Karnack is served by the Karnack Independent School District. Karnack Elementary School and Karnack Junior/Senior High School serve the community.
Karnack has many small family-owned businesses such as Fyffe’s Corner Grocery next to the Caddo Lake State Park Entrance, Fyffe’s Bed and Breakfast, 4J Ranch, Circle S Grocery, Mystique Tours and The Run In. Big Pines Lodge burned down in a construction fire in 2009; reconstruction of the lodge and its restaurant began late in 2010, and it has since reopened.
Karnack is situated on the shores of Caddo Lake, the only natural lake in the state of Texas. The lake is a bayou, known for its beautiful scenery and great fishing. The community of Karnack is deep in the pine woods of Northeast Texas and is mostly farm and timber land.
According to the Handbook of Texas, Caddo Lake was one of the largest natural lakes in Texas before the construction of Caddo Dam. It is known as Texas' only natural lake, though small natural lakes abound throughout much of Texas.
The climate in this area is characterized by hot, humid summers and generally mild to cool winters. According to the Köppen Climate Classification system, Karnack has a humid subtropical climate, abbreviated "Cfa" on climate maps.
- Caro, Robert A. (1982). The Path to Power. The Years of Lyndon Johnson. New York: Alfred A. Knopf, Inc. p. 295. ISBN 0394499735.
- Caro 1982, p. 294 et seq.
- Richardson, Terri (October 3, 2010). "Big Pines Lodge is rebuilding". Longview News-Journal. Longview, Texas. Retrieved 2013-02-05.
- Climate Summary for Karnack, Texas
- Karnack, Texas from the Handbook of Texas Online
- Longhorn Army Ammunition Plant from the Handbook of Texas Online
- U.S. Geological Survey Geographic Names Information System: Karnack, Texas