|This article needs additional citations for verification. (November 2015) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
Main entrance to Karrakatta Cemetery
|Owned by||Metropolitan Cemeteries Board|
|Number of graves||>201,000|
|Number of cremations||>189,000|
|Find a Grave||Karrakatta Cemetery|
|Footnotes||Karrakatta Cemetery - Billion Graves|
Karrakatta Cemetery is a metropolitan cemetery in the suburb of Karrakatta in Perth, Western Australia. Karrakatta Cemetery first opened for burials in 1899, with Robert Creighton. Managed by the Metropolitan Cemeteries Board, the cemetery attracts more than one million visitors each year. Cypress trees located near the main entrance are a hallmark of Karrakatta Cemetery. The cemetery contains a crematorium, and in 1995 Western Australia's first mausoleum opened at the site.
The entrance (known as the Waiting House) includes a structure designed by George Temple Poole.
People interred at Karrakatta Cemetery include: Prime Minister John Curtin, Governor-General Sir Paul Hasluck, author Joseph Furphy, Qantas co-founder Paul McGinness, Premier Sir John Forrest and John Scaddan, Auber Octavius Neville, Matthew Raymond Locke MG, Monty Miller, and William Baldwin (member of the New Zealand House of Representatives). In addition, the ashes of Academy Award-winning actor Heath Ledger were scattered on his family's plot in the cemetery.
- Thomas Axford
- John Carroll
- Sir Hughie Edwards
- Robert Gee
- James Heather Gordon
- George Julian Howell
- Martin O'Meara
- Clifford Sadlier
- Hugo Throssell
- James Park Woods
- Edith Cowan
Karrakatta Cemetery contains the graves of 106 Commonwealth service personnel of World War I and 141 of World War II, besides a Dutch naval sailor of the latter war, divided between the cemetery's various denominational plots. In addition, the Commonwealth War Graves Commission has a memorial to 15 Australian service personnel - 2 sailors, 9 soldiers, 4 airmen - who died in World War II and were cremated at Karrakatta Crematorium.
- [dead link]
- Karrakatta Cemetery: Rich with heritage...caring for precious memories (brochure). Government of Western Australia, Metropolitan Cemeteries Board.
-  Archived February 23, 2006, at the Wayback Machine.
- https://web.archive.org/20131105115816/http://inherit.stateheritage.wa.gov.au/Public/Inventory/Details/0c7be395-14d0-481f-b878-88153ef3be98. Archived from the original on November 5, 2013. Retrieved February 12, 2015. Missing or empty
-  Archived December 2, 2005, at the Wayback Machine.
- "News and Notes". The West Australian. 1 August 1917. p. 6. Retrieved 19 November 2015.
- "Heath Andrew Ledger (1979 - 2008) - Find A Grave Memorial". Findagrave.com. Retrieved 2015-11-19.
- "Vc Burials - Australia - Western Australia". Victoriacross.org.uk. Retrieved 2015-11-19.
- https://web.archive.org/20140826115944/http://www.cwgc.org/find-a-cemetery/cemetery/14119/PERTH%20(KARRAKATTA)%20GENERAL%20CEMETERY. Archived from the original on August 26, 2014. Retrieved February 12, 2015. Missing or empty
- [dead link]
- Karrakatta Cemetery - Billion Graves