|Born||Sheffield, England, UK|
|Rank||Warrant Officer Class 2|
|Unit||11 Explosive Ordnance Disposal Regiment, Royal Logistic Corps|
Karl Ley GM is Class 2 Warrant Officer in the British Army and a bomb disposal expert from the 11 EOD Regiment who was awarded the George Medal for bomb disposal duties in Afghanistan, where he defused more roadside IEDs than anyone else during his six-month tour of duty.
Ley was sent on active service with the British Army in 2010 as part of the task force engaged on Operation Herrick. During this period, Ley was a Staff Sergeant engaged in Operation Moshtarak as part of the 15,000 troops involved in the operation. He was posted to the Counter-Improvised Explosive Device (C-IED) Task Force, responsible for providing IEDD operations to the task force. During the operation, Ley was interviewed and commented that, "We were on MOSHTARAK before MOSHTARAK started. We had to make sure that the routes were clear of devices so that the infantry guys could pass through safely." Ley recovered 139 devices during his tour in Helmand Province. This was "twice as many as any other bomb disposal expert." Ley was classified as a "high threat operator", once having to deactivate 42 bombs in a single village.
Upon his return from his tour of duty, Ley was awarded the George Medal on 24 September 2010 for "conspicuous gallantry whilst serving". The Medal was presented by Prince Charles on 17 December 2010. He also, along with his unit, received service medals from Tim Stevenson, the Lord Lieutenant of Oxfordshire."
- "George Medal for Army bomb expert", Press Association, 24 September 2010
- "Kim Sengupta: Bomb diffusers have the most dangerous job", The Independent, 25 May 2010
- "Warrant Officer Class 2 Karl Ley to receive George Medal". 24 September 2010. Retrieved 24 September 2010.
- "Sheffield bomb expert Karl Ley awarded bravery medal". BBC. 24 September 2010. Retrieved 24 September 2010.
- "Bomb expert hailed a hero", Sheffield Telegraph, 4 March 2010
- "C-IED troops make a difference to Op MOSHTARAK", Ministry of Defence, 1 March 2010
- "Decorated bomb disposal expert describes his 'busy day'". The Daily Telegraph. 24 September 2010. Retrieved 24 September 2010.
- "Operational Honours and Awards List: 24 September 2010". 24 September 2010. Retrieved 24 September 2010.
- Sheffield bomb expert Karl Ley receives George Medal - BBC News, 17 December 2010
- Larcombe, Duncan, "Hurt Locker heroes home", The Sun, 17 April 2010