|Height||1.80 m (5 ft 11 in)|
|Agency||Wilhelmina Models (New York)|
Marilyn Agency (Paris)
d'management group (Milan)
Storm Model Management (London)
Karolína Kurková (Czech pronunciation: [ˈkaroliːna ˈkurkovaː]; born 28 February 1984) is a Czech-American model and actress, best known as a former Victoria's Secret Angel and Vogue cover star. Mario Testino praised the "proportions of her body and her face, as well as her energy level", which he said "ma[de] her a model who could fit almost into any moment". Vogue editor Anna Wintour called her the "next supermodel".
Karolína Kurková was born in Děčín, Czechoslovakia, to Josef Kurka, a Czech basketball player, and a Slovak mother. While Kurková was young, she was made fun of for her height. But after a friend sent photos of Kurková to an agency in Prague, at age 15, she landed a runway appearance, as well as gigs for commercial and print advertising. She later traveled to Milan to gain more experience and signed a modeling contract with Miuccia Prada.
In September 1999, Kurková appeared in the American edition of fashion and lifestyle magazine Vogue, and, after moving to New York City at the age of 17, appeared on the cover of the February 2001 edition.
Following her Vogue cover, Kurková became recognized at haute couture fashion shows. Additionally, the lingerie brand Victoria's Secret chose her to be a part of 2000's fashion show webcast, though she was only 16 at the time. Prominent fashion houses such as Yves Saint Laurent signed Kurková to contracts, while print campaigns for Chanel, Tommy Hilfiger, Max Mara, Bottega Veneta, Donna Karan, Celine, Fendi, Elie Saab, rag & bone, Jean Paul Gaultier, Roberto Cavalli, Valentino, Louis Vuitton, John Galliano, Mango, Christian Dior, Hugo Boss, Versace, H&M, and others helped expose her even more. In the 2002 Victoria's Secret Fashion Show, she wore the "Star of Victoria" Fantasy Bra. Other runway credits of hers include Alberta Ferretti, Alexander McQueen, Balenciaga, Calvin Klein, Carolina Herrera, Chanel, Christian Dior, Dolce & Gabbana, Givenchy, Gucci, Karl Lagerfeld, Louis Vuitton, Marc Jacobs, Prada, Ralph Lauren, Stella McCartney, Versace, and Vera Wang.
Kurková notably tripped on her long gown and fell down as she was leading the finale of the Versace Fall/Winter 2002 fashion show. However, it didn't hinder her career and she was named "Model of the Year" at the 2002 VH1/Vogue Fashion Awards, in part for her work ethic, having worked 23 weeks straight. Photographed by Steven Meisel, she was presented on the September 2004 cover of American Vogue as one of the "Models of the Moment".
Kurková has appeared on over 25 Vogue magazine covers internationally, including the French, Italian, UK, German, Russian, Greek, and Korean editions, and has also appeared in international editions of Elle, Vanity Fair, and The Face. She has worked with noted fashion photographers like Steven Klein, Mario Sorrenti, and Mario Testino. During the Christian Dior Fall/Winter 2004 Couture show, she was wearing a corseted princess gown that was so vast and outrageously ornate that she got stuck in the fabric and had to be manhandled off the catwalk.
After being contracted as a Victoria's Secret Angel in 2005, she was featured in the 2006 Victoria's Secret Fashion Show, showcasing the $6.5 million "Hearts On Fire" Fantasy Bra decked with almost 2,000 diamonds weighing 800 carats (160 g) with a centerpiece diamond brooch weighing 10 carats (2.0 g). During this same Victoria's Secret show, she opened the "Come Fly With Me" segment, dressed as a fantasized sexy air hostess. Due to a design flaw, her right shoe flapped opened and slipped off her foot half way down the catwalk, causing Kurková to continue walking with only one shoe on as nothing had happened. The video got more than 600,000 views, and the incident was soon considered a "legendary moment".
As an Angel, she received a star on the Hollywood "Walk of Fame" prior to the 2007 Victoria's Secret Fashion Show, appeared on the February 2008 cover of Esquire, re-creating the classic 1966 Angie Dickinson cover for the magazine's 75th anniversary, and was chosen as part of People magazine's 100 most beautiful people in the world. In December 2007, she was featured in print ads for Dell.
