July 1, 1985 |
(now Czech Republic)
|Other names||The Terminator|
|Height||6 ft 0 in (1.83 m)|
|Weight||186 lb (84 kg; 13.3 st)|
Light Heavyweight (2010–present)
|Fighting out of||London, England|
|Mixed martial arts record|
|Mixed martial arts record from Sherdog|
Karel "Karlos" Vémola (born July 1, 1985) is a Czech professional mixed martial artist, former bodybuilder, wrestler and member of Sokol. A professional competitor since 2008, Vemola is the current UCMMA Middleweight Champion, Gladiator Championship Fighting Middleweight Champion, Czech MMA Association Middleweight Champion and has also competed for the UFC.
- 1 Background
- 2 Mixed martial arts career
- 3 Championships and accomplishments
- 4 Mixed martial arts record
- 5 Personal life
- 6 Media appearances
- 7 References
- 8 External links
Karlos Vémola is a four-time Czech Republic National Youth Greco-Roman Wrestling Champion, one-time Czech Republic Youth National Freestyle Wrestling Champion and also one-time winner of the Czech Republic Wrestling Team Championship as a youth team member of the Krnov wrestling team.
After his parents divorced he moved with his mother from Hanakia to the Bohemia. He resided in the Litice nad Orlicí and he started to train in the gym in Žamberk and he became a classic bodybuilder.
Mixed martial arts career
Early MMA and Bodybuilding career
At a qualification tournament for British Championship of Bodybuilding he attempted to compete in the Junior Division but because he registered too late he had to compete in the Senior Division which he ended up winning. Because of this victory he was not allowed to compete at the Junior level of the championship so he refused to participate.
While working at his job as a bouncer he threw two men out of the nightclub who turned out to be MMA fighters. This led to his being asked by Alan Mortlock to fight in the Cage Fighters mixed martial arts organization. Karlos Vemola began unofficial and underground fighting at age of 21. Vemola made his professional MMA debut in 2008. Previously he fought in various street fights and underground fighting events.
Vemola won his first seven professional fights all via opening round stoppages in fights held in England by the Cage Fighters Championships and Ultimate Challenge MMA organizations. In the Cage Fighters Championship Karlos Vemola was the European Heavyweight Champion and World Heavyweight Champion.
Ultimate Fighting Championship
Following his first professional loss, Vemola decided to drop down to the Light Heavyweight division. He faced Seth Petruzelli on November 13, 2010 at UFC 122 and won the fight via TKO in the first round, picking up his first victory in the UFC, becoming the first man to defeat Petruzelli by strikes, and also earning Knockout of the Night Honors.
Vemola was expected to face Stephan Bonnar on August 14, 2011 at UFC on Versus 5. However, an injury has forced Bonnar to withdraw from the bout. Newcomer Ronny Markes stepped in for the injured Bonnar to face Vemola. Vemola lost the fight via unanimous decision (30-27 on all cards).
Vemola was expected to face former WEC Middleweight Champion Chris Leben on December 29, 2012 at UFC 155. However, Vemola was forced out of the bout and replaced by promotional newcomer Derek Brunson.
Vemola faced Caio Magalhães on June 8, 2013 at UFC on Fuel TV 10. Despite a dominant first round, Vemola lost the fight via rear naked choke submission in the second round and was subsequently released from the promotion.
Ultimate Challenge MMA
In his first fight after being released by the UFC, Karlos Vemola won the UCMMA Middleweight Champion by defeating then-champion Denniston Sutherland via unanimous decision on August 3, 2013.
Vemola was to fight against Mahmoud "Steel Man" Salama on February 1, 2014 at UCMMA 38. However, Salama announced that he was withdrawing from his fight against Vemola and replaced by Marvin Campbell. But Campbell did not attend the official Weigh-In and he weighed shortly before the start of the event. It should be a light heavyweight bout but Campbell weighed 215 lb. Vemola defeated Campbell in the first round via submission.
Return to the Czech Republic
After he became UCMMA champion, Vemola decided he should fight in his homeland.
Karlos Vemola signed a contract for two fights with Czech MMA Association and for one fight with Gladiator Championship Fighting. One of the owners of GCF is famous Czech mixed martial artist Michal Hamršmíd.
Czech MMA artist and trainer Petr "Monster" Kníže insulted Karlos Vemola on social network and called him out. Some parts of Kníže martial arts career are unknown and his official MMA record by Sherdog is 3-0 (before fight with Karlos Vemola) but Czech MMA Association promoted his record as 21-0. Karlos Vemola accepted and both would face on November 10, 2013 at MMMA Arena 2 for middleweight title. Vemola won in third round by technical submission.
