|Produced by||V. Ramesh|
|Written by||J. Ramesh (dialogues)|
|Story by||Arjun Sarja|
|Cinematography||K. S. Selvaraj|
|Edited by||P. Venkateswara Rao|
Vijaya Madhavi Combines
|14 April 1995|
Karnaa is a 1995 Tamil language action film directed by Selva. The film features Arjun Sarja, Ranjitha and Vineetha in lead roles. The film was released on 14 April 1995 and was declared a super hit at the box office.
Vijay (Arjun Sarja), a carefree and frolicsome youth, is sent by his father Deenadayalan (Ravichandran) in Ooty to work and becoming a responsible businessman. There, he falls in love with the college student Anjali (Vineetha). Her brothers (Mohan Raj and Vimalraj) are dangerous criminals and they are against their love from the fact that Vijay's father is a police officer. Thereafter, Devaraj is sent to jail so his brother appoints the lawyer Karnaa (Arjun Sarja), who is disabled and very sensitive.
Later, Karnaa falls in love with the schoolteacher Amudha (Ranjitha), after few quarrels among them. One day, Deenadayalan sees Karnaa at the court who is identical to his son Vijay. In the past, Deenadayalan had twin boys but abandoned one of the twin babies because he was disabled. Karnaa is upset when he learns the truth and is now determined to win the case in front of his father. He ultimately wins the case and Devaraj is eventually released. Thereafter, Deenadayalan discloses the truth to his wife Lakshmi, who wants to bring back her son Karnaa at any cost.
Meanwhile, Vijay is arrested by the police because of Devaraj's conspiracy. Karnaa rejects his parents' pleas and finds it outrageous to abandon a baby due to his handicap. Then, Karnaa promises to help Vijay, but he advises Vijay to escape from the jail. In the meantime, Devaraj shows his secret illegal business to Karnaa and Vijay takes some photos of his factory. Afterwards, Devaraj's goons kidnap their parents, Karnaa's adopted mother and Amudha. Vijay and Karnaa finally save them and send Devaraj to jail.
- Arjun Sarja as Vijay and Karnaa
- Ranjitha as Amudha
- Vineetha as Anjali
- Goundamani as Khalnayak
- Ravichandran as Vijay and Karnaa's father
- Major Sundararajan as Advocate
- Sujatha as Lakshmi, Vijay and Karnaa's mother
- Sathyapriya as Karnaa's adopted mother
- Mohan Raj as Devaraj
- Vimalraj as Devaraj's brother
- Kitty as Karnaa's foster father
- C. R. Saraswathi as Manikkam's wife
- Vasuki as Vatsala teacher
- Lalitha Kumari as Chellamma
- Radha Bhai
- Kallapart Natarajan
- Idichapuli Selvaraj as Chellamma's father
- Krishnamoorthy as Manikkam
- T. K. S. Natarajan as Pimp
- Prasanna Kumar as Advocate
- Sakthivel as Henchman
- Vijay Ganesh as Henchman
- Yuvarani in a special appearance
- Rani in a special appearance
- Madhusudhan Rao as city officer murdered by villain
|Soundtrack album by|
|Genre||Feature film soundtrack|
The film score and the soundtrack were composed by Vidyasagar. The soundtrack, released in 1995, features 6 tracks with lyrics written by Vairamuthu. The song Malare Mounama is set in Darbari Kanada raga. "Aai Shabba" is based on the song "Chebba" by Algerian singer Khaled.
|1||'Aai Shabba'||Mano, Swarnalatha||4:27|
|3||'Hello Miss Chellama'||Chetan, Swarnalatha, Arjun Sarja||5:17|
|4||'Kannile Kannile'||Mano, Sindhu||4:06|
|5||'Malare Mounama'||S. P. Balasubrahmanyam, S. Janaki||5:05|
|6||'Putham Pudhu Desam'||S. P. Balasubrahmanyam, S. Janaki||5:30|
New Straits Times wrote "Karna turns out to be a neat package of sentiment, love, action and songs".
- "Find Tamil Movie Karna". jointscene.com. Archived from the original on 4 November 2010. Retrieved 28 June 2014.
- "Filmography of karna". cinesouth.com. Archived from the original on 3 October 2012. Retrieved 28 June 2014.
- "Tamil Movie News--1995 Review". groups.google.com. 9 January 1996. Retrieved 26 July 2012.
- "Karna". hummaa.com. Retrieved 30 October 2011.
- "Karna Songs". raaga.com. Retrieved 28 June 2014.
- Mani, Charulatha (8 June 2012). "A Raga's Journey — Dynamic Durbarikaanada". The Hindu. ISSN 0971-751X. Retrieved 1 March 2019.