||This biographical article needs additional citations for verification. (March 2010)|
Karl Sanders performing live
June 5, 1963 |
Greenville, South Carolina
|Genres||Technical death metal, death metal, ambient, thrash metal|
|Instruments||Vocals, guitars, bass, bağlama, saz, bouzouki, keyboards, guitar synthesizer, percussion, drums, ebow|
|Years active||Since late 1980s|
Karl Sanders (born June 5, 1963) is an American musician, most widely known as the founding member of the American ancient Egyptian-themed technical death metal band Nile. He was born in California, and lives in Greenville, South Carolina. Sanders is endorsed by Dean Guitars, and has two signature models by KxK Guitars.
Sanders began his own solo side project in 2004. Much of the music that he plays includes similar elements of his band Nile, however presented in an ambient/Egyptian folk format, rather than death metal. Karl Sanders explained that "he got sick of hearing big loud death metal everyday after touring," and started writing quieter music to relax, and recorded them.
According to Karl Sanders himself in the official Nile forum and in a "Rigged" article on metalsucks, the following is the equipment Sanders uses to perform. He currently owns 19 instruments.
- Dean V Nile Custom
- Dean 79 V
- Dean ML
- KxK Spear V
- 1973 Fender Strat with Warmoth "Jackson" neck
- Natural finish KxK Double-Neck V - Top neck fretless 11 string, bottom neck in drop A
- Dark finish KxK Double-Neck V - Top neck in drop D, bottom neck in drop A
- KxK Seven string V
- Godin Glissentar
- Godin ACS Slim Solidbody Classical
- Dean 12-string acoustic
- Handmade Turkish bağlama saz
- Seymour Duncan Invader
- SIT .070 .050 .038 .017 .012 .010
- Dunlop Tortex Sharp 1.35 mm
- Marshall JCM 2000 DSL 100 heads
- Marshall 1960 a/b cabs with Celestion G12K-100 speakers
- Roland GP-8
- Lexicon Digital Reverb
- Roland GR-1 Guitar synth
- Roland PK-5 Midi Pedals
- Customized Dell Vostro *Sonar and Kontact software
- M-audio Interface
- Glyph Porta Drive
- MOTU interface
- Radial Tonebone Plexi Pedal
- Radial Direct Boxes
- Radial JD-7
- Monster cable
Sanders guested on Behemoth's 2004 CD release, Demigod, playing a guitar solo on the track "XUL". He also performed a guitar solo at the end of the track "God of Our Own Divinity" by Morbid Angel, on their 2003 album Heretic, as well as a solo on the song "The Final War (Battle of Actium)" on Ex Deo's 2009 album Romulus. Karl also played on Grave's 2010 album Burial Ground on the tracks "Bloodtrail" and "Naafa",and provided guest vocals for Nervecell's song "Shunq (To the Despaired... King of Darkness)" on their 2011 album Psychogenocide. On Tourniquet's 2012 album Antiseptic Bloodbath, Karl contributed a guitar solo on the track "Chamunda Temple Stampede".
|Release date||Album details||Label||Format|
|October 26, 2004||Saurian Meditation||Relapse Records||CD|
|April 14, 2009||Saurian Exorcisms||The End Records||CD|
- Metalship (2013-02-12). "Interview with Karl Sanders of Nile". Metalship.
- Karl Sanders’ Special Guest Appearance on new EX DEO album! blogs.myspace.com. 2009-05-12. Retrieved on 2010-03-16.