This biography of a living person needs additional citations for verification. (July 2015) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|Born||26 May 1982|
|Known for||Kingfisher Calendar, Bigg Boss 6, IPL 6|
Kotak was born on 26 May 1982 in North West London, England. She is a Gujarati. Her father is from Gujarat and her mother is from East Africa. Her immediate family lives in London and consists of her mother and a younger brother named Sunny Kotak. She did a part of her schooling from a boarding school. She later pursued a degree in Bachelor of Arts in Advertising and Marketing. Initially, she wanted to become a teacher and had enrolled for a course in teaching.
Modelling and advertisements - UK
Karishma began her modelling career at the age of 16 and worked for magazines like Just Seventeen and other projects in England.[failed verification] When she was around 20, she visited India and realized the huge potential that the Indian fashion & film industry had to offer. In the meantime, she continued doing projects and fashion shows in the UK & Europe, including regional campaigns. She did catalog work for brands like Toni & Guy and FCUK. In 2004, she walked the ramp for the London Fashion Week. She was also a presenter for a UK TV show, The Show, that dealt with entertainment, movies & lifestyle.
Modelling and advertisements - India
In September 2005, Karishma moved to Mumbai, India.[failed verification] Within 2 months of her relocation, she got selected to work with a calendar published by the United Breweries Group, the 2006 Kingfisher Calendar, which was shot in Australia by Atul Kasbekar. She said in an interview, "Doing the Kingfisher calendar is a dream for any model. All the hours in the gym and eating healthy are paying off." This project shot her into limelight in the Indian fashion scene. She accepted several offers to do TV commercials. A celebrity management company, Matrix India Entertainment commented, "As she has an excellent complexion, she’ll be in skin and beauty product ads."
She did TV advertisements & promotional campaigns for brands like Dove, Pond's, Wella Hair Color, Titan Xylus, Diesel, Tanishq, Saffola, Sagar Sarees, Rang Sarees, Alapatt Jewels, Kalyan Silks, Elmore, Achakottil Jewels, CMR Grand, and Sobha Wedding Galaxy As a brand ambassador for Dove, she was featured on huge billboards & hoardings in major cities across India.
In April 2012, her two TV commercials for Idea Cellular with Abhishek Bachchan started airing on TV. Karishma was next hired by VVF Limited for the television advertisement of their bathing soap bar, Jo. The ad was released to small screens in May 2012. In July 2012, her TV commercial with Salman Khan for Relaxo Footwear was released.
She has also appeared in several magazines, including as the cover girl, like Vogue, FHM, Asian Woman, Maxim, OK!, Hello!, Elle, Femina (India) Stuff Hair Magazine, Beauty & Style, Khush Wedding, Wedding Affair, and Snoop The March–April 2008 issue of Time n Style Beauty magazine featured Karishma on its cover page, with the title "Eye, Me & Myself - Let your eyes speak". She appeared as the cover girl on FHM (India) in the April 2013 issue that captioned "IPL's hottest presenter - Karishma Kotak."
Karishma has done modelling for brands like FCUK and Ralph Lauren. She walked the ramp for the Lakme Fashion Week 2006. She has been a ramp model for Asiana Bridal Show, M.A.C. Cosmetics, Provogue, Titan Xylus launch 2006 India Fashion Street - Fashion Tour 2012 and Kochi International Fashion Week Season 2.
Karishma has also hosted a few events, the notable among those is her hosting the 2013 Indian Premier League auction in February 2013 at ITC Grand Chola, Chennai, which was broadcast live by Sony SIX. Indian cricket commentator and journalist, Harsha Bhogle also collaborated for the event sharing expertise on player and team strategies.
Karishma acted in a few music videos, the prominent of which is a 2004 music video called Me Against Myself by British singer-songwriter Jay Sean. Her next appearance in a music video was for Sonu Nigam and Sapna Mukherjee's track Madbhari, which was released in 2006. In 2007, she appeared in an English-Hindi music video titled Belly Dancing by reggae DJ Apache Indian. She was also seen in the song 'Oscer' from her movie Kaptaan which also featured singer Badshah and Gippy Grewal
Entry into films
After getting some initial TV exposure in London doing The Karisma Show,[better source needed] Karishma worked as a presenter for India-related TV show known as Spa Diaries, targeted to high-end international audiences. She said, "I was so fortunate that I got to travel the whole of India and it was absolutely amazing. It was complete luxury and I was so blessed to get that job." Continuing in the TV industry, she next worked with a travel show called It's In. In November 2010, Karishma took part in a Telugu dance reality show called Naacho Rrey on Zee Telugu.
