Karni border crossing attack
|Karni border crossing attack|
|Part of the Second Intifada militancy campaign|
|Location||Karni Crossing, Southern District, Israel|
|Date||January 13, 2005
Circa 22:45 pm (GMT+2)
|Weapons||200 pound Explosive device, hand grenades, AK-47 rifles|
|Deaths||6 (+ 3 attackers)|
|Perpetrators||Hamas, the Al Aqsa Martyrs Brigades and the Popular Resistance Committees claimed joint responsibility|
The Karni border crossing attack was a suicide bombing which occurred on January 13, 2005 at the pedestrian/cargo terminal Karni Crossing located on the Israeli Gaza Strip barrier. Six Israeli civilians were killed in the attack and five Israelis were injured in the attack.
On Thursday, 13 January 2005, at around 22:45 pm, a squad of three Palestinians militants armed with AK-47s and hand grenades, parked a truck loaded with a 200-pound explosive device, on the Palestinian side of the fence near an iron door that separates the Israeli and Palestinian sides at the Karni Crossing checkpoint. At 22:45 pm the squad detonated the explosives which created a hole through the iron door. Immediately afterwards the militants penetrated into the Israeli side of the Karni crossing through the hole in the iron door. The militant squad threw grenades and fired their assault weapons at the Israeli civilians on the site.
During the attack the Palestinian militant squad managed to kill 6 Israeli civilians (truck drivers and workers of the Port Authority) and in addition managed to injure five Israeli civilians.
The following exchange of fire between the Israeli soldiers stationed at the site and the Palestinian militants resulted in the killing of all three attackers.
- Ibrahim Kahili, 46, of Umm al-Ghanam
- Ofer Tiri, 23, of Ashkelon
- Dror Gizri, 30, of Sderot
- Ivan Shmilov, 53, of Sderot
- Munam Abu Sabia, 33, of Dabburiya
- Herzl Shlomo, 51, of Sderot
After the attack, Abu Abir, a spokesman for the Popular Resistance Committees, stated to the press that "the attack is a continuation of the resistance".
- Involved parties
Israel: Israeli officials stated that "The prime minister has ordered suspension of all contacts with Palestinian Authority representatives and the closure of all Gaza terminals until real steps are taken against terrorist acts".
|Wikinews has related news: Suicide attack at Karni crossing between Gaza Strip, Israel|
- Terror attack at Karni Crossing - published at the Israeli Ministry of Foreign Affairs
- Suicide attack at Gaza Crossing - published on BBC News
- Inquiry: Karni attackers had false permits - published on Haaretz on January 16, 2005
- Large Bomb Kills Six Israelis at Gaza Checkpoint - published on the Washington Post on January 14, 2005
- Explosion kills six Israelis - published on The Age on January 15, 2005
- "After attack, Israel cuts Abbas contact". Retrieved 13 December 2014.
- "Terrorist attack at Karni crossing thwarted by IDF forces". GxMSDev. Retrieved 13 December 2014.
- "BBC NEWS - Middle East - Deadly attack rocks Gaza crossing". Retrieved 13 December 2014.
- Murdered on his birthday, Jerusalem Post
- Ofer Tiri
- Dror Gizri
- Ivan Shmilov
- Herzl Shlomo
- "Five dead, 10 wounded in Gaza attack". The New Zealand Herald. Reuters. January 14, 2005. Retrieved October 8, 2011.
- "CNN.com - Sharonsuspends contactswith Palestinian Authority - Jan 14, 2005". Retrieved 13 December 2014.
- "Sharon drops peace dialogue / He won't talk with Palestinian leader until those behind attack on Israelis are caught". SFGate. Retrieved 13 December 2014.