco includes spiritual advocacy for members of the transgender community and political activism for LGBT* causes. They are noted for their advocacy of Christian anarchism. Yarian's book "How To Be A Disciple and Digital", a rudimentary ethics of faith on social media, was released in February 2018 by Church Publishing, Inc.
Their full length poetry collection, “tribe: fire-songs”, a series of poems reflecting on gender and sensuality was released on Amazon in February 2019.  Another full length poetry edition, “winter breviary”, a reflection on post modern spiritual anxiety and the capacity for human violence, was also released shortly after.
- "The Brothers". The Brotherhood of Saint Gregory. Retrieved October 11, 2017.
- "In Love and Service Bound". The Brotherhood of Saint Gregory. Retrieved October 11, 2017.
- "The Servant" (PDF). Gregorians.org. 2008. Retrieved 12 October 2017.
- Marech, Rona (October 27, 2000). "Film Arts Festival Spotlights City's Independent Spirit". San Francisco Chronicle. Retrieved October 11, 2017.
- "Docside Film Festival". San Antonio Current. April 11, 2002. Retrieved October 11, 2017.
- "How To Be a Disciple and Digital". Church Publishing. Retrieved October 27, 2017.
- "Tribe:fire-songs". Amazon. Retrieved February 5, 2019.
- k. m. yarian (February 13, 2019). "winter breviary". Amazon. ASIN B07NQS6FQ6. Retrieved February 14, 2019.
- Conn, Jordan (October 2, 2008). "In Episcopal Church, Gays and Lesbians Pray for Equality". Mission Local. Retrieved October 11, 2017.
- Yarian, Karekin. "Anchundo-Yarian Wedding 2008". The Guardian. Retrieved October 11, 2017.
- Yarian, Karekin (October 11, 2017). "Welcome to me". PunkMonk San Francisco. Retrieved October 11, 2017.
- Br. Karekin M Yarian, BSG
- Brotherhood of Saint Gregory
- Sisters of Saint Gregory
- Province IV of the Brotherhood of Saint Gregory
- Province VIII of the Brotherhood of Saint Gregory
- k. m. yarian author page Amazon.com
|This Anglicanism-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|