Karl Turner (British politician)
|Shadow Attorney General|
11 January 2016 – 26 June 2016
|Preceded by||Catherine McKinnell|
|Succeeded by||The Baroness Chakrabarti|
|Member of Parliament|
for Hull East
Assumed office |
6 May 2010
|Preceded by||John Prescott|
Karl William Turner|
15 April 1971
University of Hull
Karl William Turner (born 15 April 1971) is a British Labour Party politician, who has been the Member of Parliament (MP) for Hull East since 2010. He was appointed Shadow Attorney General in January 2016 by Jeremy Corbyn, before resigning in June.
Born in Hull, East Riding of Yorkshire, Turner was educated at Bransholme High School from 1984 to 1987, and left school at the age of 16. From 1987 to 1989, he attended HCC Training to study Business Administration. Later, Turner became a self-employed antiques dealer. He returned to education in the late 1990s to study A-levels at Hull College, before he graduated with a law degree as a mature student from the University of Hull in 2004. He became a barrister in 2005 after passing the Bar Vocational Course at Northumbria University and went on to practise criminal law for the Max Gold Partnership in Hull.
Turner was selected by the Labour Party as the prospective parliamentary candidate for Kingston upon Hull East in March 2008 (although this was not confirmed by Labour Party HQ until August 2008) for the upcoming general election after John Prescott confirmed he would not stand. He was elected to the House of Commons as Member of Parliament (MP) for Kingston upon Hull East at the 2010 general election by a majority of 8,597.
In April 2014, Turner referred himself to the Parliamentary Commissioner for Standards after complaints were made in relation to invitations to a £45-a-head Labour Party fundraising event. The invitations were sent using parliamentary email accounts. The Commissioner for Standards concluded that there should be no inquiry. He was appointed Shadow Solicitor General by Labour leader Ed Miliband on 3 December 2014, and continued to serve as an opposition whip.
On 11 January 2016, Turner was appointed Shadow Attorney General to replace Catherine McKinnell who resigned following a reshuffle to the Shadow Cabinet of Jeremy Corbyn. On 26 June 2016, Turner resigned from the Shadow Cabinet following the EU referendum, among a number of his colleagues unhappy with Jeremy Corbyn's leadership.
On 14 October 2016, it was announced that Turner had returned to Labour's frontbench as a Whip. Following the 2017 general election he was appointed as Shadow Shipping, Aviation and Road Safety Minister within the Shadow Transport team.
Alleged sexual abuse
On 12 March 2018, allegations of sexual misconduct against Turner were revealed to the British press. Turner was said to have slapped a woman's buttocks in 2015 and, in 2014 complained that the same woman, who had had a double mastectomy, had removed her 'great' breasts and had made comments about her bottom. Turner, via his solicitors, denied making any such comments or behaving inappropriately.
When contacted for comment, the Labour Party has said it takes all complaints about inappropriate behaviour "extremely seriously", but has not yet received an official complaint.
He is married to Leanne Turner.
- "Karl William Turner". Companies House. Retrieved 16 November 2015.
- "Karl Turner MP". BBC News. Retrieved 25 July 2010.
- "About Karl". Karl Turner. Retrieved 16 November 2015.
- "Alumni – Profiles: Hull Training Graduates: Karl Turner MP". HCC Training. Archived from the original on 24 July 2012.
- "Turner's bid for history books". Hull Daily Mail. 18 March 2008. Retrieved 16 November 2015.
- "Prescott's Hull East successor confirmed". Hull Daily Mail. 1 September 2008. Retrieved 16 November 2015.
- "Hull East". BBC News. Retrieved 7 May 2010.
- "MP will not face spending probe". The Yorkshire Post. Leeds. 8 May 2014. Retrieved 24 March 2016.
- "Labour reshuffle: Peer takes shadow attorney role". BBC News. 3 December 2014. Retrieved 16 November 2015.
- Dathan, Matt (11 January 2016). "Jeremy Corbyn appoints Karl Turner Shadow Attorney General after suffering latest frontbench resignation". The Independent. London. Retrieved 26 June 2016.
- "East Hull MP Karl Turner quits Labour shadow cabinet as Jeremy Corbyn revolt grows". Hull Daily Mail. 26 June 2016. Retrieved 26 June 2016.
- Syal, Rajeev; Perraudin, Frances; Slawson, Nicola (27 June 2016). "Shadow cabinet resignations: who has gone and who is staying". The Guardian. Retrieved 14 September 2016.
- "Karl Turner returns to Jeremy Corbyn front bench as Labour whip". Hull Daily Mail. 14 October 2016. Retrieved 17 October 2016.
- "Reshuffle 2: The Maintenance of the Malcontents". New Socialist. 2017-07-08. Retrieved 2017-07-10.
- Hughes, Laura (12 March 2018). "Senior Labour MP accused of 'slapping' woman's buttocks". Financial Times. Retrieved 12 March 2018.
- Heffer, Greg (12 March 2018). "Labour MP Karl Turner denies misogyny after allegedly 'slapping woman's buttocks'". Sky News. Retrieved 12 March 2018.
- Harley, Nick (15 April 2013). "Burglar raided MP's east Hull home". Hull Daily Mail. Retrieved 16 November 2015.
- Profile at Parliament of the United Kingdom
- Contributions in Parliament at Hansard 2010–present
- Voting record at Public Whip
- Record in Parliament at TheyWorkForYou
|Parliament of the United Kingdom|
| Member of Parliament
for Kingston upon Hull East
| Shadow Attorney General
The Baroness Chakrabarti