Karl-August Freiherr von Bülow
|Georg Burkhardt Karl-August Freiherr von Bülow|
|Born||13 June 1904
|Died||11 June 1986
|Allegiance|| Weimar Republic (to 1933)
|Years of service||1923–45|
|Commands held||Panzer-Regiment 24|
|Awards||Knight's Cross of the Iron Cross|
Georg Burkhardt Karl-August Freiherr von Bülow[a] (13 June 1904 – 11 June 1986) was a highly decorated Oberst in the Wehrmacht during World War II. He was also a recipient of the Knight's Cross of the Iron Cross. The Knight's Cross of the Iron Cross was awarded to recognise extreme battlefield bravery or successful military leadership. Karl-August Freiherr von Bülow was captured by American troops in 1945 and was released in 1946.
Awards and decorations
- Sudetenland Medal (15 August 1939)
- Iron Cross (1939)
- 2nd Class (27 September 1939)
- 1st Class (6 June 1940)
- Panzer Badge in Silver (28 May 1940)
- Eastern Front Medal (5 September 1942)
- German Cross in Gold (29 November 1941)
- Knight's Cross of the Iron Cross on 12 December 1944 as Oberst and commander of Panzer-Regiment 24
- a Regarding personal names: Freiherr is a former title (translated as Baron), which is now legally a part of the last name. The feminine forms are Freifrau and Freiin.
- Fellgiebel 2000, p. 126.
- Fellgiebel, Walther-Peer (2000). Die Träger des Ritterkreuzes des Eisernen Kreuzes 1939–1945 – Die Inhaber der höchsten Auszeichnung des Zweiten Weltkrieges aller Wehrmachtteile [The Bearers of the Knight's Cross of the Iron Cross 1939–1945 — The Owners of the Highest Award of the Second World War of all Wehrmacht Branches] (in German). Friedberg, Germany: Podzun-Pallas. ISBN 978-3-7909-0284-6.
- Patzwall, Klaus D.; Scherzer, Veit (2001). Das Deutsche Kreuz 1941 – 1945 Geschichte und Inhaber Band II [The German Cross 1941 – 1945 History and Recipients Volume 2] (in German). Norderstedt, Germany: Verlag Klaus D. Patzwall. ISBN 978-3-931533-45-8.
- Scherzer, Veit (2007). Die Ritterkreuzträger 1939–1945 Die Inhaber des Ritterkreuzes des Eisernen Kreuzes 1939 von Heer, Luftwaffe, Kriegsmarine, Waffen-SS, Volkssturm sowie mit Deutschland verbündeter Streitkräfte nach den Unterlagen des Bundesarchives [The Knight's Cross Bearers 1939–1945 The Holders of the Knight's Cross of the Iron Cross 1939 by Army, Air Force, Navy, Waffen-SS, Volkssturm and Allied Forces with Germany According to the Documents of the Federal Archives] (in German). Jena, Germany: Scherzers Miltaer-Verlag. ISBN 978-3-938845-17-2.