His next fight was in Prague. He fought longtime GCF Middleweight Champion Tomáš "Thor" Kužela for the GFC Middleweight Championship on December 7, 2013 at GCF 26: Fight Night. Vemola won in the first round by submission.
Championships and accomplishments
- Ultimate Fighting Championship
- Knockout of the Night (One time)
- Cage Fighters Championship
- Cage Fighters Championship World Heavyweight Champion (One time)
- Cage Fighters Championship European Heavyweight Champion (One time)
- Ultimate Challenge MMA
- Ultimate Challenge MMA Middleweight Champion
- Ultimate Challenge MMA Light Heavyweight Champion
- Gladiator Championship Fighting
- Gladiator Championship Fighting Middleweight Champion
- Czech MMA Association
- Czech MMA Association Middleweight Champion
Mixed martial arts record
|Professional record breakdown|
|22 matches||17 wins||5 losses|
|Win||17–5||Dritan Barjamaj||TKO (elbows)||Night of Warriors 10||November 5, 2016||1||1:43||Liberec, Czech Republic|
|Loss||16–5||Jack Hermansson||Submission (armbar)||Warrior Fight Series 4||August 2, 2015||1||2:06||London, England||For the Warrior Fight Series Middleweight Championship|
|Win||16–4||David Marcina||Submission (north-south choke)||Fusion: First Class Fight Night Series 1||May 16, 2015||1||1:36||Pardubice, Bohemia, Czech Republic|
|Win||15–4||Carl Kinslow||Submission (north-south choke)||UCMMA 43||May 2, 2015||1||1:16||London, England||Won UCMMA Light Heavyweight Championship.|
|Win||14–4||Piotr Strus||Decision (unanimous)||MMAA Arena 3||March 7, 2014||3||5:00||Hradec Králové, Bohemia, Czech Republic||Defended Czech MMAA Middleweight Championship.|
|Win||13–4||Marvin Campbell||Submission (kimura)||UCMMA 38||February 1, 2014||1||1:36||London, England||Light Heavyweight bout, Campbell weighed 215 lb|
|Win||12–4||Tomáš Kužela||Submission (rear-naked choke)||GCF 26: Fight Night||December 7, 2013||1||4:11||Prague, Bohemia, Czech Republic||Won GCF Middleweight Championship.|
|Win||11–4||Petr Kníže||Technical Submission (north-south choke)||MMAA Arena 2||November 10, 2013||3||3:23||Prague, Bohemia, Czech Republic||Won Czech MMAA Middleweight Championship.|
|Win||10–4||Denniston Sutherland||Decision (unanimous)||UCMMA 35||August 3, 2013||3||5:00||London, England||Won UCMMA Middleweight Championship.|
|Loss||9–4||Caio Magalhães||Submission (rear-naked choke)||UFC on Fuel TV: Nogueira vs. Werdum||June 8, 2013||2||2:49||Fortaleza, Ceará, Brazil|
|Loss||9–3||Francis Carmont||Submission (rear-naked choke)||UFC on Fuel TV: Munoz vs. Weidman||July 11, 2012||2||1:39||San Jose, California, United States|
|Win||9–2||Mike Massenzio||Submission (rear-naked choke)||UFC on Fox: Diaz vs. Miller||May 5, 2012||2||1:07||East Rutherford, New Jersey, United States||Middleweight debut.|
|Loss||8–2||Ronny Markes||Decision (unanimous)||UFC Live: Hardy vs. Lytle||August 14, 2011||3||5:00||Milwaukee, Wisconsin, United States|
|Win||8–1||Seth Petruzelli||TKO (punches)||UFC 122||November 13, 2010||1||3:46||Oberhausen, Germany||Light Heavyweight debut, "Knockout of the Night."|
|Loss||7–1||Jon Madsen||Decision (unanimous)||UFC 116||July 3, 2010||3||5:00||Las Vegas, Nevada, United States|
|Win||7–0||Peter Yendall||KO (punches)||UCMMA 10: Resurrection||February 6, 2010||1||0:49||London, England|
|Win||6–0||Stav Economou||Submission (rear-naked choke)||Cage Fighters Championship 7||July 4, 2009||1||1:57||Purfleet, Essex, England||Won CFC World Heavyweight Championship, Defended CFC European Heavyweight Championship.|
|Win||5–0||Ashley Pollard||Technical Submission (rear-naked choke)||Cage Fighters Championship 6||April 25, 2009||1||0:36||Purfleet, Essex, England||Defended CFC European Heavyweight Championship.|
|Win||4–0||Markus Hipp||TKO (punches)||Cage Fighters Championship 5||March 7, 2009||1||0:15||Brentwood, Essex, England||Won CFC European Heavyweight Championship|
|Win||3–0||Szilvester Silbont||Submission (rear-naked choke)||Cage Fighters Championship 4||October 25, 2008||1||3:14||Brentwood, Essex, England|
|Win||2–0||Bill Georgitsis||TKO (punches)||Cage Fighters Championship 3||May 18, 2008||1||0:05||Rochester, Kent, England|
|Win||1–0||Patric Carroll||Submission (rear-naked choke)||Cage Fighters Championship 2||February 24, 2008||1||0:44||Purfleet, Essex, England|
Vémola and his wife have two children.
