Karishma – The Miracles of Destiny
|Karishma - The Miracles of Destiny|
|Screenplay by||Rafiq Talukdar|
|Story by||Sachin Bhowmick|
|Directed by||Anurag Basu,
Siddharth Sen Malhotra,
|Country of origin||India|
|No. of episodes||262|
|Running time||20 minutes|
|Production company(s)||Cinetek telefilms Pvt Ltd|
|Original network||Sahara One|
|Original release||25 August 2003– October 2004|
Karishma – The Miracles of Destiny was an Indian television serial which was first broadcast on Sahara One on 25 August 2003 and lasted over 262 episodes ending in October 2004. It starred Karisma Kapoor in the leading role alongside an all-star cast including Sanjay Kapoor, Arbaaz Khan, Arshad Warsi, Vikas Bhalla and Jugal Hansraj. Created by Akashdeep, it was written by Sachin Bhowmick and directed by Anurag Basu. The title song was composed by Anu Malik and sung by Sonu Nigam and Sapna Mukherjee. In the UK, the serial has been aired on Venus in 2007 and repeated on Sahara One from September 2012 to March 2013.
The serial follows the story of Devyani (Karisma Kapoor) who from humble beginnings went on to become a very successful businesswoman. The story begins with an aged Devyani, now a 67-year-old mother of two grown-up sons Jai and Sameer (played by Harsh Chhaya and Ayub Khan) and grandmother of Kunal (Jugal Hansraj), is attending a ceremony to celebrate her life achievements. An attempt is made on her life when a gunman fires at her, but she survives as the bullet only scrapes past her arm. The hitman escapes. It is later revealed that her sons plot to have her killed to inherit her wealth. There is also a mysterious character named Aarnav (Arbaaz Khan) who wants to write a novel based on Devyani's life but seems to have an ulterior motive.
The story shifts between Devyani in New Zealand and in Mumbai where a looklike of Devyani named Avni (also Karisma Kapoor) is introduced. Her childhood friend Pakiya (Arshad Warsi) sees a picture of Devyani in a newspaper and tries to find a connection between Devyani and Avni. The story also goes in flashback of Devyani in her 20s and the men in her life including Arjun and Amar (played by Vikas Bhalla and Sanjay Kapoor).
- Karisma Kapoor as Devyani/Avni
- Sanjay Kapoor as Amar
- Arbaaz Khan as Aarnav
- Harsh Chhaya as Sameer
- Ayub Khan as Jai
- Jugal Hansraj as Kunal (Sameer's son)
- Sheeba Akashdeep as Amrita (Sameer's wife)
- Resham Tipnis as Natasha (Jai's wife)
- Arshad Warsi as Pakiya
- Vikas Bhalla as Arjun
- Vishwajeet Pradhan as Thakur (Arjun's elder brother & Aarnav's grandfather)
- Jayati Bhatia as Thakur's wife
- Pavan Malhotra as Raja
- Sanober Kabir as Ria (Kunal's girlfriend)
- Tinnu Anand as Devyani's lawyer
- Vijay Raaz as Ladoo
- Raju Kher as Devyani's doctor
- Deepshikha Nagpal as Sanjana
- Saadhika as Saadhika
- Mayuri Kango as Mansi (Devyani's daughter and Avni's mother)
- Rahul Roy as Rahul
- "Indiantelevision dot com's First Take on Sahara's 'Karishma - The Miracles of Destiny'". Indiantelevision.com. 2003-08-29. Retrieved 2012-09-30.
- "Indiantelevision dot com's : An Interview with 'Karishma' creative director Akashdeep". Indiantelevision.com. 2003-05-12. Retrieved 2012-09-30.
- "Indiantelevision dot com's : An Interview with ' Karishma' scriptwriter Sachin Bhaumick". Indiantelevision.com. 2003-05-12. Retrieved 2012-09-30.
- "The Hindu : Karisma's TV incarnation". Hindujobs.com. 2002-10-07. Retrieved 2012-09-30.