In October 2012, she participated in an Indian reality TV show, Bigg Boss Season 6 as a contestant on the TV Channel Colors. However, she had to make an emergency exit from the Bigg Boss house after spending nearly four weeks due to her father's demise. After leaving the show, she said in an interview with Rediff.com that she accepted the offer to do the show as her father, who had been unwell & was taken care of by Karishma, didn't want her to feel sad and wanted her to get noticed for a better career. After about 15 days of her exit, Karishma re-entered the show on day 42. She told Network 18, "I am feeling quite okay now. This is because of my dad's blessing that Colors has given me another chance to join the show." She was voted out of the show in December 2012. Reacting about her eviction, she commented in an interview, "I would have definitely liked to stay till the end, but I can't complain. Being able to survive in the house (Bigg Boss show) for 80 odd days isn't a mean feat." She also said, "I'll remember this experience all my life. It's been very interesting and emotional at the same time." Karishma made a special appearance on the show later as a presenter on the day before the finale of the show in January 2013. Talking about the recognition she received at the show, Karsishma told The Times of India, "Work has increased and yes, life has changed in terms of opportunities that are coming my way. It has been one of the toughest emotional journeys for me but it has definitely helped my career."
Karishma presented televised show called Extraaa Innings T20, a post match analysis of Indian Premier League 2013 - season 6 in April–May 2013. The show was telecast by SET Max and also featured Rochelle Maria Rao, Samir Kochhar and Gaurav Kapoor as her co-hosts. Karishma said in an interview, "Cricket is very close to every Indian's heart, so is IPL. I am definitely excited to travel all over the country, hosting the IPL and watching the matches live."
She said in a web-interview, "I come from a big family. I've seven masis (maternal aunts), two mamas (maternal uncles) and lots of cousins. I've a lot of love around me. I don't like to argue much, and I'm a spiritual and strong person. I also like to read a lot." She is fond of travelling and watching movies. Karishma likes to stay fit by good diet, doing one hour spinning classes 5 days a week, and eating healthy.
|2007||Shankar Dada Zindabad||Jahnavi||Telugu|
|2010||In Ghost House Inn||Dorothy Fernandez||Malayalam||Guest Role|
|2014||Mr Joe B. Carvalho||Neena||Hindi|
|2015||Luckhnowi Ishq||Sunaina||Hindi||Releasing in April 2015[needs update]|
|2015||Love Affair||Hindi||Releasing in 2015[needs update]|
|The Karisma Show||Presenter||English|
|2012||Bigg Boss Season 6||Contestant||Hindi|
|2016||Mazaak Mazaak Mein||Presenter||Hindi|
|2013||International Indian Film Academy Awards||Presenter||Hindi|
|2015||Darr Sabko Lagta Hai||Archana in episode thirteen||Hindi|
|2013||Indian Premier League||Presenter||Sony SIX|
|2016||Karnataka Premier League||Presenter||Sony SIX|
|2017||Asian Premier League||Presenter||Sony SIX|
|2019||2019 Cricket World Cup||Presenter||Sony SIX|
|Tamil Nadu Premier League||Presenter||Sony SIX|
|2016-17||Karnataka Premier League||Presenter||Sony SIX|
|2018-19||Mumbai Premier League||Presenter||Sony SIX|
|2018-2019||Bangladesh Football Premier League||Presenter||Bangla TV|
|2020||2020 Bangabandhu Cup||Presenter||RTV|
|2020||2020 T10 League||Presenter||Sony SIX|
- "Karishma Kotak to re-enter 'Bigg Boss' house". The Indian Express. 16 November 2012. Retrieved 16 November 2012. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- "@karishmakotak Model, TV presenter!!!! Never Born, Never Died...have been visiting This Planet Earth since the 26th of may a few decades ago".
- "bigg boss season 6 Contestants Karishma Kotak". Archived from the original on 9 October 2012.
- "Chat - Karishma Kotak - Video Transcript". Viacom 18 Media Pvt. Ltd. Archived from the original on 2 January 2013. Retrieved 5 October 2020. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- Deshmukh, Ashwini (14 January 2009). "Yuvi's new 'friend'?". The Times of India. Archived from the original on 3 January 2013. Retrieved 5 October 2020. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- Candid Confessions EP1 : Karishma Kotak. Retrieved 5 October 2020. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- Shekhar (11 January 2013). "After Bigg Boss 6, Karishma Kotak to comeback to Telugu films". Filmibeat.
Karishma Kotak recalled her fond memories spent on the sets of the movie Shankar Dada. The biggest difficulty of this Gujarati girl was to learn Telugu dialogues from Tamil director.
- "Bigg Boss really changed my life: Karishma Kotak - Times of India". indiatimes.com. Retrieved 5 October 2020. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- "Bigg Boss Live 24X7 : Web Exclusive". Viacom 18 Media Pvt. Ltd. Archived from the original on 27 November 2012. Retrieved 5 October 2020. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- "Karishma Kotak".
- "videos". Archived from the original on 12 November 2012. Retrieved 2 November 2012.
- "About Karishma". Copyright 2012 Karishma Kotak. Retrieved 7 November 2012. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- dua, aarti (19 November 2005). "Supermodels in waiting". Calcutta, India: The Telegraph.
