Karin Elisabeth von Schaper
|Hereditary Grand Duchess of Mecklenburg-Schwerin|
31 January 1920|
Breslau, Province of Lower Silesia
|Died||26 January 2012
|Spouse||Friedrich Franz, Hereditary Grand Duke of Mecklenburg-Schwerin (m. 1941; div. 1967) &
(m. 1977; d. 2001)
|House||Mecklenburg-Schwerin (by marriage)|
|Father||Dr. Walter von Schaper|
|Mother||Baroness Louise von Münchhausen|
Karin Elisabeth, Hereditary Grand Duchess of Mecklenburg-Schwerin (née von Schaper, Karin Elisabeth Henriette Lori Gudela; 31 January 1920 – 26 January 2012) was a member by marriage of the House of Mecklenburg-Schwerin. She was the widow of Friedrich Franz, Hereditary Grand Duke of Mecklenburg-Schwerin.
Karin Elisabeth von Schaper was born at Breslau, Province of Lower Silesia, Weimar Republic (now Wrocław, Poland) on 31 January 1920. She was the only daughter of Dr. Walter von Schaper and Baroness Louise von Münchhausen.
Marriage and family
On 11 June 1941 in Schwerin Karin Elisabeth married, Friedrich Franz, Hereditary Grand Duke of Mecklenburg-Schwerin eldest son of Frederick Francis IV the last reigning Grand Duke of Mecklenburg-Schwerin. They divorced on 22 September 1967 but remarried a decade later in Glücksburg on 27 April 1977. They had no children.
As a member by marriage of the House of Mecklenburg-Schwerin, her nieces Donata and Edwina are the only remaining senior members of the House of Mecklenburg-Schwerin, the other being Duchess Woizlawa Feodora, only daughter of Duke Adolf Friedrich and granddaughter of Frederick Francis II, Grand Duke of Mecklenburg-Schwerin. On the death of her husband in 2001, the Mecklenburg-Schwerin male line became extinct.
She died on 26 January 2012 at Glucksburg (Ostsee) at the age of 91.
Titles and styles
- 31 January 1920 – 11 June 1941: Miss Karin Elisabeth von Schaper
- 11 June 1941 – 22 September 1967: Her Royal Highness The Hereditary Grand Duchess of Mecklenburg-Schwerin
- 22 September 1967 – 27 April 1977: Karin Elisabeth, Hereditary Grand Duchess of Mecklenburg-Schwerin
- 27 April 1977 – 31 July 2001: Her Royal Highness The Hereditary Grand Duchess of Mecklenburg-Schwerin
- 31 July 2001 – 26 January 2012: Her Royal Highness The Dowager Hereditary Grand Duchess of Mecklenburg-Schwerin
|Ancestors of Karin Elisabeth von Schaper|
- C. Arnold McNaughton, The Book of Kings: A Royal Genealogy, in 3 volumes (London, U.K.: Garnstone Press, 1973), volume 1, page 417. Hereinafter cited as The Book of Kings.
- L'Allemagne Dynastique, Tome VI : Bade-Mecklembourg. p. 253.
- Genealogics - Leo van de Pas Karin-Elisabeth von Schaper
- thePeerage.com Karin Elisabeth Henriette Lori Gudela von Schaper
|Titles in pretence|
Princess Alexandra of Hanover
|— TITULAR —
Grand Duchess consort of Mecklenburg-Schwerin
17 November 1945 – 22 September 1967
27 April 1977 – 31 July 2001
Reason for succession failure:
Grand Duchy abolished in 1918
Mecklenburg-Schwerin male line extinct