Kloss in 2011 for Anna Sui
|Born||Karlie Elizabeth Kloss
August 3, 1992
Chicago, Illinois, U.S.
|Height||6 ft 1 in (1.85 m)|
|Hair color||Dark blonde|
|Measurements||(US) 31-23-34 (EU) 78.5-58.5-86.5|
|Dress size||(US) 2; (EU) 34|
|Shoe size||(US) 9; (EU) 40; (UK) 6.5|
Karlie Elizabeth Kloss (born August 3, 1992) is an American fashion model. Vogue Paris declared her one of the top 30 models of the 2000s. She was a Victoria's Secret Angel from 2013 to 2015.
Early life and discovery
Kloss was born in Chicago, Illinois, and later moved to St. Louis at the age of 2, the daughter of Tracy (née Fares), a freelance art director, and Kurt Kloss, an emergency physician. Her family has Danish roots. She has three sisters, Kristine, and twins Kimberly and Kariann. She moved to St. Louis, with her family, in 1994. Kloss has called her classical ballet training "a beautiful thing" that taught her how to move in the modeling world and was a great training ground for her runway walk. Kloss was "discovered at a local benefit runway show". She attended Webster Groves High School. She enrolled in NYU's Gallatin School of Individualized Study in 2015.
2006–10: Beginnings and modelling breakthrough
In 2006, at the age of 14, Kloss posed for a cover and editorial shoot for the June issue of Scene Magazine in Chicago with Photographer David Leslie Anthony, in an editorial spread titled "Almost Famous". Elite Chicago (now Factor Women) then forwarded these tear sheets to Elite NY, who then brought Kloss to New York.
One of her first modelling stints was for Abercrombie kids when she posed for the brand's photography shot by Bruce Weber. In January 2008 she left Elite and signed with NEXT Model Management. She ended up walking 31 runways in New York Fashion Week notably, closing for Marc Jacobs, opening Carolina Herrera, and occupying both spots at Doo.Ri. After New York she went on to walk 20 shows in Milan, and 13 in Paris for the fall 2008 collections, with a total of 64 shows in a single season. Kloss found herself in the middle of a legal dispute when her former agency Elite Model Management sued NEXT Model Management for allegedly stealing its young star by offering her "improper compensation" to sign. Elite felt they were responsible for launching her career and booked much work for her. The case was eventually settled out of court.
After four years of being represented by Next Model Management, Kloss is now signed with IMG Models. "Karlie has an immense and loyal following, and we welcome the opportunity to help expand her relationships through endorsements as well as our global network that reaches beyond fashion", said Ivan Bart, IMG Models' senior vice president and managing director.
She has been in advertisements for Rebecca Taylor, Jean Paul Gaultier, Donna Karan, Nina Ricci, Chloé, Lacoste, Sportmax, Alexander McQueen, Yves Saint Laurent, Elie Saab, Dolce & Gabbana, Gap, Bally Shoe, Bergdorf Goodman, Pringle of Scotland, Dior, Hermes, Oscar de la Renta, Sonia Rykiel, Aquascutum, Topshop, Eryn Brinie, Uniqlo, Omnia Jade, Lord & Taylor, Barneys New York, American Eagle, and Victoria's Secret PINK. Kloss is the face of the Marc Jacobs fragrance Lola. She has walked for numerous designers in New York, London, Milan and Paris, including Shiatzy Chen, Calvin Klein, Karl Lagerfeld, Marc Jacobs, Zac Posen, Givenchy, Gucci, Valentino, Louis Vuitton and Versace, Elie Saab and appeared in editorials for American and Korean W, American Elle, Allure, i-D, French and Japanese Numéro, Vanity Fair, Dazed & Confused, and American, Australian, Italian, French, British, Korean, German, Japanese, Chinese, Turkish, Portuguese, Teen, and Latin American Vogue magazines. Her covers include Italian Vogue in October 2009, January 2010, December 2011, and October 2014, Vogue Turkey, Vogue Portugal, Vogue China in March, August, and November in 2010, and in December 2012, British Vogue in September 2012, Vogue Korea and American Teen Vogue, alongside Chanel Iman and Ali Michael in February 2008 and by herself in May 2010.
