This article needs additional citations for verification. (December 2011)
|Vice-Chancellor||Dr. Sharanappa V. Halse|
|Anjana Murthy, 1996–1999|
|N. S. Ramegowda, 1999–2003|
|K. Sudha Rao, 2003–2007|
|B. A. Viveka Rai, 2007–2009|
|K. S. Rangappa, 2009–2012|
|D. Shivalingaiah, 2016–2019|
|Dr. S Vidyashankar 2019–present|
De-recognition and re-recognition
UGC de-recognized several courses of KSOU with effect from 2012-13. The university was de-recognized in 2015 after it was found violating several norms of UGC and DEC, IGNOU. The university had violated the norms related to territorial jurisdiction by establishing study centres across India and also offered admission to courses within India and abroad in violation of regulations. Even after a show cause notice was issued, it continued this practice. Thousands of students were jeopardized by the de-recognition leading to protests by students and petitions to the Karnataka High Court/Supreme Court (Supreme Court Case No.001037 or Diary No.31227 filled on August 21, 2018). After several initiatives by KSOU, the Government of Karnataka and the direction of the high court, 17 courses of KSOU were granted recognition from 2018 onwards. However, lives of earlier students remain in limbo without degrees, though a bridge course and a test is likely to be conducted. In 2018 UGC gave programme-level recognition from 2018-19 to 2022-23 via UGC order F.No. 1-6/2018 (DEB-I) dated 03-10-2018 for B.A.,B.Com.B.L.I.sc.,M.L.ISc.,M.A., M.Com.,M.Sc.
Non-issuance of degree through Distance mode from Karnataka State Open University
It has been informed by UGC order F.No.7-1(KSOU)/2022(DEB-III) dated 16-08-2022 Page - 02 Point : 04 for Non-issuance of degree through Distance mode from Karnataka State Open University that The Open and Distance programmes of KSOU were recognized only up to 2012-13 by erstwhile DEC, IGNOU. No further recognition was given to the University till 2017-18. Thereafter it has been granted recognition for the ODL programmes for the period 2018-19 to 2022-23(upto January, 2023 only). Further, the University has only been directed to issue degree/certificates as per the period of recognition, Territorial Jurisdiction and directions issued from time to time by this office.
- "K'taka Open Univ re-recognised for 5 yrs – but what about degrees for older students?". 12 August 2018.
- "First lady V-C for open varsity". The Times of India. 27 June 2003. Archived from the original on 14 December 2012.
- "KSOU to help more rural students". The Hindu. 27 June 2003. Archived from the original on 9 July 2012.
- "Vivek Rai is KSOU Vice-Chancellor". The Hindu. 28 June 2007. Archived from the original on 10 June 2009.
- "Rangappa is KSOU V-C". The Times of India. 13 December 2009. Archived from the original on 1 July 2012.
- "Krishnan is KSOU Vice-Chancellor". The Hindu. 1 February 2013.
- "Shivaligaiah is KSOU Vice-Chancellor". The Hindu. 12 March 2016.
- "Karnataka Open University Re-recognised after 5 years. What About Degrees Older Students". www.thenewsminute.com. 12 August 2018. Retrieved 20 March 2019.
- "Finally, UGC grants recognition to 17 courses offered by KSOU". Star of Mysore. 10 August 2018. Retrieved 20 March 2019.