Zoid at a concert in 2009
|Birth name||Karen Louise Greeff|
August 10, 1978 |
Karen Zoid (born Karen Louise Greeff) is a South African rock singer, guitarist, and songwriter. Her work in both English and Afrikaans has garnered critical acclaim, and she has been dubbed South Africa's "Queen of Rock" by several major local publications. Her followers and, more generally, the South African youth have also been referred to as the "Zoid Generation" by the press. Zoid's current band members are Henry Steel Jnr (guitar), Schalk van der Merwe (bass guitar) and Tim Rankin (drums). The singer is also known for hosting the kykNet television series Republiek van Zoid Afrika and is one of the judges on The Voice SA.
Born on 10 August 1978 in Brussels, Belgium, to a South African diplomat, Zoid grew up in Belgium before moving to Johannesburg. Here she attended the National School of the Arts before going on to study drama at AFDA. In 2001, she dropped out of university to focus her attention on music.
Zoid's first album, "Poles Apart", was released by EMI in June 2001. "Afrikaners is Plesierig", a song featured on the album, has achieved iconic status in South Africa, entering the local lexicon and being listed as one of the 100 greatest South African songs by the Sunday Times. EMI released her second album, "Chasing the Sun", in June 2003 and her third, "Media", in July 2005. Her fourth album, "Postmodern World", was released in August 2007 after she had left EMI and signed with Just Music earlier that year. In 2009, Sony released "Ultimate Zoid", a two disk album combining hits from her previous albums with three new tracks, and a live recording. "Terms and Conditions" was also released by Sony in 2010. "Zoid Afrika" was released in 2012, by Zoid's own production company, Karen Zoid Productions.
Music from Zoid's albums has been included on the audio entertainment of international flights to and from South Africa. She has also written music for television, with two of her songs featuring in the 2006 movie "Number 10". On 3 May 2008, she won the SAMA for Best Female Solo Artist. Karen Zoid performed at the inaugurations of Presidents Thabo Mbeki in 2004 and Jacob Zuma in 2009. She and her band also performed at the Nelson Mandela 46664 HIV/AIDS benefit concert in 2005, and at the centenary celebrations of the ANC in 2012. She and her band have had several concerts in London, mainly to South African audiences. In 2006 they performed in London, Canada and Dubai (at the Dubai Desert Rhythm Festival).
In 2010, Karen Zoid starred in a Franz Marx film, Susanna van Biljon. She also recorded the film's theme song. Republiek van Zoid Afrika, a late-night talk show hosted by Zoid, premiered on kykNET in July 2014. As of early 2016, Zoid is a judge on the local version of the singing competition The Voice.
- Poles Apart (2002)
- Chasing The Sun (2003)
- In Die Staatsteater DVD (2003)
- Media (2005)
- Postmodern World (2007)
- Alive in a Postmodern World DVD (2008)
- Ultimate Zoid (2009)
- Terms & Conditions (2010)
- Zoid Afrika (2012)
- Drown Out The Noise (2015)
- "Memorable People". www.greeff.info. Retrieved 17 February 2016.
- "Karen Zoid and Zolani set to rock the Artscape Theatre". 10 September 2015. Retrieved 17 February 2016.
- "Who is Karen Zoid?". 8 February 2016. Retrieved 17 February 2016.
- "A new voice for SA rock". www.rock.co.za. 31 July 2001. Retrieved 17 February 2016.
- "Survivor’s guide to partying with Afrikaners". women24. Retrieved 17 February 2016.
- "The 100 greatest South African songs". Times Live. 15 July 2014. Retrieved 17 February 2016.
- "Karen Zoid biography" (PDF). karenzoid.co.za. Retrieved 17 February 2016.
- "SAMA 2008: All the Winners!". channel24. 5 May 2008. Retrieved 17 February 2016.
- "KAREN ZOID". Who's Who South Africa. Retrieved 17 February 2016.
- "Stars sign up for 46664". news24 archives. 18 January 2005. Retrieved 17 February 2016.
- "VWV and Blue Moon produce ANC centenary celebration". Media Update. 17 January 2012. Retrieved 17 February 2016.
- Korff, Jean-Marie (19 October 2010). "Susanna van Biljon". Retrieved 17 February 2016.
- "KykNet brings The Republiek van Zoid Afrika". Media Update. 8 July 2014. Retrieved 17 February 2016.
- "Tune into the newest singing reality show The Voice SA this Sunday!". channel24. 30 January 2016. Retrieved 17 February 2016.
- "Zoid ties the knot". news24 archives. 12 January 2004. Retrieved 17 February 2016.
- "Baby joy for Zoid". news24 archives. 30 January 2007. Retrieved 17 February 2016.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Karen Zoid.|