In the last Cía Marítima fashion show, Kurková's unexpectedly heavier physique brought criticism from the Brazilian press as having "too much back fat, love handles and cellulite". Kurková has a smooth indentation in place of a navel due to surgery she had as an infant, and photographs are often altered by the addition of an image of a belly button to hide this.
In November 2008, E! Entertainment Television voted her the world's sexiest woman, beating Angelina Jolie, Scarlett Johansson, and fellow Angels Gisele Bündchen, Heidi Klum and Adriana Lima. Kurková modeled for Bottega Veneta spring 2011 campaign in a classic Hitchcock style.
On 24 January 2011, Kurková was one of the most talked-about models of the grand show organized by the French lingerie brand Etam Groupe in the style of the Victoria's Secret shows. She notably opened the show in an underskirt holding a real living lamb. Later on in the show, she returned to the catwalk wearing a billowing black kimono complete with a five-meter train. When she was entering the catwalk, the garment's train slipped off the catwalk and got stuck under it, forcing Kurková to remove her whole cloak, to the audience's applause. The incident was widely reported in the media, to the point that the brand Etam published a video of it on their official YouTube channel.
In September 2018, Kurková became the first cover model of Vogue Czechoslovakia. The first released cover featured her from behind with a back tattoo that has a strong symbolic meaning to the history of the two countries in celebration of the 100th anniversary of the establishment of former Czechoslovakia.
Kurková made her film debut alongside Frankie Muniz, Harvey Keitel, and Amber Valletta in Howard Himelstein's 2007 coming-of-age dramedy, My Sexiest Year. She played Courtney A. Kreiger / Cover Girl in the live action 2009 G.I. Joe: The Rise of Cobra film. She was a guest judge on the fifteenth season of America's Next Top Model and fourth season of Germany's Next Top Model.
She appeared on the 2008 Academy of Country Music Awards along with Dwight Yoakam in presenting the "Top Female Vocalist" award to Carrie Underwood. In September 2010, Kurková guest-starred on NBC's Chuck season 4 episode, "Chuck Versus the Suitcase". She played "Sofia Stepanova", an enemy spy posing as a supermodel.
Kurková appeared alongside German model Eva Padberg on the reality television show Das perfekte Model, a model casting-show similar to Germany's Next Top Model. The show aired in spring 2012 on German television broadcast VOX. The show was canceled in summer 2012 due to low ratings. Kurková made a guest appearance on television series 30 Rock in Season 6, Episode 9 titled "Leap Day" in February 2012.
Kurková appeared as herself in an episode of Person of Interest, in a subplot where the character of Detective Fusco (Kevin Chapman) protects Kurková from Armenian gangsters. The subplot, which is interspersed throughout the episode, takes up less than two minutes of screen time and is played for comic relief. Kurková is also a supermodel coach on OXYGEN'S "The Face", alongside Naomi Campbell and Coco Rocha.
According to ABC News, she cooperates with pediatricians and healthcare providers to found Gryph and IvyRose, a herbal care product line for children.
On 8 January 2009, FoxNews.com reported that Kurková suffered from hypothyroidism, which led to her unusual heavier physique and caused Kurková to be panned by fashion critics, when she walked the runway for Cía Marítima and Victoria's Secret in June 2008 and November 2008, respectively. In February 2012 at the Council of Fashion Designers of America forum on "A Well Balanced Life", Kurková spoke about her thyroid problems:
I thought I was going crazy. I was having panic attacks every minute and I didn't know what was happening, because I've been a healthy person. I've exercised all my life. I've always eaten well and taken care of myself.
Kurková also said she developed symptoms of premature menopause and gained 30 pounds (14 kg). Robert McConnell, a thyroid specialist, pointed out that Kurková's case includes a spate of symptoms which "totality doesn't fit into one, neat little package".
In July 2009, she announced she was expecting her first child with her fiancé, Archie Drury. Kurková revealed that Drury had proposed to her while on holiday in Cape Town, South Africa, and they were married before the birth of their son, Tobin Jack Drury, which occurred on 29 October 2009. On 5 November 2015, Kurková gave birth to their second son, Noah Lee Drury. On 27 April 2021, Kurková gave birth to their daughter, Luna Grace Drury.
