|Alma mater||International School of Geneva (Ecolint)|
Faculty of Business and Economics (Lausanne)
|Occupation||Co-President of Chopard|
President of La Chronométrie Ferdinand Berthoud
|Parent(s)||Karl and Karin Scheufele|
|Relatives||Caroline Scheufele (sister)|
Karl-Friedrich Scheufele, born February 5, 1958 in Pforzheim, Germany, is Co-President of Chopard along with his sister, Caroline, and President of La Chronométrie Ferdinand Berthoud. He is the son of Karl and Karin Scheufele, German entrepreneurs who acquired Chopard in 1963. In 2005, he established the Fleurier Quality Foundation, an independent Swiss watch certification body, and he founded the L.U.C.EUM watch museum in Fleurier a year later.
He set up a wine sales company, La Galerie des Arts du Vin, at the end of the 1990s and acquired a number of Caveaux de Bacchus boutiques in Switzerland. In 2012, he bought the Château Monestier-la-Tour wine estate, which produces 150,000 bottles per year in a variety of AOPs in France.
Karl-Friedrich Scheufele was born in 1958 in Pforzheim, Germany, and he grew up in the city of Pforzheim, where he lived until the age of 15. His parents were at the head of watchmaking company Eszeha, based in Pforzheim.
At the age of 15, Karl-Friedrich left Germany for Switzerland and enrolled in the International School of Geneva (Ecolint), along with his sister Caroline. In 1973, he served an apprenticeship with a jeweler in Geneva, before studying at the Faculty of Business and Economics (HEC Lausanne).
Karl-Friedrich Scheufele joined Chopard in the 1980s, spending successive periods in all departments. Caroline also went to work for the family business.
At the age of 22, he designed the company’s first sports watch. The St. Moritz is also the first model conceived by Karl-Friedrich. From that time, Karl-Friedrich built the Chopard business around watch making. Later, he founded a manufacture exclusively dedicated to the production of high precision mechanical movements. Chopard Manufacture was inaugurated in 1996 in Fleurier in the Val-de-Travers.
In 2001, Karl-Friedrich and his sister became Co-Presidents of the company. Karl-Friedrich Scheufele and Michel Parmigiani jointly set up the Fleurier Quality Foundation, an independent watch certification body. The Fleurier Quality label, which particularly certifies 100% Swiss manufacture, was established in 2005. In 2006, Karl-Friedrich Scheufele inaugurated the L.U.CEUM watchmaking museum in Fleurier. Today, Karl-Friedrich is in charge of the Chopard Manufacture, the men's watches division and all business management aspects, including marketing, advertising and communication.
Revival of Ferdinand Berthoud
While seeking to enrich the collection at the L.U.C.EUM watchmaking museum, Karl-Friedrich uncovered the history of watchmaker Ferdinand Berthoud (1727-1807). In 2006, Karl-Friedrich acquired the Ferdinand Berthoud brand. He registered the trade name under Chronométrie Ferdinand Berthoud in 2013 and launched it in 2015.
In 2016, Karl-Friedrich was awarded with the Aiguille d’Or prize ("Golden Hand"), the highest distinction awarded by the Grand Prix de l’Horlogerie in Geneva, for a Ferdinand Berthoud watch. In November 2017, he won the same prize for Chopard's L.U.C Full Strike watch.
As a wine lover, alongside his work for Chopard, Karl-Friedrich established a wine sales company, La Galerie des Arts du Vin, in 1996. Three years later, he acquired the Caveau de Bacchus boutique and opened several boutiques across Switzerland.
In 2012, Karl-Friedrich Scheufele acquired the Château Monestier-la-Tour in France, a wine estate in the region of Bergerac that comprises over 100 hectares, including 30 hectares of vineyards of the Bergerac AOC appellation. In 2017, after having completed the renovation of its buildings and the restructuring of the vineyard, the estate obtained organic certification. It now produces 150,000 bottles in AOP Bergerac, Côtes de Bergerac and AOP Saussignac.
Karl-Friedrich also collects vintage cars, a passion he shares with his father. In 1987, Karl-Friedrich discovered the Mille Miglia, a classic car rally that runs from Brescia to Rome. He completed this 1,600 km race with his father. The following year, he set up a partnership between Chopard and Mille Miglia, and the company became the official race sponsor. Since that time, he has taken part in each edition, often with racing driver Jacky Ickx. A few years later, he created further partnerships with the Grand Prix de Monaco Historique and with Porsche Motorsport.
- "Karl-Friedrich Scheufele, co-founder of Chopard, on how he grew a small family firm into a global brand". The Telegraph. December 12, 2017.
- "Time lord: Karl-Friedrich Scheufele's 20 years of haute horology". Wallpaper.com. October 26, 2016.
- "Interview: Karl-Friedrich Scheufele for Chopard". Luxury Insider. May 28, 2012.
- "Karl Friedrich Scheufele on His Winning Formula and the new Chopard LUC Perpetual T Spirit of the Chinese zodiac piece unique". Luxuo.com. November 16, 2017.
- "Luxury watchmakers from Switzerland: Interview with Co-President of Chopard, Karl-Friedrich Scheufele, on the essence of watchmaking". Luxuo.com. May 22, 2017.
- "Chopard's Karl Scheufele Joins Luxury Billionaire Ranks". Forbes. April 15, 2014.
- "See the party photos at the Baselworld 2016 GQ Lifetime Achievement Award". GQ Magazine. March 17, 2016.
- "2016 GQ Lifetime Achievement Award for Karl-Friedrich Scheufele, Co-President of Chopard". Watchprosite.com. March 20, 2016.
- "Karl-Friedrich Scheufele: Chopard's Family Man". hautetime.com. November 4, 2013.
- "Watch Archives Prove Their Worth". The New York Times. March 23, 2017.
- "Karl Scheufele, III. & family". Forbes. September 14, 2018.
- "How to build a luxury brand: Karl-Friedrich Scheufele on Chopard". The Jackal Magazine. August 20, 2018.
- Fleurier - A Village Regains Past Splendor, Published March 8, 2012 The New York Times
- Karl-Friedrich Scheufele for Chopard, Published on May 2012
- The Robb Reader Interview with Karl-Friedrich Scheufele, Retrieved May 01, 2010
- Karl-Friedrich Scheufele of Chopard buys Bergerac Wine Estate, - elitechoice.org
- "Ethical Conversations with Karl-Friedrich Scheufele, Co-President of Chopard". Hours and Minutes Magazine. May 31, 2018.
- Exclusive interview with Karl-Friedrich Scheufele, Published on 2008