Karlina Leksono Supelli
This article includes a list of references, related reading or external links, but its sources remain unclear because it lacks inline citations. (April 2009) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
Karlina Leksono Supelli (born in Jakarta 15 January 1958) is an Indonesian philosopher and astronomer. One of Indonesia's first female astronomers, she obtained her MSc in Space Science from the University College London, but switched to philosophy and her completed her doctorate at Universitas Indonesia in 1997.
She has also been known to participate in humanitarian activities during Indonesia's 1998 Reformation. Under the leadership of Karlina Supelli, in February 1998 a group of concerned mothers held a demonstration in front of the HI (Hotel Indonesia). As a result, she was arrested with two other women, Gadis Arivia and Wilasih Noviana.
A feminist, Karlina also took part in revealing and defending the rights of victims of the Indonesian riots of May 1998, when hundreds of Chinese Indonesian women were raped in Jakarta. She went to the USA to persuade the US government to stop their export of weapons into Indonesia, resulting in death threats because of her activities. However, she was not deterred. She was also active in defending the rights of the Acehnese and East Timorese women who have been raped by members of the Indonesian army.
Karlina has lectured philosophy and astronomy in several Indonesian universities. Her writings have been published in journals in both Indonesia and abroad. She is now a lecturer in Sekolah Tinggi Filsafat Driyarkara (Driyarkara High School of Philosophy), Jakarta.
- Supelli, Karlina Leksono
- Vanessa Johanson talks with Khofifah Indar Parawansa
- Indonesian Chinese Marginalized?
- Wawancara Karlina Leksono: "Kita Sudah Terlalu Lama Diam" at the Wayback Machine (archived March 8, 2012)
- Problematizing the Place of Victims in Reformasi Indonesia: A Contested Truth about the May 1998 Violence
- Gendered citizens in the new Indonesian democracy
- Cohen, Matthew Isaac (6 March 2002). "Indonesia. Television, Nation, and Culture in Indonesia. By PHILIP KITLEY. Athens: Ohio University Center for International Studies, 2000. Pp. xviii, 411. Illustrations, Tables, Bibliography, Index". Journal of Southeast Asian Studies. 33 (01). doi:10.1017/S0022463402290086.
- Better Protection Of Rapes Investigators Needed