She has ventured into TV when she appeared in Season Four, Episode 1 of Gossip Girl as herself. She became a muse for fashion designer John Galliano and has appeared in Dior and John Galliano campaigns and opened both shows, Christian Dior Haute Couture and Dior resort shows from spring/summer 2010. In the spring/summer 2011 Season, she opened ten shows and closed eight.
2011–present: Recognition and success
Her runway walk, one of the most unique, is often described as powerful. In February 2011, supermodel Tyra Banks stated that Kloss was one of her favorite models because of her "unique, atypical beauty".
In 2011 Kloss renewed her contract with Christian Dior for the third season in a row. LIFE Magazine photographed Kloss for the cover of a special print issue handed out during New York Fashion Week in September 2011. The photo story inside the issue was photographed during the summer of 2011 and shows Kloss at the couture shows in Paris, in New York City, and in Saint Louis, her hometown. The same year, she made her debut in the Victoria's Secret Fashion Show.
In 2012 Kloss was featured on the September covers of British Vogue, Japanese Vogue, Harper's Bazaar Russia, and Numéro. She appeared in the campaign ads of Juicy Couture, Stefanel, Elie Saab, and Jean Paul Gaultier. She co-hosted with the revival of the MTV series House of Style with fellow model Joan Smalls. She also appeared in that year's Victoria's Secret Fashion Show. Just before the Victoria's Secret Fashion in 2012, Karlie cut her long hair into a bob which is famously called the "Karlie." 
In 2013, Kloss was the face of Donna Karan, Lacoste, and Lanvin campaigns. Kloss worked with Victoria's Secret on their 2013 summer swimwear video. She was also the red carpet host of the 2013 MTV Movie Awards pre-show. In April, Kloss starred alongside Daria Strokous, Monika Jagaciak and Iris Strubegger in Louis Vuitton's Alma bag campaign.
In 2013, Kloss was named as one of the new ambassadors for Coach, Inc. and stars in the accessory maker's Fall 2013 campaign.
In 2014, she was the face of Jean Paul Gaultier, Nike, Donna Karan, Lancaster, Chanel Coco Noir Fragrance campaigns. She also collaborated with Frame Denim to design the Forever Karlie jeans collection. In summer 2014, Karlie worked with Warby Parker to design the Karlie Kloss x Warby Parker eyewear line, proceeds of which benefited Edible Schoolyard NYC. In September 2014, after many speculations, L'Oreal Paris officially announced that they have signed Karlie to be the newest face. In the September 2014 issue of American Vogue, she was featured on the cover with Joan Smalls, Cara Delevingne, Arizona Muse, Edie Campbell, Imaan Hammam, Fei Fei Sun, Vanessa Axente and Andreea Diaconu as "The Instagirls!"
In 2015, Kloss and one of her best friends, Taylor Swift, covered the March issue of American Vogue together. Kloss also starred in the music video for Chic's "I'll Be There", which was directed by Inez van Lamsweerde and Vinoodh Matadin. Kloss also portrayed the role of "Knockout" in the music video for Swift's song "Bad Blood" which premiered at the 2015 Billboard Music Awards.
She appeared in several video segments during Taylor Swift's 1989 World Tour  and appeared live on stage with Swift at the performance of June 27, 2015 at London's Hyde Park, as well as on July 11, 2015, at the MetLife Stadium in East Rutherford, New Jersey.
Her hobbies include baking cookies, biking, and ballet. In collaboration with Momofuku Milk Bar, she created a special recipe called Karlie's Kookies, which she sold in DKNY Soho during Fashion's Night Out in New York City, with proceeds benefiting hungry children around the world (through FEED Projects). She calls it a "Perfect 10 Kookie", because for every tin of cookies that are sold, 10 meals will be donated to starving children all over the world.
