Karina Longworth (born July 10, 1980) is an American film critic, author, and journalist based in Los Angeles. She is one of the founders of the film culture blog Cinematical and formerly edited both Cinematical and the film blog SpoutBlog and, while living in New York, was heard regularly on the Public Radio International show The Takeaway. From 2010–2012, she was the Film Editor and lead critic at LA Weekly.
Longworth has contributed to numerous magazines, including New York Magazine, Filmmaker, TimeOut New York, Cineaste, and Las Vegas Weekly, as well as the online publications Slate, indieWIRE, The Daily Beast, The Huffington Post, The Village Voice, and Vanity Fair's Little Gold Men blog.
- 2000 Bachelor of Fine Arts in Video from the School of the Art Institute of Chicago
- 2002 Bachelor of Fine Arts in Film from San Francisco Art Institute
- 2005 Masters of Arts in Cinema Studies from New York University
- January 2005 – March 2007: regular contributor to the film blog Cinematical.com
- March 2005 – February 2006: editor in chief of Cinematical.com (Cinematical was bought by AOL in October 2006)
- October 2006 – June 2007: worked at AOL after the takeover of Cinematical
- March 2007 – October 2008: columnist at NewTeeVee.com
- February 2009 – December 2009: weekly contributor on the national public radio show The Takeaway
- June 2007 – October 2009: editor of the daily film culture blog SpoutBlog at Spout.com (now owned by indieWIRE)
- January 2010 – January 2013: film critic and editor at LA Weekly
- January 2013 – present: freelance writer, author and researcher; Adjunct faculty at Chapman University
In April 2014 Longworth launched "You Must Remember This," a podcast that covers lesser-known Hollywood stories from the early- to mid-twentieth century. Distributed by the Panoply network in association with Slate Magazine, there have been over seventy episodes so far, all written and narrated by Longworth. It has become one of the top film podcasts; the Washington Post called it "laceratingly funny".
Internet film criticism vs print film criticism
When she was still a web critic for SpoutBlog, Longworth appeared in the documentary For the Love of Movies: The Story of American Film Criticism, explaining the virtues of blogging – for creating a back-and-forth dialogue with readers. About blogging she went on to say, "I have a Master’s Degree in Film Studies, but I’m no more qualified to blog than a high school student in Vermont." No more qualified she may be, but as to influence, the New York Times has called Longworth, "freakishly smart" and Variety said, "... it's the ever-proliferating bloggers – Spout, Cinematical, Movie City News and Hollywood Elsewhere – that have become the instant barometers for how a film plays."
Online film critics are considered by some to be the next wave of film criticism. In 2007 Variety said, "As the pool of well-paid print critics shrinks in size, the next generation of film fans may come to trust critic/bloggers like … Spout’s Karina Longworth, who helped to create the major film blog Cinematical" The New York Times has commented, "Are print critics really so all-important and sacrosanct with the Web full of debates about all manner of film in places like indiewire.com, cinematical.com and blog.spout.com?"
- 2014 "Meryl Streep: Anatomy of an Actor", Phaidon Press, ISBN 0714866695
- 2013 Al Pacino: Anatomy of an Actor, Phaidon Press, ISBN 0714866644
- 2012 Masters of Cinema: George Lucas, Phaidon Press, ISBN 2866429044
- 2009 The Portable SpoutBlog: Rants, reviews and reports from the film blog edited by Karina Longworth, CreateSpace Independent Publishing Platform, ISBN 1448695716
- The Portable SpoutBlog: Rants, reviews and reports from the film blog edited by Karina Longworth (2009). Publisher: CreateSpace. ISBN 1-4486-9571-6
- Is Karina Longworth a film journalist? The Salt Lake Tribune, October 13, 2009
- Film Criticism in the Age of the Internet: A Critical Symposium Cineaste, Vol.XXXIII No.4 2008
- The Rocchi Review – With Karina Longworth of SpoutBlog!, 22 March 2008
- LA Weekly adds film editor, reporter LA Observed, December 23, 2009
- Karina Longworth Film Contributor The Takeaway, November 25, 2009
- Scott Simon of National Public Radio interviews Karina Longworth, Film Editor at LA Weekly, January 29, 2011
- Filmmaker year in review: Karina Longworth FilmMaker Magazine, December 22, 2008
- Karina Longworth at Las Vegas Weekly
- The Movie Club, Slate, January 3, 2011
- Karina Longworth at indieWIRE
- Karina Longworth bio the Huffington Post
- You Must Remember This: Podcast reveals the secret history of 20th century Hollywood
- A shallow, gossipy perspective of ‘Audrey and Bill’, by Chris Klimek, The Washington Post, June 26, 2015
- For the Love of Movies: The Story of American Film Criticism Acting Credits The New York Times, March 5, 2011
- The Carpetbagger The Awards Season Blog of the New York Times, January 13, 2009
- Blogosphere taps festival buzz, Variety, January 25, 2008
- Indie films crave great reviews, Variety, June 21, 2007
- Now on the Endangered Species List: Movie Critics in Print, New York Times, April 1, 2008