In March 2006, Kurková received an award from the non-profit organization "Women Together" for her humanitarian work. Kurková was honored for working for the welfare of children through organizations such as "the Beautiful Life Fund", "Free Arts", and "Global Youth Action Network". Kurková received the Atmosphere Magazine Award at the Madrid Planet Hollywood restaurant on 18 December 2003.
Kurková was named one of the world's "50 Most Beautiful People" by People magazine in 2004, and remains the youngest model ever to win "Model of the Year" at the VH1/Vogue Fashion Awards. She received a star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame in 2007.
She also received the GALA Spa Award in the category of "Beauty Idol", which was awarded by one of Germany's people magazines. In early 2013, Kurková released her own fragrance in cooperation with LR Health & Beauty Systems, an international operation company. The fragrance cooperation already earned Kurková a nomination at the 2013 Duftstar Awards in the category "Novelties – Lifestyle (Women)".
- "Portfolio". Storm Management. Retrieved 13 August 2020.
- "Karolina Kurkova". Retrieved 16 January 2020.
- "2007 Victoria's Secret Fashion Show". 2007 Victoria's Secret Fashion Show. 4 December 2007. CBS.
- "Sensational: Karolina!". MODELS.com. Retrieved 14 April 2011.
- Clout, Laura (17 July 2007). "Kate Moss is world's second richest model". Daily Telegraph. London. Archived from the original on 10 August 2007. Retrieved 14 July 2019.
- Blakeley, Kiri (16 July 2007). "In Pictures: The World's Top-Earning Models". Forbes. Retrieved 19 November 2013.
- "Karolina Kurkova on". Tv.com. Archived from the original on 29 January 2009. Retrieved 14 April 2011.
- "Karolina Kurkova interview at Victoria's Secret Fashion Show". Bellasugar. 19 December 2007. Retrieved 15 March 2010.
- "Karolina Kurkova Archived 23 May 2007 at the Wayback Machine".AskMen. Retrieved 4 June 2007.
- "Profile of Karolina Kurkova'.Fashion Model Directory. Retrieved 13 November 2005.
- Cristobal, Sarah (4 September 2014). "13 Embarrassing Runway Falls". ca.style.yahoo.com. Retrieved 2 August 2020.
- Bowring, Lizzy (13 February 2013). "Karolina Kurkova takes a drive at Versace's haute couture show". wgsn.com. Retrieved 2 August 2020.
- "Karolina Kurkova profile at nymag.com". New York. Archived from the original on 20 July 2009. Retrieved 27 June 2009.
- Mower, Sarah (6 July 2004). "FALL 2004 COUTURE Christian Dior". vogue.com. Retrieved 2 August 2020.
- Woollard, Deidre (14 October 2006). "Victoria's Secret Fantasy Bra for 2006". Luxist.com. Archived from the original on 16 April 2011. Retrieved 14 April 2011.
- Chang, Mahalia (13 September 2017). "Gigi Hadid Accidentally Loses Her Shoe On The Runway, Handles It Like A Pro". elle.com.au. Retrieved 2 August 2020.
- "Victoria's Secret Fashion Show – Karolina Kurkova [When She Lost Her Shoe]". youtube.com. 15 June 2008. Retrieved 2 August 2020.
- ter Brugge, Amelia (12 April 2014). "Victoria's Secret : a few legendary moments from our favourite show". weebly.com. Retrieved 2 August 2020.
- "Pop Tarts: Victoria's Secret Angels Have Ugly Days ... Except Adriana Lima". FoxNews.com. 15 November 2007. Retrieved 30 September 2013.
- "75 Years in 4 Covers". Esquire. 10 January 2008. Retrieved 11 June 2012.
- "Karolina Kurkova jugee trop grosse pour les podiums!". Peoplestar.tv. 16 July 2008. Archived from the original on 19 May 2013. Retrieved 14 April 2011.
- Carter, Nicole (22 November 2008). "Karolina Kurkova's bellybutton mystery solved". New York Daily News. Retrieved 14 April 2011.
- "Who doesn't have a belly button?". BBC News. 20 November 2008.
- Johnston, Lauren (21 November 2008). "E! votes supermodel Karolina Kurkova world's sexiest woman". New York Daily News.
