Location of Karnal district in Haryana
|Tehsils||1. Karnal, 2. Nilokheri, 3. Indri, 4. Gharaunda, 5. Assandh|
|• Lok Sabha constituencies||Karnal (shared with Panipat district)|
|• Assembly seats||5|
|• Total||1,967 km2 (759 sq mi)|
|• Density||770/km2 (2,000/sq mi)|
|• Sex ratio||887|
Karnal district is one of the 22 districts of Haryana state in northern India. Karnal town is the administrative headquarters of the district. It is one of the 22 Districts which constitutes the National Capital Region (NCR) of India.
According to the 2011 census Karnal district has a population of 1,506,323, roughly equal to the nation of Gabon or the US state of Hawaii. This gives it a ranking of 333rd in India (out of a total of 640). The district has a population density of 598 inhabitants per square kilometre (1,550/sq mi) . Its population growth rate over the decade 2001-2011 was 18.22%. Karnal has a sex ratio of 996 females for every 1,000 males, and a literacy rate of 74.73%. Hindi and Punjabi are dominant languages spoken across the district.
People from Karnal District
- Kalpana Chawla, first Indo-American woman astronaut. In 2003, Chawla was one of the seven crew members that died in the Space Shuttle Columbia disaster
- Nawabzada Liaquat Ali Khan, first Prime Minister of Pakistan.
- Vikramjeet Virk, Indian actor.
- "District Census 2011". Census2011.co.in. 2011. Retrieved 2011-09-30.
- US Directorate of Intelligence. "Country Comparison:Population". Retrieved 2011-10-01.
- "2010 Resident Population Data". U. S. Census Bureau. Archived from the original on 1 January 2011. Retrieved 2011-09-30.
- "Only 98 cities instead of 100 announced: All questions answered about the smart cities project". 28 August 2015.
|Wikisource has the text of the 1911 Encyclopædia Britannica article Karnal.|