Karl Fogel is an author, software developer, Executive Director of copyright activist non-profit Question Copyright, and former board member of the Open Source Initiative where he served as the Board Treasurer. His work, Producing Open Source Software, is a well-referenced source of information about the human side of open source software. Fogel is currently updating the Creative Commons licensed (CC BY-SA 4.0) book to a second edition following a successful crowdfunding campaign on Kickstarter.com.
- "About QuestionCopyright.org". Question Copyright. Retrieved 14 April 2014.
- "OSI Board Changes 2014". 2014-04-09. Retrieved 2014-04-09.
- "Book Review of Karl Fogel's "Producing Open Source Software"". Groklaw. 2006-01-05. Archived from the original on 2016-03-30. Retrieved 2012-03-12.
- "Producing Open Source Software". Producingoss.com. 2005-09-29. Retrieved 2012-03-12.
- Producing Open Source Software: How to Run a Successful Free Software Project by Karl Fogel Copyright © 2005-2016 Karl Fogel, under the CreativeCommons Attribution-ShareAlike (4.0) license (https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/4.0/) (on page 2)
- "Updating "Producing Open Source Software" for 2nd Edition". Kickstarter. Retrieved 14 April 2014.