Karpaga was born in a middle-class family of Erode in western Tamil Nadu, an only child, and left home at 17 for Mumbai. Karpaga worked at a beauty parlour as a beautician after finishing schooling. After returning to her family, five years later, her family was shattered but eventually accepted her.
Historically, transsexuals have been shown in a poor light in Indian movies. Karpaga acts as an intellectual woman who has difficulty in revealing her identity to her lover. The film stresses the need for families to accept transsexuals.
- indiaglitz.com, 9 July 2008, "MAN-TURNED-WOMAN to star in a film"
- tamilmegatube.com, 8 July 2008, "Transgender in lead role!"
- scribd.com, reprint of 19 August 2008 "Ergo" article "The Other Gender"
- by Firoze Shakir, firozeshakir.com, 18 May 2008, "A beautiful story titled Paal", Retrieved 26 September 2008
- kollywoodtoday.com, 18 May 2008, "A beautiful story titled Paal"
- timesofindia.com, 8 July 2008, "Transgender to play lead in Tamil film"
- timesofinda.indiatimes.com, 8 July 2008, "Transgender to play lead in Tamil film"
- bharatstudent.com, "Transgender becomes a hero!!!"
|This article about an Indian actor or actress is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|