- "Latest Entertainment News: Celebrity News, Latest News on TV Reality Shows, Breaking News & Trending Stories". News18. Retrieved 22 January 2020. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- "Idea Heaven - Lie Detector". Retrieved 22 January 2020 – via www.youtube.com. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- "Idea Heaven - YouTube Movies". Retrieved 22 January 2020 – via www.youtube.com. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- "JO Soap". jaijee3377 (on Youtube). Retrieved 18 January 2013. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- "Main Pehenta Hoon - Salman". www.youtube.com. Archived from the original on 20 May 2016. Retrieved 25 November 2016.
- "magazines". Archived from the original on 9 October 2012. Retrieved 26 October 2012.
- karishma kotak.. [@karishmakotak] (5 January 2013). "t.co/K1H0CLZc" (Tweet) – via Twitter.
- "News18.com: CNN-News18 Breaking News India, Latest News Headlines, Live News Updates". News18. Archived from the original on 15 October 2012. Retrieved 22 January 2020. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- indianmodels (4 June 2006). "Titan Xylys Fashion Show" – via YouTube.
- indianmodels (4 June 2006). "Karishma Kotak at Titan Xylys Launch" – via YouTube.
- Vum Rao (20 August 2012). "India Fashion Street Fashion Tour 2012, Designer Varsha Patwari Collections" – via YouTube.
- "Pepsi IPL 2013 player auction to be telecast live & exclusive on Sony SIX". Best Media Info. 1 February 2013. Retrieved 19 February 2013. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- Singh, Pratima (7 March 2013). "Manali Jagtap, Ghana Singh showcase new collection". Mahakaal News Management Pvt. Ltd. Retrieved 16 March 2013. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- xoBabyShine (4 August 2009). "Jay Sean - Me Against Myself (Lyrics)" – via YouTube.
- "Karishma Kotak Biography". Music video.
- "Mere Piya". Eros Worldwide FZ LLC. Retrieved 29 November 2012. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- "Home / Music / Pop / M / Mere Piya". SmasHits.com. Archived from the original on 1 November 2012. Retrieved 29 November 2012. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- Tips Official (22 May 2007). "Belly Dancing feat Apache Indian - Official Video - Album 'Sadhu The Movement'" – via YouTube.
- Tips Official (3 May 2016). "OSCAR - Kaptaan - Gippy Grewal feat. Badshah - Jaani, B Praak - Latest Punjabi Song 2016" – via YouTube.
- Service, Tribune News (18 May 2016). "Gippy Grewal promotes 'Kaptaan', a roller coaster of drama and emotions". Tribune India. Retrieved 30 May 2016. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- "Clicked Amy Jackson, Arbaaz Khan, Karishma Kotak on the sets of Sohail Khan s film". mid-day.com. 19 April 2016.
- murthy, neeraja (7 November 2010). "Dance baby dance". The Hindu. Chennai, India. Retrieved 22 November 2012. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- "Model Karishma Kotak leaves Bigg Boss' house after father's demise". DNA. PTI. 1 November 2012. Retrieved 1 November 2012. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- Negi, Meenakshi (16 November 2012). "Karishma makes a comeback!". Viacom 18 Media Pvt. Ltd. Archived from the original on 19 November 2012. Retrieved 16 November 2012. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- "Exclusive: Karishma is back on Bigg Boss!". Viacom 18 Media Pvt. Ltd. Archived from the original on 19 November 2012. Retrieved 19 November 2012. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- "Bigg Boss 6: Karishma Kotak leaves after mid-week evictions". Hindustan Times/ HT Media Limited. 26 December 2012. Retrieved 27 December 2012. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- Aggarwal, Stuti (26 December 2012). "I want to go on a date with Urvashi: Karishma". The Times of India. TNN. Archived from the original on 26 January 2013. Retrieved 27 December 2012. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- "Bigg Boss > > Videos Gallery > Bigg Boss 6, Full Episode 96 - Salman reveals top four finalists!". Viacom 18 Media Pvt. Ltd. Archived from the original on 14 January 2013. Retrieved 12 January 2013. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- Talukdar, Taniya (29 January 2013). "Calling Mr Joe. B. Carvalho: Karishma joins Arshad, Soha for shoot". The Times of India. TNN. Archived from the original on 29 July 2013. Retrieved 31 January 2013. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- D’Cunha, Zenia (3 May 2013). "IPL: The curse of the female reporter". india.com. Retrieved 10 May 2013. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- "Hottest female anchors in IPL". Deccan Chronicle. 25 May 2013. Retrieved 14 June 2013. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- "Rochelle Maria Rao and Karishma Kotak to Spice Up IPL Extraaa Innings". IndiaTimes. Retrieved 14 June 2013. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- "Karishma Kotak's other side you seldom get to see". Can-India News/WORLD MEDIA CORP. 16 March 2013. Archived from the original on 31 October 2014. Retrieved 16 March 2013. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- Service, Tribune News (31 July 2015). "Aye Aye Kaptaan!". tribuneindia.com. Retrieved 31 July 2015. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- "Karishma Kotak - Exclusive Interview with Kushi Media at the IIFA Awards 2013". www.abcnewsgo.net.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Karishma Kotak.|