|Born||October 4, 1941|
Chicago, Illinois, US
|Alma mater||Stanford University|
|Genre||Young adult historical novels|
|Notable awards||Newbery Medal |
Cushman's 1995 novel The Midwife's Apprentice won the Newbery Medal for children's literature, and her 1994 novel Catherine, Called Birdy won a Newbery Honor. She has a bachelor of arts degree in Greek and English from Stanford University and master's degrees in human behavior and museum studies. For 11 years she was adjunct professor in the Museum Studies Department at John F. Kennedy University before resigning in 1996 to write full-time. She lives and writes on Vashon Island, Washington.
- Catherine, Called Birdy (1994)
- The Midwife's Apprentice (1995)
- The Ballad of Lucy Whipple (1998)
- Matilda Bone (2000)
- Rodzina (2004)
- The Loud Silence of Francine Green (2006)
- Alchemy and Meggy Swann (2010)
- Will Sparrow's Road (2012)
- Grayling's Song (2016)
- War and Millie McGonigle (2021)
- 1995 Newbery Honor for Catherine, Called Birdy
- 1995 Golden Kite Award for Catherine, Called Birdy
- 1996 Newbery Medal for The Midwife's Apprentice
- 1997 John and Patricia Beatty Award for The Ballad of Lucy Whipple, given by the California Library Association.
- 2004 Washington State Book Award for Rodzina
- 2007 Kerlan Award at the University of Minnesota's Children's Literature Research Collection for her contributions to the Kerlan Collection.
- "Karen Cushman Papers". Arne Nixon Center. Retrieved 2008-12-13.
- "Newbery Medal and Honor Books, 1922-Present". American Library Association. Retrieved 2008-12-13.
- Bowlan, Cheryl. "Karen Cushman". ACHUKA. Retrieved 2008-12-13.
- Reimer, Julie. "Karen Cushman". Children's Literature Network. Archived from the original on 2013-07-15. Retrieved 2012-05-29.
- Author's biography, inside rear cover, "The Midwife's Apprentice" 2nd edition, ISBN 978-0-547-72217-7
- Oxman, Steven (15 February 2001). "The Ballad of Lucy Whipple". Variety. Variety Media. Retrieved 15 April 2020.
- ALA. Newbery Medal & Honor Books, 1922-Present. Retrieved 2008-12-19.
- SCBWI. Past Golden Kite Recipients. Retrieved 2015-06-16.
- The California Library Association. . Retrieved 12-05-29.
- CLN. "Karen Cushman". Archived from the original on 2013-07-15. Retrieved 2012-05-29.. Retrieved 12-04-04.