|Length||172 km (107 mi)|
|South-west end||Old Princes Highway (B55), Murray Bridge|
|North-east end||Bookpurnong Road (B55), Loxton|
|Major settlements||Murray Bridge, Karoonda, Alawoona, Loxton|
The Karoonda Highway is a 172-kilometre-long (107 mi) state-controlled highway in South Australia linking the Murray River towns of Murray Bridge and Loxton. It was created after local councils called for the renaming of the B55 road route.
Route B55 starts at the White Hill Interchange on the South Eastern Freeway and follows the Old Princes Highway through the town of Murray Bridge and crosses the original bridge over the Murray River. The Karoonda Highway begins at Murray Bridge East. It heads north-east to the town of Karoonda, and from there, continues on to Alawoona. Thereafter it heads north to Kingston Road, where it turns east to Loxton, its north-eastern terminus. Bookpurnong Road continues on from Loxton, connecting the highway to Berri and the Sturt Highway.
In 2006, the local governments in the area, including Loxton Waikerie Council and Karoonda East Murray Council, called for the Loxton to Murray Bridge section of the B55 road route to be named Karoonda Highway, after the major town along the route. The B55 route actually extended past Loxton to Berri, which the councils initially didn't realise. By 2011, the route had been renamed Karoonda Highway from Loxton to Murray Bridge, and Bookpurnong Road north of Loxton to Berri.
|Murray Bridge||Murray Bridge East||0||0.0||Old Princes Highway|
|Burdett||6||3.7||Burdett Road – Mannum|
|Karoonda East Murray||Kulde, Wynarka||38||24||Kulde Road – Tailem Bend|
|Karoonda East Murray||Karoonda||62||39||– Lameroo|
|Loxton Waikerie||Alawoona||137||85||Cameron Highway – Paruna|
|Loxton||169||105||Kingston Road – Kingston On Murray, Waikerie|
- Google (26 May 2014). "Karoonda Highway" (Map). Google Maps. Google. Retrieved 26 May 2014.
- Naming of State Rural Roads: Murray Mallee, Riverland: Rack Plan 870 (PDF) (Map). Government of South Australia. 5 December 2013. Archived (PDF) from the original on 26 May 2014. Retrieved 26 May 2014.
- "Councils to pursue new names for highway sections". ABC News. 6 October 2006. Retrieved 26 May 2014.
- "Local govt group backs highway name changes". ABC News. 9 October 2006. Retrieved 26 May 2014.
- "Council backs highway name change". ABC News. 22 Jun 2006. Retrieved 26 May 2014.
- "RAA reveals the roads SA motorists rate as the worst in the state". AdelaideNow. 24 January 2014. Retrieved 26 May 2014.
- Nankervis, David (24 January 2014). "RAA reveals the roads SA motorists rate as the worst in the state". The Advertiser. Retrieved 26 May 2014.