|Birth name||Karel Francis Fialka|
|Genres||Synthpop, new wave, pop rock|
|Occupation(s)||Singer-songwriter, musician, record producer|
He was born Karel Francis Fialka in Bengal, India, to a Scottish mother and Czech father. Fialka was launched in 1980 as the street poet of the 1980s. Fialka's debut album Still Life was well received. "The Eyes Have It" became a favourite on the radio.
Fialka had a Top 10 hit in 1987 on the UK Singles Chart with the single "Hey, Matthew", (on I.R.S. Records) after having a minor hit in 1980 with "The Eyes Have It" on Blueprint Records. Fialka works mainly as a conceptual songwriter and record producer with occasional and infrequent live appearances. He released his album Film Noir in March 2009. Featured guest artists included Tilda Swinton and Paul Roberts (Sniff 'n' the Tears). The tracks on the album were character-driven.
Fialka had "The Things I Saw" released on the Berlin based !K7 Records label, as part of Booka Shade's DJ-Kicks: Booka Shade album in October 2007. This came as a mashup with another track by Akiko Kiyama.
Collectors of work by Fialka prize bootleg copies of Morrison Cafe, a deconstruction of songs by The Doors, and also To Live Outside The Law You Must Be Honest, where he has done the same to songs written by Bob Dylan.
Songwriting and production credits
- "Maybe Someday" - Cliff Richard - Dressed For the Occasion (1983)
- "In the Silence of the Night" - Sniff 'n' the Tears - Underground (2001)
- "Lip Service" - Sniff 'n' the Tears - Underground (2001)
- "The Misidia Monarchy/The Things I Saw" - Booka Shade - DJ-Kicks: Booka Shade (2007)
- "Thru the Gate... Every Step of the Way" - Martin Stephenson - Collective Force (2002)
- "Today Is Yesterday" - Simeone - An Introduction To Simeone (2011)
- 1980: Still Life
- 1988: Human Animal
- 2009: Film Noir
- 1980: "The Eyes Have It" UK No. 52
- 1980: "File In Forget"
- 1980: "Armband"
- 1984: "Eat, Drink, Dance, Relax"
- 1987: "Hey, Matthew" UK No. 9, D No. 15, CH No. 13, U.S. Modern Rock No. 29
- 1988: "Eat, Drink, Dance, Relax (remix)"
- 1988: "You Be The Judge"
- "Karel Fialka Biography - Music Artist Band Biographies - Artists Bands Bio - FREE MP3 Downloads". Music.us. Retrieved 2014-01-26.
- Roberts, David (2006). British Hit Singles & Albums (19th ed.). London: Guinness World Records Limited. p. 198. ISBN 1-904994-10-5.
- "Karel Fialka | Songs". AllMusic. Retrieved 2014-01-26.
- "Karel Fialka | Discography". AllMusic. Retrieved 2014-01-26.
- "Karel Fialka | Awards". AllMusic. Retrieved 2014-01-26.