Karol Estreicher (senior)
|This article needs additional citations for verification. (April 2014) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
Karol Józef Teofil Estreicher (22 November 1827 in Kraków – 30 September 1908 in Kraków) was a Polish bibliographer and librarian who was a founder of the Polish Academy of Learning. While he is known as the "father of Polish bibliography", he is also considered the founder of the bibliographical method in literary research. His "monumental work", Bibliografia Polska is called the "most outstanding bibliography of Polish books, and probably one of the most famous bibliographies in the world".
After completing university studies in philosophy and law, he worked in the judiciary in Kraków and Lviv, where bibliography became his passion. Margrave Aleksander Wielopolski appointed him in 1862 as under-librarian and assistant professor of Bibliography at the Szkoła Główna Warszawska where he presented Bibliography for the first time as a standalone discipline. In 1868 he returned to Kraków and became director of the Jagiellonian Library where during a 37-year tenure he modernized and tripled its collection.
Works or publications
- Bibliografia Polska: Wydanie Towarzystwa Naukowego Krakowskiego (in Polish). Kraków: Drukarnia Uniwersytetu Jagiellońskiego. 1870–<2000>. OCLC 577286474. Retrieved 2013-11-06. Check date values in:
- Bibliografia Polska XIX stulecia: lata 1881-1900 (in Polish). Kraków: Nakładem Spółki Księgarzy Polskich. 1906–1916. OCLC 609911661. Retrieved 2013-11-06.
- "Karol Józef Teofil Estreicher (Senior)". Elektroniczna baza bibliografii Estreichera (in Polish). Kraków: Uniwersyt Jagielloński. Centrum Badawcze Bibliografii Polskiej Estreicherów. Archived from the original on 2013-11-06. Retrieved 2013-11-06.
- Suarez, Michael F; Woudhuysen, Henry R, eds. (2010). "Karol Józef Teofil Estreicher". The Oxford companion to the book. Oxford: Oxford University Press (published to Oxford Reference Online 2010). ISBN 9780199570140. Retrieved 2013-11-06. Check date values in:
- Zimmer, Szczepan K (Winter 1963). "Jagellonian University Library in Cracow". Polish review. New York: Polish Institute of Arts and Sciences in America. 8 (1): 65–68. ISSN 0032-2970. JSTOR 25776449.
- Ziffer, Bernard, ed. (1952). Poland, history and historians: three bibliographical essays. Mid-European Studies Center publications. 9. New York: National Committee for a Free Europe. p. 73. LCCN 53006596.
|This biographical article about a Polish academic is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|