|Full name||Karim Soltani|
|Date of birth||29 August 1984|
|Place of birth||Brest, Brittany, France|
|Height||1.79 m (5 ft 10 in)|
|Playing position||Winger / Forward|
|2008–2010||ADO Den Haag||59||(11)|
* Senior club appearances and goals counted for the domestic league only and correct as of 22:44, 6 February 2016 (UTC).
Karim Soltani (Arabic: كريم سلطاني ; born 29 August 1984) is an Algerian footballer currently playing for Skoda Xanthi F.C. in the Greek Super League. He primarily plays as a winger, but can also play as a striker.
Born in Brest, France, Soltani began his career at age 11 in a small club in Brest. In 2000, at age 15, he joined the junior ranks of local powerhouse Stade Brest. He only remained with the club for two years before being spotted by scouts for Le Havre AC.
Le Havre AC
In 2002, at age 17, Soltani signed a two-year amateur contract with Le Havre's junior team. At the end of his contract, he was given a one-year extension to play with the first team but he failed to make any appearances for the club.
In the summer of 2005, Soltani signed with VVV-Venlo, who were then playing in the Eerste Divisie, the second highest division in the Netherlands. In his first season, he made 19 appearances, scoring 3 goals for the club. He would build on those numbers in his second season, making 30 appearances and scoring 7 goals, and leading the club to promotion to the Eredivisie. In the 2007–08 season, Soltani scored 3 goals in 28 appearances for the club. On 30 March 2008, it was reported that Soltani was going to leave VVV-Venlo at the end of his contract and return to France to be closer to his family. However, he decided to remain in the Netherlands and instead joined ADO Den Haag at the start of the 2008–09 season.
ADO Den Haag
Although it was expected Soltani to return to France, he chose to sign for Eredivisie outfit ADO Den Haag. He debuted for the club in an away 2–5 triumph against Sparta Rotterdam in Het Kasteel in the opening day of the 2008–09 season. He netted his first goal in another away triumph of ADO Den Haag against NAC Breda that ended 0–4. At the end of the season he totalled 6 goals in 27 league matches played. He also featured in 3 KNVB Cup games scoring 1 goal. In his second season for ADO Den Haag Soltani totalled 4 goals in 28 league games, plus 1 match in the KNVB Cup.
On 23 July 2010 he signed a one-year contract with Iraklis Thessaloniki. He had contract offers from Brest, Nantes and Lens but he decided to sign for Iraklis as the club's offer was considered by Soltani to be the best both financially and athletically. Soltani debuted for Iraklis in the opening day of the 2010–11 season. It was a match against Greek giants Olympiacos. Soltani entered the match as a substitute in the 62nd minute of the match. At that time Olympiacos had the lead by 0–1. Soltani was an integral part of Iraklis' effort to win the game. In the 80th minute he won a penalty, that Bogdan Mara converted into a goal and in the 87th minute he handed an assist to his teammate Vellios to seal Iraklis' 2–1 victory. In the second match of the season against Atromitos in Peristeri Stadium he, again, came in as a substitute in the 67th minute. The match ended 1–1 with Soltani scoring his first goal for the club in the 89th minute helping iraklis to an away draw. Also he netted his second goal and gave Iraklis Thessaloniki the lead at sixth match day at home draw 1–1 against Panserraikos.
In summer of 2011, Soltani joined Aris, getting number 7. He made excellent appearances during friendly games, also scoring against Peniarol. He scored his first official goal against Panthrakikos FC, for the Greek Cup on 22 December 2011.
After a year in Aris, Soltani returned to his country playing in Algerian Ligue Professionnelle 1 for ES Sétif. Negotiations with Aris, are on the verge of success. The player, who had a long discussion with the club, says delighted to try an adventure in Algeria. The player will be acquired on a free transfer with a salary of 15 000 euros per month, receiving the highest salary in the club.
After his pre-season training in Sousse under ES Sétif coach Hubert Velud, his recruitment is finalized with the Algerian champions. Soltani has signed a two-year contract. However, after six months, he terminated his contract, as the club has not acceded to his request to receive an eight months' salary in advance. He played seven games with the club scoring one goal before he returned to Europe, playing for Skoda Xanthi.
In January 2013, Skoda Xanthi announced the acquisition of Karim Soltani, a player with experience in Super League on a free transfer. Soltani make his debut with the club on 27 January 2013, in a 1-0 away win against PAOK. On 26 September 2015, on an away 1-1 draw for Greek Super League against Iraklis had a quarrel after a violent foul, initially with Costin Lazăr caused him the expel from the game with a second yellow card and afterwards with his team manager Georgios kaznaferis.
Born in France, Soltani is also eligible to represent Algeria in international competition and has expressed his interest to play for Algeria. According to El Watan, Algerian head coach Rabah Saâdane was keeping an eye on Soltani for the 2010 African Cup of Nations.
- "Interview Karim Soltani (ADO Den Haag)" (in French). Dzfoot.com. Retrieved 2010-04-26.
- "Voetbalnieuws: Soltani vertrekt bij VVV Venlo" (in Dutch). Voetbalplus.nl. Retrieved 2010-04-26.
- Έκλεισε ο Σολτάνι – Φτάνει ξημερώματα ο Ντάιγκο (in Greek). Bluearena. 22 July 2010. Retrieved 2010-09-17.
- "Soltani : "Maintenant mon objectif, c’est l’Equipe nationale"" (in French). Lebuteur.com. Retrieved 2010-09-17.
- Κρίσιμες ώρες για Σολτάνι – Αισιοδοξία στη Μίκρα (in Greek). Bluearena.gr. 20 July 2010. Retrieved 2010-09-17.
- Πάρτε το χαμπάρι. Ο ΗΡΑΚΛΗΣ ΑΛΛΑΞΕ ΚΑΙ ΒΓΑΖΕΙ ΓΟΥΣΤΑ (in Greek). Bluearena.gr. 10 August 2010. Retrieved 2010-09-17.
- Μέγας "Έλε", γκολάρα Σολτάνι και βαθμός ψυχολογίας (in Greek). Bluearena.gr. 10 September 2010. Retrieved 2010-09-17.
- Ατρόμητος-Ηρακλής 1–1 (in Greek). contra.gr. 11 September 2010. Retrieved 2010-09-17.
- "Karim Soltani, c’est en bonne voie" (in French). entente-setif.com. 14 July 2012.
- Απέκτησε τον Σολτάνι η Ξάνθη (in Greek). contra.gr. 21 January 2013.
- Πιάστηκαν στα χέρια Σολτάνι-Καζναφέρης! (in Greek). www.sport-fm.gr. 26 September 2015.
- "Verts d'Europe : Karim Soltani buteur – Football algérien" (in French). Dzfoot.com. 22 November 2009. Retrieved 2010-04-26.