Böttcher and Erwin Rommel
|Born||25 October 1889|
|Died||21 October 1973(aged 83)|
|Allegiance|| German Empire
|Years of service||1909–45|
|Commands held||21st Panzer Division
345th Infantry Division
326th Infantry Division
347th Infantry Division
|Battles/wars||World War II|
|Awards||Knight's Cross of the Iron Cross|
Karl Böttcher (25 October 1889 – 21 October 1973) was a German general in the Wehrmacht during World War II who commanded several divisions. He was a recipient of the Knight's Cross of the Iron Cross.
Böttcher served in the Deutsches Afrikakorps under Erwin Rommel where he commanded an artillery regiment. Later Böttcher was made commander of the 21st Panzer Division. Böttcher surrendered to the Western Allies in 1945 and was interned until 1947.
Awards and decorations
- Iron Cross (1914) 2nd Class (November 1914) & 1st Class (July 1916)
- Frederickscross (27 January 1916)
- Honour Cross of the World War 1914/1918 (1 January 1935)
- Wehrmacht Long Service Award 1st Class (2 October 1936)
- Memel Medal (10 December 1939)
- Clasp to the Iron Cross (1939) 2nd Class (5 June 1940) & 1st Class (15 November 1940)
- Knight's Cross of the Iron Cross on 13 December 1941 as generalmajor and commander of 21st Panzer Division
- Italian Military Order of Savoy (14 January 1942)
- Scherzer, Veit (2007). Die Ritterkreuzträger 1939–1945 Die Inhaber des Ritterkreuzes des Eisernen Kreuzes 1939 von Heer, Luftwaffe, Kriegsmarine, Waffen-SS, Volkssturm sowie mit Deutschland verbündeter Streitkräfte nach den Unterlagen des Bundesarchives [The Knight's Cross Bearers 1939–1945 The Holders of the Knight's Cross of the Iron Cross 1939 by Army, Air Force, Navy, Waffen-SS, Volkssturm and Allied Forces with Germany According to the Documents of the Federal Archives] (in German). Jena, Germany: Scherzers Militaer-Verlag. ISBN 978-3-938845-17-2.
- Wegmann, Günter (2004). Die Ritterkreuzträger der Deutschen Wehrmacht 1939–1945 Teil VIIIa: Panzertruppe Band 1: A–E [The Knight's Cross Bearers of the German Wehrmacht 1939–1945 Part VIIIa: Panzer Force Volume 1: A–E] (in German). Bissendorf, Germany: Biblio-Verlag. ISBN 978-3-7648-2322-1.
Oberstleutnant Gustav-Georg Knabe
|Commander of 21st Panzer Division
1 December 1941 – 11 February 1942
Generalmajor Georg von Bismarck