February 14, 1967
|Died||August 25, 2004 (aged 37)|
Los Angeles, California, U.S.
|Other names||Geoffrey Karen Dior, Geoffrey Gann, Geoff Gann, Ricky Van, Rick Van|
|Occupation||Actress, Singer, Director, Activist, Writer|
Karen Dior (February 14, 1967 – August 25, 2004) was the stage name for Geoffrey Gann, also known as Geoffrey Karen Dior. Gann was a bisexual, male-identified American female impersonator, pornographic and mainstream performer, film director, singer and writer. He was known as a pioneer in popularizing adult films involving transgender people.
Life and career
Born Geoffrey Gann in Missouri, Dior moved to Los Angeles at the age of 21 and began working in a beauty salon and performing in drag shows in West Hollywood bars. In 1989, he began appearing in bisexual and transgender adult films. He performed in approximately 120 adult films, most of them under the Dior name. He also performed under the names Geoff Dior, Rick Van, Geoffrey Karen Dior, Geoffrey Gann, and Geoff Gann.
In the 1990s, Dior moved into mainstream film and television roles, including a performance as Loni Anderson's stalker in the 1992 TV movie The Price She Paid. Other work included guest appearances on the television series Xena: Warrior Princess, Head Over Heels, and Veronica's Closet.
Later years and death
Dior contracted HIV in 1995 and later worked as an AIDS activist. After leaving the adult film industry, Dior worked as writer and released Sleeping Under the Stars, his first autobiographical work, in 2001. The same year, he released an album (under the name Geoffrey Karen Dior) titled S E X, and he was a member of two bands, the Johnny Depp Clones and Goddess. He also received a Ph.D. in philosophy in religion and became an ordained minister.
On August 25, 2004, Dior died of hepatitis.
- Single White Shemale (1992)
- Mystery Date (1992)
- A River Made to Drown In (1997)
- Xena: Warrior Princess (1 episode, 1997 - "Here She Comes... Miss Amphipolis")
- Head Over Heels (1 episode, 1997)
- Veronica's Closet (1 episode, 1998)
- Double Down (2001)
- I Dream Of Queenie (1997) "Produced and Directed"
- Genderella (1998)
- Playing the Odds (1998)
- Getting Personal (1999)
- Bi Athletes (2000)
- Bi-Dazzled (2001)
- Leather Temptation (2002)
- Bi-Sluts (2001) "2001 AVN Bisexual Nominated Adult Film"
- Ebner, Mark; Cheevers, Jack (2006-03-23). "The Bagman". Hollywoodinterrupted.com. Archived from the original on 2008-12-21. Retrieved 2008-12-27.
- Kay, Kerwin; Nagle, Jill; Gould, Baruch (2000). Male Lust : Pleasure, Power, and Transformation. Routledge. p. 343. ISBN 1-56023-981-6.
- Corliss, Richard (2005-01-19). "The Long Goodbye II". Time. Archived from the original on 2006-02-21. Retrieved 2008-12-27.