Kloss is a close friend of Taylor Swift, and appeared in the singer's music video for the single "Bad Blood" in May 2015. She is also the godmother of model Jourdan Dunn's son. She has been dating American businessman and investor Joshua Kushner since 2012.
On July 21, 2015, Karlie started her own YouTube channel featuring weekly vlogs and Q&A videos.
- Cowles, Charlotte (June 18, 2012). "Exclusive First Look: Joan Smalls and Karlie Kloss Cover July W". NY Mag. New York Media, LLC. Retrieved November 30, 2012.
- "Karlie Kloss". Fashion Model Directory. 2012. Retrieved November 9, 2012.
- "Karlie Kloss signs with IMG Models". IMG Models. September 5, 2012. Retrieved November 9, 2012.
- "Biography". models.com. November 2012. Retrieved November 9, 2012.
- "Les 30 mannequins des années 2000". Vogue Paris (in French). Condé Nast Publications. December 18, 2009. Retrieved January 20, 2010.
- "Supermodel: Karlie Kloss". vsallaccess.victoriassecret.com. Victoria's Secret. Retrieved January 14, 2014.
- Business Insider
- Gerber Chapel. "Florence A. Fares". memorialsolutions.com. Memorial Solutions. Retrieved January 14, 2014.
- Blasberg, Derek (February 16, 2013). "The Klosses". Wall Street Journal. Retrieved January 14, 2014.
- "Model Profile". New York Magazine. September 2012. Retrieved July 20, 2008.
- Garvey, Marianne (July 12, 2011). "Five Things to Know About Joe Jonas' New Cuddle Partner Karlie Kloss". E! Online. Retrieved July 12, 2011.
- "Karlie". Teen Vogue. September 17, 2007. Retrieved July 20, 2008.
- Peterson, Deb (May 4, 2011). "Top fashion model Karlie Kloss goes to the Webster Groves High School prom". St. Louis Post-Dispatch (Kevin Mowbray). Retrieved September 30, 2012.
- Scene Magazine, June 2006
- "Karlie Kloss Is Fashion Week's Top Model". New York Magazine. February 11, 2008. Retrieved July 12, 2011.
- "Model shop loses star, sues". New York Post (News Corporation). April 18, 2008. Retrieved July 20, 2008.[dead link]
- Kruspe, Dana (September 5, 2012). "Karlie Kloss Signs with IMG S[plits with Next and Mother Model Management". Fashionista.com.
- Rosen, Christopher (September 10, 2010). "Model Karlie Kloss to Cameo on Gossip Girl". wetpaint.com. Wetpaint Entertainment. Retrieved January 14, 2014.
- "Video of Teen Vogue cover shoot". Teen Vogue. June 26, 2008.[dead link]
- Kaufman, Sarah (February 15, 2011). "At 18, model Karlie Kloss conquers the runways at New York's Fashion Week". The Washington Post. Retrieved November 9, 2012.
- Banks, Tyra (February 2011). "Tyra Banks". Twitter. Retrieved November 9, 2011.
- Lim, James (January 4, 2011). "See the New Spring Campaigns for Dior, Prada, Versace, Gucci, and More". New York Magazine. Retrieved February 18, 2011.
- "Karlie Kloss: A Photo Essay for Life Magazine". stylecaster.com. Stylecaster Media Group. September 12, 2011. Retrieved January 14, 2014.
- Krupnick, Ellie (November 14, 2011). "Karlie Kloss Covers Special Edition Of LIFE (PHOTOS)". huffingtonpost.com (The Huffington Post). Retrieved January 14, 2014.
- "Model Portrait: Karlie Kloss". wmagazine.com. W Magazine. September 1, 2011. Retrieved January 14, 2014.
