Karns Quality Foods
Karns Quality Foods, also known as Karns Prime & Fancy Food, is a privately owned supermarket chain in the Harrisburg metropolitan area of Pennsylvania. The company's corporate headquarters is in Mechanicsburg.
Karns Quality Foods was founded in 1959 by David Karns and has been operated continuously by the Karns family since then. Karns operates eight stores in central Pennsylvania: Lower Paxton Township, Lemoyne, Hampden Township, Boiling Springs, New Bloomfield, Middletown, Carlisle, and Hershey. The current CEO is the founder's son, D. Scott Karns.
The company was started as a butcher shop in New Cumberland, but the current format is a traditional grocery store with an emphasis on perishable items. Karns stores also have a selection of fresh local produce and fresh baked goods.
In September 2006, Karns Quality Foods acquired the remaining store locations of Fox's Markets, a grocery chain that was based in Dauphin County, Pennsylvania. The addition of Fox's locations in Middletown and Hershey gave Karns a total of eight stores.
The Central Penn Business Journal ranked Karns Quality Foods as the 35th largest privately held corporation in central Pennsylvania in 2013. In 2009, it was ranked one of the 10 largest privately held companies in Cumberland County.
- Record Details: Karns Prime & Fancy Food Ltd., Central Penn Business Journal website, accessed September 5, 2010
- Store Locator, Karns Quality Foods website
- Top 100: Cumberland County: Tops share success stories, Central Penn Business Journal, Thursday, August 6, 2009
- Eric Veronikis, Fox's Foods to sell stores to Karns, Central Penn Business Journal, Friday, August 25, 2006
- Central Penn Business Journal, url=http://www.cpbj.com/section/listcentral?djoPage=view_html&djoPid=2707
|This retail business article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|