- "Karlos Vémola - TERMINÁTOR z Hodolan :: SOKOL Olomouc". Sokololomouc.cz. 2009-07-20. Retrieved 2016-10-01.
- "Terminátor z Česka: Pral se na ulici, teď se rve o miliony! | iSport.cz". Isport.blesk.cz. Retrieved 2016-10-01.
- "Karlos Vémola: Stačí, když občas někomu namlátím, a dostanu za to zaplaceno. (I.)". Powerlifting.ronnie.cz. Retrieved 2016-10-01.
- [dead link]
- Video on YouTube
- Video on YouTube
- [dead link]
- "UFC signs Czech heavyweight Karlos Vemola to face Jon Madsen at UFC 116". MMAjunkie.
- "Karlos Vemola drops to 205, meets Seth Petruzelli at UFC 122". MMAJunkie.com. 2010-09-04.
- "Cane-Vemola Slated for UFC 128". sherdog.com. December 29, 2010.
- "Karlos Vemola out, Luiz Cane without opponent for UFC 128". Mmajunkie.com. February 22, 2011.
- "Eliot Marshall returns, steps in to meet Luiz Cane at UFC 128". mmajunkie.com. February 23, 2010.
- "Stephan Bonnar vs. Karlos Vemola targeted for UFC on Versus 5". mmajunkie.com. May 10, 2011.
- "Ronny Markes replaces injured Stephan Bonnar at UFC on Versus 5". mmainterplay.com. June 17, 2011.
- "UFC on Versus 5 Play-by-Play: Karlos Vemola vs. Ronny Markes". MMAweekly.com. 2011-08-14.
- "Ryan Jimmo vs. Karlos Vemola added to UFC on FX 1". mmajunkie.com. November 29, 2011.
- "Jimmo UFC Debut Postponed". topmmanews.com. January 13, 2012.
- "Karlos Vemola vs. Mike Massenzio added to UFC on FOX 3 in New Jersey". mmajunkie.com. February 2, 2012.
- Erickson, Matt (2012-09-12). "Chris Leben returns in December, meets Karlos Vemola at UFC 155 in Las Vegas". MMAjunkie.com. Retrieved 2012-09-12.
- "Karlos Vemola out at UFC 155, Strikeforce vet Derek Brunson meets Chris Leben". mmajunkie.com. December 18, 2012.
- "Karlos Vemola and Caio Magalhaes agree to meeting at UFC on FUEL TV 10". mmamania.com. March 11, 2013.
- [dead link]
- "Parkovaná doména fightnews.cz". Fightnews.cz. Retrieved 1 October 2016.
- "Petr Knize MMA Stats, Pictures, News, Videos, Biography". Sherdog.com. Retrieved 2016-10-01.
- ""Monstr" Kníže vs "Terminátor" Vémola - informace o dlouho očekáváném zápase! | Aktin.cz | internetový magazín o sportu, fitness, zdraví a výživě". Aktin.cz. Retrieved 2016-10-01.
- Jméno * (2014-06-20). "» MMA: Zkušenosti z UFC mají svou váhu". Fighternews.cz. Retrieved 2016-10-01.
- "Karlos Vémola vs. Petr Kníže - jak vidí zápas odborníci?". ExtraRound.cz. Retrieved 2016-10-01.
- "Monstrum ho vyzvalo přes net. Pošlu tě do důchodu, vzkazuje Vémola | iSport.cz". Isport.blesk.cz. Retrieved 2016-10-01.
- "Terminátor Vémola je jako houba: Zhubnu 22 kilo, pak je nasáknu zpět! | iSport.cz". Isport.blesk.cz. Retrieved 2016-10-01.
- "Nejtvrdší sport na světě MMA bude slavit svůj svátek v prosinci v Praze!". FANDA. 2013-11-14. Retrieved 2016-10-01.
- "Amatérská liga 2016/17 - MMAA". Mmaa.cz. Retrieved 2016-10-01.
- "Karlos Vemola". Retrieved 1 October 2016.