- Chernikoff, Leah (November 10, 2011). "The Top 10 Moments from the 2011 Victoria's Secret Fashion Show: From Jay-Z's Surprise Performance to Karlie Kloss' Debut". www.fashionista.com. Retrieved November 23, 2012.
- "Harper's Bazaar Russia September 2012 Cover". Models.com. Retrieved January 14, 2014.
- Robson, Sarah (August 27, 2012). "Karlie Kloss for Harper’s Bazaar Russia September 2012 is Play". trendhunter.com. Trend Hunter. Retrieved January 14, 2014.
- "Victoria's Secret News". The Daily Telegraph (London). August 20, 2012.
- "Karlie Kloss for Stefanel". The Irish Times. August 7, 2012.
- New York Magazine
- New York Magazine
- Gonzalez, Sandra (July 24, 2012). "MTV bringing back 'House of Style'". InsideTV. Entertainment Weekly. Retrieved November 23, 2012.
- Carpenter, Cassie (November 12, 2012). "Victoria's Secret apologises for Karlie Kloss' controversial Native American costume and edits look out of TV broadcast". Daily Mail (London: Associated Newspapers Ltd). Retrieved November 23, 2012.
- Meltzer, Marisa (January 17, 2013). "The 'Karlie' Is Turning Heads". The New York Times.
- Jones, Toni (January 30, 2013). "Victoria's Secret girls Candice Swanepoel, Karlie Kloss and co. perform a cringey lip sync in their latest video ... but it's ok because they are all wearing BIKINIS!". Daily Mail (London: Associated Newspapers Ltd). Retrieved March 4, 2013.
- "Karlie Kloss' MTV Movie Awards Red-Carpet Gig, In Her Own Words". MTV.com. April 15, 2013. Retrieved April 30, 2013.
- Socha, Miles. "Louis Vuitton Launching Campaign for Alma Bag" (April 1, 2013). Retrieved January 14, 2014.
- George-Parkin, Hilary (April 1, 2013). "PHOTOS: Louis Vuitton Nods To NYC Taxis In New Ad". Styleite.com. Styelite. Retrieved January 14, 2014.
- "Kloss proud of Coach campaign". sg.news.yahoo.com. Cover Media. December 13, 2013. Retrieved January 14, 2014.
- "Karlie is Chanel's New Face". The Daily Mail (London). August 13, 2014.
- Brannigan, Maura. "Start 'Smizing'—Karlie Kloss Is Designing Sunglasses For Warby Parker!". Lucky Magazine. Retrieved June 30, 2014.
- "Karlie Kloss New Face of Loreal Paris". Style.
- "Watch Nile Rodgers and Karlie Kloss Bring Disco Back in Chic's New Video 'I'll Be There'". Billboard. Billboard. March 20, 2015. Retrieved March 25, 2015.
- "Meet the A-List Cast Starring in Taylor Swift's New Music Video". Retrieved May 18, 2015.
- "Taylor Swift Debuts Futuristic Neo Noir Bad Blood Video". Rolling Stone. May 17, 2015.
- "Taylor Swift’s 1989 World Tour: Everything You Need to Know". Santa Monica, California: Dick Clark Productions. May 6, 2015.
- Linder, Emilee (May 5, 2015). "Taylor Swift’s 1989 World Tour: A Track By Track Breakdown". New York, Ny: MTV News / Viacom.
- Iasimone, Ashley (June 27, 2015). "Taylor Swift's '1989' Tour: Kendall Jenner, Cara Delevingne & More Join Her for 'Style' in London". New York City: Billboard.com.
Karlie Kloss...joined Swift onstage in Hyde Park, a stop on the pop superstar’s 1989 World Tour.
- "Karlie's Kookies: A Perfect 10". www.style.com. September 5, 2012. Retrieved November 12, 2012.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Karlie Kloss.|
- Karlie Kloss at the Fashion Model Directory
- Karlie Kloss at the Internet Movie Database
- Karlie Kloss on Facebook
- Karlie Kloss on Twitter
- Riverfront Times article