- Lim, James (4 January 2011). "See the New Spring Campaigns for Dior, Prada, Versace, Gucci, and More". New York. Retrieved 18 February 2011.
- "Etam Lingerie Holds Huge Catwalk Show In Paris". huffpost.com. 25 January 2011. Retrieved 2 August 2020.
- "Etam's Star Studded Show". wwd.com. 26 January 2011. Retrieved 2 August 2020.
- "La traîne de Karolina Kurkova... !". Etam, on youtube.com. 2 February 2011. Retrieved 2 August 2020.
- "Vogue Expands Its Magazine Franchise to Two New Countries". ONN – Premium Social Network and Magazine. 23 August 2018. Retrieved 17 October 2018.
- "My Sexiest Year". IMDb. Retrieved 4 June 2007.
- Edward Douglas (19 February 2008). "In the Future: The Cast of Vantage Point". ComingSoon.net. Archived from the original on 26 February 2008. Retrieved 23 February 2008.
- "First Look Photo:Chuck vs. the Femme Fatale". E!. 23 September 2010. Retrieved 11 June 2012.
- "'Das perfekte Model': Padberg und Kurkova machen auf Klum". Stern (in German). 31 January 2012. Archived from the original on 1 February 2012. Retrieved 12 March 2012.
- (in German) Das perfekte Model Home vox.de. Retrieved 12 March 2012.
- Breia Brissey (24 February 2012). "'30 Rock': Treat every day like it's Leap Day". Entertainment Weekly. Retrieved 11 June 2012.
- Antoinette Bueno (10 January 2013). "Exclusive: A Supermodel On 'Person of Interest'". ET Online. Archived from the original on 22 October 2013. Retrieved 12 January 2012.
- "Karolina Kurkova on Anna Wintour: 'She took me under her wing'". ABC News. 25 September 2018. Retrieved 22 October 2018.
- "Supermodel Karolina Kurkova's 'Weight Problem' Revealed". FoxNews.com. 8 January 2009. Retrieved 23 April 2013.
- "Karolina Kurkova Labeled Too Fat". Huffington Post. 25 June 2008. Retrieved 23 April 2013.
- Jane E. Allen (10 February 2012). "Supermodel Karolína Kurková: Thyroid Caused Early Menopause". ABCNEWS. Retrieved 23 April 2013.
- "Karolína Kurková Is Pregnant! Archived 2009-07-17 at the Wayback Machine" People Magazine, 14 July 2009.
- "Karolína Kurková Gets a Sock Full of a Wedding Proposal". Daily News. 17 July 2009. Retrieved 19 November 2013.
- "Model Karolina Kurkova Has a Boy!". People. 2 November 2009.
- "Karolína Kurková Welcomes Son Noah Lee". People. 3 December 2020.
- "Karolína Kurková Welcomes Daughter Luna Grace with Husband Archie Drury: 'Our Little Angel'". People. 9 May 2021.
- "Karolina Kurkova on Instagram: ❤️🤍💙 I VOTED!! ❤️🤍💙 This is my first time voting since becoming an American citizen. Make sure you exercise your right and ⭐️v o t e⭐️". Instagram. Retrieved 2 November 2020.
- Kaufman, David (6 December 2017). "Model Karolina Kurkova shows off her private-island Miami home". New York Post. Retrieved 2 November 2020.
- "Magazine names beautiful people". BBC News. 29 April 2004. Retrieved 30 September 2013.
- "Karolina Kurkova – Fashion Model – Profile on New York Magazine". Nymag.com. Retrieved 19 November 2013.
- "The World's Top-Earning Models". Forbes. 27 May 2009. Retrieved 30 September 2013.
- "Karolina Kurkova – Star der Vienna Awards". news.at (in German). 12 March 2012. Retrieved 20 April 2014.
- "4711 ACQUA COLONIA Body Care receives the GALA SPA AWARD 2012". Worldpressonline.com. 23 March 2012. Retrieved 19 November 2013.
- "Karolina Kurkova | LR Health & Beauty Systems". Lrworld.com. Retrieved 19 November 2013.
- "Duftstars 2013 | LR Health & Beauty Systems". Lrworld.com. Archived from the original on 4 February 2014. Retrieved 19 November 2013.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Karolína Kurková.|