Karin Park with her brother David Park, live in concert in Munich, January 2013
September 6, 1978 |
Karin Park (born 6 September 1978) is a Swedish-Norwegian singer, songwriter, and model currently living in Bergen, Norway. She is best known for composing Norway's entry to the Eurovision Song Contest 2013 "I Feed You My Love". She also competed in Melodi Grand Prix 2015 with the song "Human Beings".
Karin Park made her debut in 2003 with the single Superworldunknown, and an album of the same name. She was nominated for the 2003 Spellemannprisen award in the categories Newcomer of the Year and Best Female Pop Artist, and was awarded the 2004 Alarmprisen award Lydverketprisen for Newcomer of the Year.
After the release of her second album Change Your Mind (2006), Karin Park's music developed in a new, darker and more synth-based direction.
Karin's third album, Ashes To Gold (2009), was produced by Fredrik Saroea, frontman of the Norwegian band Datarock.
Following this record, Karin and her brother David Park have continued to develop a more experimental, beat-oriented sound.
In 2010, Karin Park signed a record deal with Portsmouth-based label State Of The Eye.
Together with her brother David Park and Portsmouth based producer Barry Barnet she laid out the grounds for her fourth album, Highwire Poetry, which she then took to Swedish producer Christoffer Berg (known for his work with The Knife, Fever Ray, Massive Attack and Little Dragon's Yukimi Nagano) who finally produced and mixed the album in 2011.
Upon its release in 2012, Highwire Poetry was well received by critics in England, Germany, Denmark, Norway and France. Sound wise, Karin has been described as variously "electro-goth" and "industrial-pop". Karin Park's current musical style has been compared to Fad Gadget, Gary Numan, Depeche Mode and The Knife. Her distinctive voice has also been compared with Karin Dreijer Andersson and Björk. She is renowned for her stage presence and live performances: during the concerts everything is played live by her and her brother David who, while playing live drums, also plays bass with his left foot, launches sequences and plays some keyboards. Recently they started rehearsing with a third band member who is expected to join them on stage in the near future.
In 2013, Park and MachoPsycho wrote the music and lyrics to Margaret Berger's "I Feed You My Love", Norway's entry to the Eurovision Song Contest 2013. The song provided Norway's best result in the contest since their win in 2009, placing fourth out of twenty-six competitors in the final, and scoring a total of 191 points. Also released in 2013, Maya Jane Coles' song "Everything" features Karin Park on guest vocals. Park competed in Melodi Grand Prix 2015 as a singer with the song "Human Beings", but did not make it to the gold final.
In 2015, she released of her fifth studio album Apocalypse Pop, further expanding her sonic research while dealing with personal themes and summoning many different atmospheres.
- Superworldunknown (2003) NO #11
- Change Your Mind (2006)
- Ashes To Gold (2009) NO #32
- Highwire Poetry (2012)
- Apocalypse Pop (2015)
- "Superworldunknown" (Waterfall, 2003)
- "Fill It Up" (Waterfall, 2003)
- "Change Your Mind" (Superworldmusic, 2006)
- "Masterpiece" (Superworldmusic, 2006)
- "The Bachelorette" (Superworldmusic, 2006)
- "Can't Stop Now" (Young Aspiring Professionals, 2009)
- "Ashes" (Young Aspiring Professionals, 2009)
- "Tiger Dreams" (State of the Eye, 2011)
- "Fryngies" (State of the Eye, 2012)
- "Restless" (State of the Eye, 2012)
- "Thousand Loaded Guns" (State of the Eye, 2012)
- "Shine" (State of the Eye, 2014)
- "Look What You've Done" (State of the Eye/Cosmos Music Group, 15 March 2014)
- "Human Beings" (2015)
- Puchowski, James K. (22 January 2015). "NORWAY: GET TO KNOW THE MELODI GRAND PRIX 2015 FINALISTS". Wiwibloggs. Retrieved 22 January 2015.
- Storvik-Green, Simon (21 January 2015). "Norwegian National Final participants revealed". Eurovision.tv. Retrieved 21 January 2015.
- no:Spellemannprisen 2003
- no:Alarmprisen 2004
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Karin Park.|