8 July 1961 |
|Genres||Jazz, traditional music|
Karl Seglem (born 8 July 1961 in Årdalstangen, Norway) is a Norwegian Jazz musician (saxophone and bukkehorn), composer and producer, known from a series of combined jazz and traditional music releases, as well as leading his own record label NorCD from 1991.
Seglem was educated on the Music program at Voss Folk High School (1978–80), followed by cooperation with Arvid Genius, «Jan Grieg Qvartet», Kenneth Sivertsen (1980–92) and Knut Kristiansen (during the 1980s) in Bergen. He also led his own Jazz band «Growl», wrote for the magazin «Jazznytt» and was politically active in Foreningen norske jazzmusikere.
He has released eight albums in his own name, and has a long lasting cooperation with Terje Isungset like in the bands Isglem and trio «Utla» where also fiddle player Håkon Høgemo contributed, resulting in many record releases. begge har resultert i flere utgivelser on his own label. He has also released two albums cooperating with the poet Jon Fosse.
Around 2000 he started experimenting with the old Norwegian instrument bukkehorn or Billy Goat Horn. He is currently the main instrumentalist playing the instrument in the world.
Seglem has toured extensively with Rikskonsertene and Den norske jazzscene. In 2013 he also toured in Norway with Morning Has Occurred fronted by Natalie Sandtorv and Marte Eberson, for the project 'Jazz til ungdom' (Jazz to the youth).
- 1983: Årdal Kommune´s Culture Prize
- 1998: Gammleng-prisen in open class
- 1998: Edvard Prize in the class Popular music, major work, together with Reidar Skår for TYA
- 2010: Buddyprisen
- 2012: Commissioned work Som spor at Vossajazz
- 1988: Poems For Trio (Hot Club Records)
- 1991: Sogn-A-Song (NorCD)
- 1994: Rit (NorCD)
- 1998: Spir (album) (NorCD)
- 2002: Nye nord (NorCD)
- 2004: New north (NorCD)
- 2004: Femstein (NorCD)
- 2005: Budda og reven Singie (NorCD)
- 2005: Reik (NorCD)
- 2006: Urbs (NorCD)
- 2008: Spelferd – a playful journey DVD (NorCD)
- 2009: NORSKjazz.no (NorCD)
- 2009: Skoddeheimen (NorCD)
- 2009: Draumkvedet (NorCD)
- 2010: Ossicles (NorCD)
- 2013: NyeSongar.no (Ozella Music)
- 2014: Som Spor (NorCD)
- 2015: Lærad The Tree (NorCD)
- 2015: Live In Germany (NorCD)
- 2015: WorldJazz (NorCD)
- "Karl Seglem Biography". Listen to Norway MIC.no. Retrieved 2013-10-31.
- "Jazz til ungdom" (in Norwegian). Jazz INorge.no. 2013-04-29. Retrieved 2015-10-23.
- "Gisle Torvik med Karl Seglem og Epletrio" (in Norwegian). Vossajazz. 2014. Retrieved 2014-04-14.
- Baekgaard, Jakob (2014-08-27). "Karl Seglem: NyeSongar.No (2013)". All About Jazz. Retrieved 2014-09-11.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Karl Seglem.|
- Official website
- Karl Seglem NorCD.no
- Karl Seglem Biography - Norsk Musikkinformasjon
- Monitor: Morning Has Occurred og Karl Seglem
Agnes Buen Garnås
|Recipient of the Gammleng-prisen Open class
|Recipient of the Buddyprisen