Karl Gustav Jöreskog
|Karl Gustav Jöreskog|
25 April 1935 |
Educational Testing Service
|Alma mater||Uppsala University|
|Doctoral advisor||Herman Wold|
|Doctoral students||Bengt O. Muthén|
|Known for||Linear structural equation models
Maximum likelihood factor analysis
Karl Gustav Jöreskog (born 25 April 1935) is a Swedish statistician. Jöreskog is a Professor Emeritus at Uppsala University, and a co-author (with Dag Sörbom) of the LISREL statistical program. He is also a member of the Royal Swedish Academy of Sciences. Jöreskog received his bachelor's, master's, and doctoral degrees in Uppsala University. He is also a former student of Herman Wold. He was a statistician at Educational Testing Service (ETS) and a visiting professor at Princeton University.
Jöreskog proposed a reliable numerical method for computing maximum-likelihood estimates in factor analysis; similarly reliable methods were also proposed by Gerhard Derflinger, Robert Jennrich, and Stephen M. Robinson at roughly the same time. Jöreskog's Fortran codes helped to popularize factor analysis around the world. While working at the Educational Testing Service and giving lectures at Princeton University, Jöreskog proposed a linear model for the analysis of covariance structures, a fundamental contribution to structural equation modeling (SEM).
In 1974 he was elected as a Fellow of the American Statistical Association. In 2007 Jöreskog received the Award for distinguished scientific applications of psychology from the American Psychological Association (APA).
- Jöreskog, K. G. (1969). A general approach to confirmatory maximum likelihood factor analysis. Psychometrika, 34, 183–202.
- Jöreskog, K. G. (1970). "A general method for analysis of covariance structures". Biometrika. 57: 239–251. doi:10.1093/biomet/57.2.239.
- Jöreskog, K. G., and Goldberger, A. S. (1975). "Estimation of a model with multiple indicators and multiple causes of a single latent variable". Journal of the American Statistical Association. 70 (351): 631–639. doi:10.2307/2285946. JSTOR 2285946.
- Jöreskog, K. G., & Sörbom, D. (1979). Advances in factor analysis and structural equation models. New York: University Press of America.
- Jöreskog, K. G., & Moustaki, I. (2001). Factor analysis of ordinal variables: A comparison of three approaches. Multivariate Behavioral Research, 36, 347–387.
- Cudeck, R., Jöreskog, K. G., Du Toit, S. H. C., & Sörbom, D. (2001). Structural Equation Modeling: Present and Future : a Festschrift in Honor of Karl Jöreskog. Scientific Software International.
- Confirmatory factor analysis
- Computational statistics
- Exploratory factor analysis
- Factor analysis
- Latent variable
- Maximum likelihood
- Measurement theory
- Multivariate analysis
- Multivariate statistics
- Ordinal variable
- Structural equation model
- Uppsala University
- Wold, Hermann
- View/Search Fellows of the ASA, accessed 2016-08-20.
- Karl G. Jöreskog: Award for Distinguished Scientific Applications of Psychology. American Psychologist, 62, 768-769.