Karl Friedrich, Prince of Hohenzollern
|Prince Karl Friedrich|
|Prince of Hohenzollern|
|Head of the Princely House of Hohenzollern|
|Tenure||16 September 2010 – present|
|Predecessor||Prince Friedrich Wilhelm|
20 April 1952|
Sigmaringen, Baden-Württemberg, West Germany
Countess Alexandra Schenck von Stauffenberg
(m. 1985; div. 2010)
Nina de Zomer
Prince Alexander, Hereditary Prince of Hohenzollern|
|Father||Friedrich Wilhelm, Prince of Hohenzollern|
|Mother||Princess Margarita of Leiningen|
Karl Friedrich, Prince of Hohenzollern (born 20 April 1952) is the eldest son of the late Friedrich Wilhelm, Prince of Hohenzollern and Princess Margarita of Leiningen. He became head of the Princely House of Hohenzollern, the Roman Catholic Swabian branch of the dynasty, upon his father's death on 16 September 2010.
Education and career
The prince read business administration at the University of Fribourg, Switzerland.
He is the chairman and sole owner of Unternehmensgruppe Fürst von Hohenzollern (Corporate Group Prince of Hohenzollern), including real estate and forests with 400 employees, and ownes a 50% share in the Zollern GmbH und Co. KG (steelworks, transmission technics) with 2800 employees.
According to the 1923 constitution of Romania, Karl Friedrich is the rightful heir to the defunct throne since 2017, upon the death of former King Michael. However, in a 2009 interview, he stated that he had no interest in the Romanian throne.
Marriage and children
He married Countess Alexandra Schenck von Stauffenberg, daughter of Count Clemens Anton Schenck von Stauffenberg (first cousin once removed of Colonel Claus Schenk Graf von Stauffenberg) and his wife Countess Clementine Elisabeth Wolff-Metternich zur Gracht, on 17 May 1985 in the Beuron Archabbey, Baden-Württemberg. They were divorced on 21 January 2010, in Sigmaringen. They have four children:
- Alexander Friedrich Antonius Johannes, Hereditary Prince of Hohenzollern (b. 16 March 1987)
- Princess Philippa Marie Carolina Isabelle of Hohenzollern (b. 2 November 1988)
- Princess Flaminia Pia Eilika Stephanie of Hohenzollern (b. 9 January 1992)
- Princess Antonia Elisabeth Georgina Tatiana of Hohenzollern (b. 22 June 1995)
On 17 July 2010 Karl Friedrich married for the second time with Katharina (Nina) de Zomer (born 1959), a German photographer.
The prince lives on his hunting estate Josefslust House, whereas the nearby hunting lodge is used by his brother Albrecht (born 1954) and the nearby Krauchenwies estate by his divorced wife, princess Alexandra. Furthermore he owns Umkirch Castle.
He has his offices at Sigmaringen Castle which is also open to the public and being used for family weddings and other ceremonial occasions.
Titles, styles and honours
- 20 April 1952 – 6 February 1965: His Serene Highness Prince Karl Friedrich of Hohenzollern
- 6 February 1965 – 16 September 2010: His Serene Highness The Hereditary Prince of Hohenzollern
- 16 September 2010 – present: His Royal Highness The Prince of Hohenzollern
- House of Hohenzollern: Co-Grand Master of the Princely House Order of Hohenzollern
- House of Hohenzollern: Grand Master of the Hohenzollern Decoration of Merit
- German Imperial and Royal Family: Knight of the Imperial and Royal Order of the Black Eagle
- Genealogisches Handbuch des Adels, Fürstliche Häuser XIX. "Haus Hohenzollern". C.A. Starke Verlag, 2011, pp. 32-33, 260. ISBN 978-3-7980-0849-6.
- (in Romanian) "Karl Friedrich of Hohenzollern: „Radu Duda's Hohenzollern title is a farce“ Archived 12 June 2009 at the Wayback Machine., Cotidianul, 10 June 2009
- Hereditary Princess is wearing a white wedding veil – Website Schwäbische Zeitung
- tumblr.com, Karl-Friedrich wearing the German Order of the Black Eagle and the Hohenzollern House order
- [dead link]
Karl Friedrich, Prince of Hohenzollern
Cadet branch of the House of HohenzollernBorn: 20 April 1952
Prince Friedrich Wilhelm
| Prince of Hohenzollern
16 September 2010 – present