Karen Pryor (born May 14, 1932) is an American author who specialized in behavioral psychology and marine mammal biology. She is a founder and proponent of clicker training. She was formerly a Marine Mammal Commissioner to the U.S. government.
- Reaching The Animal Mind: Clicker Training and What It Teaches Us About All Animals - 2009
- Click to Win: Clicker Training for the Show Ring - 2002
- Dolphin Societies: Discoveries and Puzzles -ed. with Kenneth Norris; University of California Press, 1998
- Don’t Shoot The Dog: The New Art of Teaching and Training - 1984, 1999, 2002, 2006
- A Dog & a Dolphin 2.0: An Introduction To Clicker Training - 1996
- Getting Started: Clicker Training for Cats - 1999, 2002, 2004
- Getting Started: Clicker Training for Dogs - 1999, 2002, 2005
- Lads Before the Wind - 1975, 1994, 2000 (Harper & Row 1975)
- Nursing Your Baby - 1963, 1973, 1991, 2005 (HarperCollins Publishers 1963)
- On Behavior: Essays and Research - 1994
- Crunch and Des: Classic Stories of Saltwater Fishing - 2002
- How To Teach Your Dog To Play Frisbee - 1985
- Pryor, K. (2014). A dolphin journey. Aquatic Mammals 40th Anniversary: Special Issue, 104-115.
- Pryor, K. & Chase, S. (2014). Training for variable and innovative behavior. International Journal of Comparative Psychology, 27, 218-225
- Pryor, K. & Ken Ramirez, K. (2014) Modern Animal Training. In The Wiley-Blackwell Handbook of Operant and Classical Conditioning. McSweeney, F.K and Murphy, E. S. (Eds.).
- Pryor, K.W (2001). Cultural transmission of behavior in animals: How a modern training technology uses spontaneous social imitation in cetaceans and Behavioral and Brain Sciences, 24, 352-352
- Pryor, K. & Shallenberger, I. (1991). School structure in spotted dolphins (Stenella attenuata) in the tuna purse seine fishery in the Eastern Tropical Pacific. In Dolphin Societies: Discoveries and Puzzles. Pryor, K. & Norris, K.S. (Eds.). Berkeley: University of California Press
- Pryor, K. (1981). Why Porpoise Trainers Are Not Dolphin Lovers: Real and False Communication in the Operant Setting. Annals of the New York Academy of Sciences, 364, 1, 137
- Norris, K.S., Pryor, K. (1970). A Tagging Method for Small Cetaceans. Journal of Mammalogy, 51, 3, 609-610
- Pryor, K.W., Haang, R., & O’Reilly, J. (1969). The creative porpoise: Training for novel behavior. Journal of the Experimental Analysis of Behavior, 12, 653-661
- Lang, T.G., Pryor, K. (1966). Hydrodynamic Performance of Porpoises (Stenella attenuata). Science, 152, 3721, 531-533.
- Pryor, T., Pryor, K.,& Norris, S.K. (1965). Observations on a Pygmy Killer Whale (Feresa attenuata Gray) from Hawaii. Journal of Mammalogy, 46, 3, 450-461.
- Pryor, Karen; Chase, Sheila (2014). "Training for Variable and Innovative Behavior". International Journal of Comparative Psychology. 2 (27): 361–368. Retrieved July 8, 2015.
- "Operants: A Newsletter of the B.F Skinner Foundation". B.F Skinner Foundation Newsletter. Vol. 2. Second Quarter 2008. pp. 1–3. Check date values in:
- "PRYOR, Karen 1932". Encyclopedia.com. High Beam Research. Retrieved 8 July 2015.